LOL35 Chat-thread for women writers aged 35+ (read 1st post before joining)

I click the notification I get and it still takes me to the top post…Is my browser outdated or something?

I’m afraid that I’ve no idea, my friend. Sorry.

Hey All! For some reason, I wasn’t getting notified that this thread was active and just thought everyone had gone super-quiet with NaNoWriMo and end of year stuff.

@Scarletletterheart - I did go to Wattcon (and went last year) and I had a blast! It was so awesome meeting and getting to know other, more mature writers in person, as well as folks from HQ. The focus of this year’s event was the “Writerpreneur.” The panels were good, but 1) I was hoping they would have had more industry professionals participating (especially since we were in New York) and 2) I missed half of them because I was gabbing with other Wattpadders out in the hall. There’s a post on here with links to the panels if you want to watch them.

Overall, I think it’s worth going if you plan on investing a lot of time on WP or you know a lot of other writers going. I don’t think they’re at the point, yet, where it’s helpful for writers who are interested in Indie or traditional publishing but aren’t terribly active on the site, although with the advent of Wattpad Next, that could change.

I got picked for the pitch session too and if they have more of those type of events–that are geared towards finding material to publish or develop–then it might be worth it as well. I think they were testing the concept out this year more so than looking for material, but if they could offer that as a part of the conference as it grows, it would bring more value given the cost of travel for most.

Glad you found your way back! New York is definitely where all the action is, so I’m surprised that there weren’t many industry pros at Wattcon. Maybe fanfics are a declining trend now? After the success of FSOG and After, I haven’t heard of any fanfics making waves. Maybe I’m ill-informed as I wasn’t into fanfics anyway.
I’m guessing that Wattpad is trying to attract more pros with the ‘Writerpreneur’ theme and with their Star program and the like…They can only seem attractive to people who have never tried KDP.

I wanted to say hello here — I’ve been meaning to post for a while now. I’m in my mid-forties and I write romance! I find Wattpad to be an interesting place for feedback and trends, especially compared to publishing on Amazon and other sites as an indie.

Hi Tamara! I write YA chicklit. I think Wattpad is a good place to study wattpad trends but don’t extrapolate too much (as I once did) :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi! Welcome :slight_smile:

Hey Tamara :slight_smile: Nice to have you with us =]

Heyo, welcome to “Oldies” world!

Hi - I’m KatJordan - 50+ - I live on a 5 acre farm with horses and alpacas, chickens and geese, and my husband.

I’ve been writing and DIY publishing a long time, I write Contemporary Romance, Paranormal Romance, a coming-of-age series Horsewomen of the Zombie Apocalypse and I’m editing and publishing my mother’s short fiction. We got started in 2010 on Amazon and she passed in 2012, but I’ve kept going with it as Icy Road Publishing.

One of Mom’s stories made the 2018 Watty’s short list, to my surprise. While I joined WP in 2012 I wasn’t active because of family stuff, so I’m still trying to figure it all out. It’s WAY different than it was in 2012.

Glad to meet everyone, looking forward to reading #grownupreads, 'cause I just can’t relate to HS anymore.

Hello fellow new person!

Welcome! I love Lamas, they have such beautiful eyes :llama:

Hi Kat, I’ve been on wattpad (with two profiles!) since 2011 and you’re right, it’s certainly changed since then! Talking of Zombies, have you checked out the wattpad Zombie profile? @WattZombie Might be helpful for you :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Mine is more a horsewomen/feminist adventure than horror, so I’m struggling to find the right readers. But, I’ll look around and see if I can find some folks who are interested.

Alpacas are beautiful. Here’s a picture of April Surprise and her mother.

Welcome, Kat! I’m jealous of people who get to enjoy wide open spaces and the active lifestyle that goes with it…Those alpacas are beautiful!
I’m sorry to hear of your mom’s passing… :frowning:
Hope you enjoy wattpad despite the many changes you have observed…I joined in 2014…Can’t believe it’s been that long :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you both!

I like the changes. Wattpad was just Authonomy’s little sister - Autho could get rowdy. This seems like a lively place, without the rowdies.

I started saving to buy a farm when I was 12. I’ve had these horses for more than 20 years. The alpacas are kinda new, to me. I’ve learned to spin my own yarn!

Wow! Authonomy! That’s a blast from the past! Very cute alpacas :slight_smile: :llama:

I need to brush up on my Html so my photos post smaller.

Hey Paula,
Nice to see you here. Thanks for the great summary of your experience at the conference. I’m surprised they didn’t have more industry professionals either – considering the location.

Congratulations on getting a pitch session. Who did you pitch to? Wattpad, or who? I’m a bit confused.

Hi Tamara,
Nice to see you here. Where are you based, and do you write as your career, or do you have a day-job?