LOL35 Writing group for women writers aged 35+

So I’m a bit late getting back to the chat and there are 68 updates??? *goes to read…

What’s the book on your nightstand? That’s what we were talking about…

I’m just catching up with the posts… I’m reading Hotel Vendome by Danielle Steel.
@IvoryInklings Nice to meet a fellow Indian :slight_smile: On the topic of Chetan Bhagat, I hated his ‘Half-Girlfriend.’ It had no plot, the story was confusing, the characterization poor and the end was a disappointment. I only like his ‘2 States’ and I thought that it’d make a great movie someday. The movie was a hit thanks to the talented lead actors.
Have read all the stories of Khaled Hosseini. I liked The Kite Runner more. The male protagonist in A Thousand Splendid Suns made me want to wring his neck so many times.
I didn’t like After too. It was bad, tbh. I read it just out of curiosity. The fact that it was a raging success compelled me to have a look.

“Juliet Naked” by Nick Hornsby

I wanted to watch the movie and I generally like reading the novel before watching the adaptation

2 States: I’ve read that one too, very relatable.

Me too…To think some women have to endure such men in real life

Lol - I have let me count… six books ready to read on my nightstand. Currently reading a library book, “Kissing the Demons” by Kate Ellis, which is a mystery. I bought “The Break” by Marian Keyes a little while ago but I’m saving it up :slight_smile:

Plus I’m trying to keep up with 16 other entries for the ONC on my laptop!

Wow…You need a big nightstand :smiley: Wish we had a good library nearby…

@SallyMason1 @lhansenauthor @AnnWrites

I’m going to be outlining my next book TO DEATH! and if it doesn’t work, well, I’ll figure that out, but for the moment, that’s the plan. Mostly I want to see if I can do it. But also, my last book was a catastrophe that required soul-sucking revisions and i want to avoid that. I’ll let you know how it goes.

@AnnWrites @elveloy @lhansenauthor @Nablai @BridgesTunnels

I’ve got a few books on my nightstand as well, but the two worth mentioning are: Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer (can’t wait to start), and The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (which I’m almost finished). I met Mary at a conference and she is a very interesting and funny, and heart-felt person, so I just WANTED SO BAD to love her writing. But I don’t… :expressionless:

You read a lot of different genres, don’t you? Which one do you read the most - sci-fi? I think sci-fi has a lot of sub-genres but I’m rather ignorant about them.
I read some sci-fi in my childhood and then I broke the spell with The Martian. I stayed away from Artemis as it had bad reviews, but then I read the preview pages and got tempted…

That reminded me of a quote in Catcher in the Rye
"What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn’t happen much, though.”
― J.D. Salinger, [The Catcher in the Rye]

I wonder if it’s possible to love a book but hate the author when you meet them in person…Or find them very boring in person. Just as it’s possible to love a person but not their book.

Which authors would you like to meet in person?

My favourite author was a legend, who I am lucky to have met in person twice, and that is Ursula K. Le Guin. She was so wonderful in person that I loved her books even more.

I somehow doubt the authors of my favourite books would be boring (or worse). I love a book with BIG heart that explores issues that are important to me. I don’t go for vanilla books, tbh. I would like to meet William Gibson and Margaret Atwood. I’d also like to meet Rebecca Stead. William Gibson lives in Vancouver, so I see him around ALL the time. I actually go for breakfast regularly in a cafe where he goes. But I never have the nerve to say hello. I think he’s very nice, but he seems incredibly private, so I don’t want to bug him. I wrote a letter to Margaret Atwood once. About one of her books. Haha! I didn’t think she’d respond, but she did! But it was just a form letter, saying thanks. Rebecca Stead is my new favourite author. She writes middle grade romance (aka, no kissing, just ‘feelings’) and the voice in her novels is fabulous. Her book When You Reach Me (not romance, but very, very light sci-fi) knocked me out of this world. Just, gah! so good. She’s the one who sold me on middle grade – that it could be more than just kids books.

What about you – what authors you’d like to meet?

Edit: I read mostly sci-fi and non-fiction. But I’m breaking out of the box lately. My new amazing, wonderful, fantastic, love-her-to-death, will-never-let-her-go Critique Partner writes romance (and fantasy/sci-fi), so I am reading some romance so I can be a better critique partner for her. She gave me a list of her biggest influences.

I’d like to meet JK Rowling, but I probably wouldn’t approach her at a cafe, either. I’ve read many of her interviews and there’s not a single question I’d like to ask which hasn’t already been asked. Besides, I’m rather annoyed that according to her website Pottermore, I’m not even a Gryffindor :wink:
I don’t like any author so much that I just can’t imagine not liking them in person. I tend to like strong, opinionated authors. In person I might be offended by some of their views, or find them too quirky/crazy.
A book is a limited frame of reference. It’s like sticking a photo-frame on a big wall. You can like the part of the wall showcased by that tiny photo frame. But you might not like the whole wall.
I think good authors have a good imagination, they have an entertaining way of thinking and expressing themselves. They are not necessarily good human beings. Though I’m sure JK Rowling is a wonderful human being. She has done a lot of good work and donated a lot of her income to charity. She has really ‘walked the talk.’

Edit: Most of the books I like are best-selling books, but I wouldn’t call them ‘vanilla’ books. But what seems like an exotic flavor to me might seem vanilla to someone else.

I’d love to meet the first two authors who made me love reading -

Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume.

My favorite authors are Dean Koontz and Judith McNaught. Two polar opposites. One thriller/horror and one romance/historical fiction. I have Bambi and Watership Down on my nightstand now. I’ve been contemplating writing a fantasy based on animals :slight_smile:

Loved Beverly Cleary! Her book ‘The luckiest girl’ is so evocative. I could imagine all the sights and smells of California, all the innocence of being a young teenager with stars in your eyes…

I read Judy Blume (Are you there, God) but just couldn’t relate. I think American girls must be more like that.

I loved Judy’s sillier stuff “Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing” and “Superfudge” prepared me for parenting my boys :blush:

I used to work in a Call Center in the States, and I’d spend a lot of time talking to my counterparts in India, Pakistan and the Phillipines. It was always neat to have so much in common, without really knowing each other.

I agree! It’s the fantasy that matters!

It’s a big step with lots of pitfalls.

I think I’ve seen you on the blog Kris Writes, have you been there?

The billionaire trope might sell boatloads of books - but I’d be bored to death writing it. OTOH - I’d love the CSR meets Billionaire and says no’ book in a heartbeat.

I’m more into the Wounded Warrior trope than billionaires. I’ve known some rich men, and I just don’t like them.

Give me a middle class man with a sense of humor and I’ll live in joyful poverty. Oh - wait - where am I? LOL