Literature authors that inspire you/get in your head

Yes! Honesty and openness, that’s exactly it.

1 Like

I feel like I should try reading her stuff again. I got ~600 pages into The Goldfinch and just… stopped reading. Couldn’t push myself through those last 200 pages.

My favorites are

• Hanya Yanigihara I bawled for the last 75 pages of A Little Life
  • Khaled Hosseini The Kite Runner :sob:
  • Madeline Miller Her Greek myth retellings are fantastic
  • Tana French Her mysteries are so great— they delve into the why of the crimes more than the who
  • Margaret Atwood
  • Ursula K. Le Guin
  • Toni Morrison
  • Lois Lowry
  • Kurt Vonnegut (didn’t necessarily enjoy reading, but still got into my head)
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Tim O’Brien
  • Zora Neale Hurston
  • J.K. Rowling
  • Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (The Little Prince :heart: )
  • Khaled Hosseini
  • Madeline Miller (my favorite author [The Song of Achilles is my favorite book] and she will hopefully be remembered as a classic.)
1 Like

Seconded! I love her!

2 Likes

The last 200 pages was exactly when I couldn’t stop reading! :joy: But her books can be very dense, and the style can be tiring to read, so I understand a lot when people say they had to put it aside or just couldn’t do it (hey, it took me a year to finish the Goldfinch hehe)

I love Marquez! Especially “Love in the Time of Cholera” and the opening line to “One Hundred Years of Solitude,” which has got to be one of the best in literature the world over.

I’m generally skeptical of what i read in English classes because the English programs at the schools I attended were fairly generic and run by stodgy old white guys. So there was a lot of great fiction literature that I missed. Honestly, commuting by train in my early adulthood–in the days before wifi-- taught me more about literature than anything. It was when I was introduced to more contemporary masters like Zadie Smith, Donna Tartt, Margaret Atwood, and Michael Chabon.

Does anyone read those authors here?

@CaroIsabela I just finished reading her book The Chronology of Water - Oh it was so hauntingly beautiful! But it was really raw!

@SarahWeaver6 - :slight_smile: Me too! What is your favorite Romantic/Post modern? I think mine might be Peter Ferry’s Travel writing.

I can understand that. But for my part I enjoy the books and now that the plotlines of the show are past Martin’s published books, the shows don’t seem to have the same pithy, pulpy wit as the books. It’s not as quotable.

A guidebook can make a huge difference in reading “Ulysses”. It’s one of my two favorite books. “James Joyce’s Ulysses: A Study” would be a good reference. It’s short, done by a friend of Joyce with a lot of tips contributed by Joyce himself.

Have you read the Oscar Wilde biography written by Richard Ellmann? It’s terrific, and written by the same author who won awards and acclaim for his James Joyce biography, too.

No, I haven’t! I love reading biographies though, so I definitely have to have it. I just finished Salman Rushdie’s memoir Joseph Anton, and I thoroughly recommend it.

I’m glad everyone is mentioning Oscar Wilde, And I’m personally in love with Adam Silvera- his book ‘They both they both die at the end’ is the greatest gut puncher I’ve ever read, first book to make me cry in years.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to write like Evelyn Waugh. That’s probably hopeless! But he’s definitely someone who has inspired me and, for that matter, his spiritual predecessors of the 19th Century, such as Thackeray and Trollope and even Austen. All writers of beautiful, clean prose but also insightful of society and human nature—and capable of being simultaneously satirical and sympathetic to it.

1 Like

Angela Carter, Daphne du maurier, oscar wilde.

Shakespeare
Oscar Wilde
Angela Carter
Charles Dickens

2 Likes

OSSCCARR WILLDE

Some of favorite authors / book / why

Dostoevsky / Brothers Karamzov / his character interaction and tone is amazing. I wish I could read it in Russian.
Hesse / Narcissus and Goldmund / one of my favorite books (read it 3 times). His writing, prose, and character introspective is my favorite.
Cervantes / Don Quixote / I very much enjoy the fate and satire.
Voltaire / Candid / much like Don Quixote - it is sardonic humor at its best.
Hemingway / Sun Also Rises / he captures a time in Spain and characters.
Bukowski / Hollywood / while his stories are similar and not to the taste of many, his prose is raw and honest.
Powers / Declare / I enjoy alternative history and his does it better than anyone.
Asimov / Foundation Trilogy / one of the greatest SciFi works - based on the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Joanne Harris.
Neil Gaiman.
Cecelia Ahern
Angela Carter
Stephen King
Daphne du maurier