LOL35 Writing group for women writers aged 35+

Would be great if you could share that link.

Hello! May I join? I am not 35… I am younger but I usually enjoy staying around elder people.I have more to learn from them. Of course as long as you are okay with this…

You need to privately message @shalonsims on WP (instructions are in the first post). She is the thread admin.

OMG how on earth did you catch them all?? :smiley:

I just saw this meme and had to share

I’m afraid I haven’t published. If it’s okay with you, I can send you some links on Discord DM :slight_smile:

Update: Please have a look at your DM, Katherine :slight_smile:

I really hope that you get that job :slight_smile:

@elveloy
Vera, that’s hilarious! Was it the type of paper that folds up like an accordion? I can just see that! hahahah!!

Good luck with your writing.

@KAJordan2
That sounds like a very weird interview. My fingers are crossed for you.

That happened to me just last week. The guy just blabbed on and on. My experience is that when the interviewer talks more than listens, it usually means I’m not getting the job, but not because they don’t think I’m a good candidate, but because they already met or even personally know the candidate they want to hire, and they need to fill that 30 minutes with something, and it shouldn’t be something about me because then they might feel bad about being a nepotist if they find out they like me.

Office drama instalment 5

So here is the results of the conversation. My boss was pretty angry. He admitted to reading the email. I apologized. I also told him why I’ve been difficult at work (because I was disappointed at what he’d done), and that I should have talked with him earlier about it rather than becoming passive aggressive. I am pretty sure he was ready to fire me at the beginning of the conversation, but by the end he said I still had a job if I wanted it. I told him let’s see how it goes in the next month (I’m still not sure I want to work there under the circumstances).

He seemed much lighter by the end of the conversation, but I could tell he was upset about it again at the end of the day. He was short with me. I think it must have been pretty embarrassing for him to see my comments about him. I feel bad. UGh. HUGE LESSON LEARNED!

But it was good to get it all out in the air. Honestly, I have a kind of bad feeling about this. That it’s not going to be easy between us… it’s a foreboding feeling. But I’m going to do my best to let water under the bridge. We’ll see how it goes in the next month.

I’ve been working for this guy for 8 years… You know that saying, some people are in your life for a reason, some for a season, and some for a lifetime. I’m not sure where he falls… I have NO CLUE. But I do know that I’m going to show up for work and do the BEST DAMN JOB POSSIBLE!

I’m a home-maker/mother/wife and have never worked in my life. I don’t have embarrassing work disasters, but I do have enough social disasters to last me a lifetime :joy: Wish I could share some of them…

Nice to know that everything has cleared up. You have a chance to prove yourself. I know that you will do your best, Shalom :slight_smile:

This is SUCH a relevant essay, Paula! Seriously, I needed to hear this right now. I think this is exactly what I’ve struggled with for most of my adult life!

I LOVE writing, and I ended up writing for a living because I thought that would be great (it’s not. It’s okay, but you know, it’s NOT what I thought it would be). And right now I’m also thinking about my artwork, my creative writing and all bets are off right now for me. I’ve always wanted to be a published author since I was a kid, but coming up against the possibility that I might not be able to get published (it’s a tough market, everyone is a writer these days), and then what am I left with?

This article really reminded me that I need to get back to writing for the joy of it. For the joy of it. Not to monetize it. That’s where it went sideways.

For those of you who haven’t read the article, here are a few snippets:

We live in the era of the hustle. Of following our dreams until the end, and then pushing ourselves more. And every time we feel beholden to capitalize on the rare places where our skills and our joy intersect, we underline the idea that financial gain is the ultimate pursuit. If we’re good at it, we should sell it. If we’re good at it and we love it, we should definitely sell it.

We don’t have to monetize or optimize or organize our joy. Hobbies don’t have to be imbued with a purpose beyond our own enjoyment of them. They, alone, can be enough.

Here’s the article in case you missed it: https://www.manrepeller.com/2019/02/trap-of-turning-hobbies-into-hustles.html

The article also talks about how when we try to monetize our hobbies, we stop doing them in the way that we personally enjoyed, and start doing them in the way that will sell… I see this ALL the time. It’s happened to me!

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

Where have you tried to monetize your joy? Has it turned out well for you? Would you go back in time and do it differently? Has turning your hobby into a hustle caused you to fundamentally change the way you do your hobby?

Do share…My social skills are a disaster overall. I used to not care because I was too wrapped up in my own world…But these days I’m becoming more social and now I go from caring too much, to pretending that I don’t care (and not really succeeding). I still haven’t decided whether I want to care or not. I think I’ll be better off not caring, because I really can’t fit in and be normal.

Horrifying about the auto-forward! Eeek!

I feel sick just imagining it, but hopefully it will just blow over and not be a big deal.

Eight years is a long time…If you worked with him that long, it’s bound to have its ups and downs.

Good luck!

I love that you came right out and said it. Guys can just start getting over the fact that we women bleed and it’s normal and sometimes painful and irritating. It shouldn’t have to be any more embarrassing than a man getting a migraine or something.

I love this and I agree. Why do we seek validation in the form of money? The joy of doing something we love could be all the validation we need.

But now you have a story about Lauren Bacall being mean to you! Must have been awful at the moment…but cool story! (And sorry she was b-atchy to you. Ugh.)

That’s the right attitude. Sounds like an uncomfortable but ultimately productive conversation. Hang in there.

I don’t know if this counts as embarrassing (Nothing truly horrific comes to mind at the moment; I’ve probably blocked the memories, lol), but when I worked as a legal assistant, my boss, a medical malpractice attorney, had a trial regarding a botched surgery. We ordered a plastic male torso (like for clothing displays) and attached a blown-up image of the internal organs…stomach, intestines, etc. We ordered a large black bag to carry it in. I mean, it was pretty big. I had to meet my boss at court with this bag, and of course it had to go through security. The security guys just CRACKED UP when they opened the bag and saw part of a body in there. First time they’d seen anything like that. And then guess what? My boss didn’t even use the torso in her questioning.