LOL35 Writing group for women writers aged 35+

(I WONDERED where those things came from!!!)

Been gone for awhile, so I’ll just jump in. :grin:

I do think that Next may be the chance for those of you who write for adults to get paid for your work and grow an audience. I just noticed that they added a new crop of books to Next (cough, cough - Lina, would you like to share???) and one of them is an ocean adventure novel with only 16,800 reads by some guy I’ve never heard of or encountered once in my 2 1/2 years here.

I also know that other factors can generate interest, very general interest mind you, as far as their other initiatives. So, I do think it’s about finding a fit as much as it is about millions of reads or followers. And the Next program will probably be the most widely accessible for writers, in general. It’s the one I’m most excited about (although, don’t get me wrong, I’d be over the moon if they wanted to turn one of my stories into a TV show!) :slight_smile:

Yes! Preach, girl, preach! :raised_hands:t4:

LOL - I know how much it hurts to have a book die on the vine. ‘Swallow the Moon’ broke my heart. I’m still not over it.

I worked so hard and it didn’t do half as well as the first book, which had so many problems…So I completely understand how you ladies feel!

I’m facing the same issue. My second Dork book has not done as well as the first one, though I worked much harder on it. Hopefully the third will. I’ve tried to preserve the silliness and the over-dramatic voice that my first book had.

Not much to share yet, the story only went live yesterday. Feedback so far is benign, but mainly means, they slap my free stuff into their reading lists, lol.
I think NEXT is still in a testing phase, but definitely evolving and the ideas behind it are sound. the big challenge will be getting the right audiences onto Wattpad. Some of the stories have them already. the audience for my cozies is limited. But the simple fact that somebody chose me, instead of me having to pant after uninterested agents is great. I’m very open for any kind of experiment people throw my way. WP is like a giant lab, and that suits me just fine.

I mean, they featured the sequel to my Watty winner, which has very few reads so far. But yes, I wrote it in the same style and did the same quality checks. They’re both first drafts, but I tend to go nuts over my drafts. As do quite a lot of others. I find it fantastic that WP is trying new ways. They are gaining critical mass to nudge quite a bit of the traditional industry around.
I’m totally chuffed to be part of that process

I’m interested in seeing what happens to Next. It seems like Wattpad is going in a postive direction for writers.

It gets frustrating! SOOOOO frustrating!

I’ve gotten better about letting go of books once I publish them. It’s a bear. They have claw marks on the covers when they go out and tear stains when they flop.

I’ve done new covers and re-launches I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on covers! No avail. Free days, free weeks, a free month in progress.

Nada.

But BACKLIST is the most important thing a writer can have, because some people will read an entire catalog. I’ve seen them do it with the I. C. Talbot ebooks, just not mine. :frowning:

I’m trying new Facebook ads with lookalike audiences based on people who clicked on my links and engaged with prior ads. I’ll let you know how that goes. The free days don’t work for me anymore, but the Kindle Countdown deal days together with some FB ads showed a huge boost (just a little over 200 sales in one week and tons of page reads). Trying more of them next weekend.

After checking your Amazon page, I think your covers don’t work in your favor. I like the approach of your Horsewomen series and the Swallow the Moon, but the font doesn’t match which takes away from the overall effect. The Girls Who Wear Glasses has a good image – but the font – not so much. The only cover I really liked is Beware Marjorie (though the author name could pop more) and the Let’s Do Lunch.

Covers are tricky and if you aren’t graphically creative, they can drive you insane (and keep in mind, my feedback is just one opinion going on first impressions – there might be readers who love the covers). When my designer sends me something, I can’t even figure out which ones are good, so I usually ask readers in my target group to pick one. I also have a designer I trust to evoke emotions, so that’s an added bonus. I used once a different designer when my usual one was sick and it turned out badly. Ended up redoing it.

I think your blurbs are great, but I would space them out more, and maybe bold the tag line. The way they are now, they are hard to read. Your sales page needs to draw readers in – and if you don’t hit the blurb and cover, most won’t check out the reading sample and even less will buy.

Don’t keep burning money on a book that doesn’t sell. I’m not saying marketing doesn’t work - it does, but how do you know which component is not working? I think most often the culprit is when the book doesn’t meet genre expectations (based on your blurb)

Swallow the Moon and The Emissary were both done by the same cover artist ($$$). I can’t afford to have him to all the covers, so I’m stuck doing them myself.

I just re-did all my Short Fiction covers this fall to make them all have the same font - branding was the goal. The brand is I. C. Talbot, not K. A. Jordan since my own stuff no longer sells.

Girls Who Wear Glasses frustrates me. I see the red lettering not the white.

I don’t know what you mean about the sales page blurbs. Can you explain?

Wow that is awesome-sauce!! Hope the lookalike audience option works. I read good things about it in an article, all the best!

Hope it happens soon for your books too

Just found your blog! How are the co-branded books with both your names doing?

Yes, you’re right. It’s not a typical Paranormal Romance. No vampires, no werewolves, no steaming hot sex by chapter 3. (Sigh)

I thought I could do a fresh take and – not so much. I got it all wrong. Just goes to show how critical Tropes are, even when we are tired of them.

The people in my hometown don’t like it because it uses Ashtabula as dark, impoverished urban setting.

I had another book planned for the same setting, and I quit when I realized the book wasn’t going to take off.

I don’t understand paranormal romance, though I did read Twilight. Is there any genre you read a lot? Write in that genre. In my case it was chicklit, so I stuck with that and abandoned my attempts at all other genres.

MUCH better! “Luck of the Draw” got short listed here on WP and the ladies in HQ are all excited about it. They sent me new covers!

Mazie’s Diner hit big in my home town. I’ve sold 30 paperbacks and maybe a hundred copies. Which sparked some more sales in the Talbot catalog and I’ve had good reads/sales in Nov & Dec which really lifted my spirits.

My Author blog - I had to take that down. I got hacked by the Russians and the Chinese stold my URL! It was bonkers!

I read SciFi - and The Emissary is as dead as Swallow the Moon. The absolute irony is that my mother’s short stories sell, my stuff doesn’t.

That is even more scary than the wattpad mirror site piracy :frowning:

Oh! That is a tough, sci-fi is not one of the top-selling genres.

I dabbled in politics on my author blog and I was vocally against some Flame Wars started by Agents against Indie writers in 2008 - 2012. So it’s better if it doesn’t come back. Times have changed, and I’m willing to let WattPad HQ agent for me.

It’s frustrating, but I’m changing focus and going with what works! No sense beating a dead horse, as they say, so I’m going for it with Mom’s literary fictionl.