LOL35 Writing group for women writers aged 35+

Thanks, I added the page to the bio. Still needs working on. Now they will probably shoot me because the main profile still is non business. Mamma mia, I never touched FB - for a reason. It’s confusing and unhlepful. I’m totally blown with this stuff, I spent hours today but got nowhere. Today was a very bad day anyway. But that tip was helpful. The linahansenauthor page has likes, the other one friends, so I presume i must have done something right i.e. I created a business identity after all. However, the main profile is non business and I cannot change it.
Question - when you say author profile, do you have a separate profile or is it, like mine, a business page under a main profile.

It;s correct the way you have it. You always have one personal profile as a base, even if it’s in your author name – it has to stay personal. Just make sure you don’t send business announcements out from there or FB will shut you down since it’s against their T&C.

My personal profile is pretty much dead. All activities run from the actual business page and the closed group for my readers. Once you are a little bit more familiar with the process, I walk you through creating the ad account. Just hop around for a bit and connect with friends and invite them to like your page.

About the job: I have my fingers crossed, but it’s been 10 years since my last Tech job. They might want someone more current.

I haven’t been able to get on the forums for 3 days, I think. Kept getting Amazon Cloud errors.

I’ve seen a couple of people mention they have a second pen-name here. I just finished a SciFi Robot story and posted it with a different name. Look for ‘Have Spaceship Will Travel’ if you are interested in reading. I’m using a version of my father’s name as my pen-name.

It is a business page under the profile. I have 3 - KAJordan Author, Jordan’s Croft and Icy Road Publishing.

Shaun?

Shaun is the pen-name. I’m using my mother’s I. C. Talbot so I figured I’d use Dad too, O’Callaghan was my great-grandfather’s name before he Anglicized it.

I used to think I was half-Irish, but 23-and-Me says it isn’t so. LOL

Thanks for the reads!

I wouldn’t call it a fragmented approach…It’s just that we all have different goals. If I wrote purely for my enjoyment, I wouldn’t care if my writing fulfilled genre requirements. (I’m not implying that you don’t, just that I would continue to experiment with different genres)
I do have other hobbies which I haven’t monetized. But writing? Well I used to be a copywriter and copywriters are compared with prostitutes :joy: Some say it’s worse than prostitution. A prostitute can keep their emotions out of it, but we had to develop feelings for our clients’ products. I think novel writing is much better…I have full control over the product and the marketing.

Just like to share this - yesterday we saw Dona Onete perform at Womadelaide. A woman from the Amazon in Brazil, she launched her first CD at age 74 about five years ago. Now she’s touring the world, even if she does get assisted across the stage and sits in a chair to sing. It’s never too late to shine! lol

PS She was great!! :slight_smile:

If you can dream it, you can do it. Passion defies age and overcomes the strongest obstacles. You just have to hang in there… :slight_smile:

I sell the yarn I spin from alpaca fleeces.

It helps pay the feed bills so my alpacas do a lot to support my horses. I started spinning to work off the stress of taking care of my step-father and the estate after he passed.

(It is an offshoot of my Zombie book research on how to make clothing once the lights go off.)

I’d have lost my mind without having this art to lift my spirits during that time.

The thing is that people adore quality yarn, so it doesn’t feel like a business. I end up spinning more yarn because people love it so. Alpaca yarn is insanely expensive in stores, when I can produce it easily. People still get sticker shock. I sell it by the ounce - $10 an ounce is giving it away, and women still recoil and wince.

Publishing my e-books was supposed to support me in my retirement. Not so far, though, so I guess I’ve taken them from a business to a hobby. Though just publishing a couple a year has certainly added up, I’ve got 30 titles.

I have changed the way I write my mom’s short stories. I put in the names of places to get people from her home town to buy more. It works.

The yarn comes across as light and beautiful. And the colours are lovely :slight_smile:

Thank you!
I used Koolade drink mix for those colors. The brown is a natural fleece mixed with green and orange. It took me 2 years to get comfortable enough with food coloring dyes to branch into acid dyes.

Oh. My. Lord!!!

Like you @KAJordan2, I’ve not been able to access the forums for, like, days! Everything technological is failing me: my computer, my internet, access to certain sites…even my cellphone was acting up! I’ve been SO frustrated. Argh! Which, of course speaks to how dependent I’ve become on technology, but that’s another thread.

Anyway…

@shalonsims and @all, I’m so glad the article resonated with you guys! I think it really hits the nail on the head as far as our current-day “Winning” mentality. The funny thing is, as much as I loved the article, that’s so not where my head is at these days. I’m not in the “how do I monetize my passion or make it a side-hustle?” state of mind; but rather, “how do I make money at something I enjoy?”

I think they’re actually two different mindsets, the latter being that I don’t look at publication, even self-publication, as the end-goal. I’d just like to make some money from my writing, especially if it’s passive income. Honestly, I’d write regardless, but I’d be going about it in a whole other manner. I think, for me at least, the whole “how can I make some money?” attitude makes it easier to put up with all the inevitable crap that comes with making writing a more professional pursuit. I’m not on as big a roller-coaster as some of you, pursuing publication or looking at self-publication as a full-time career; although, I’ve definitely had some serious ups and downs with the journey I’m on. It’s just a bit more contained.

@ShelleyBurbank - To your earlier point, I just started watching a documentary on Netflix called “Losers.” It’s a terrible title, but it addresses just that–our insane. modern-day definition of success. It’s personal stories, I think all of sports celebrities who got “thiiiiiis” close to getting an Olympic medal, or a National Title, or whatever, and were thwarted or self-sabotaged. It’s really good, and even if you’re not into sports and you have Netflix, check it out!

OMG! @SallyMason1, you owe me! (I don’t know, maybe some marketing advice at some point.) :slight_smile: Anyway, you’d asked about the agent Tweet about publishing to Wattpad first, then pursuing traditional publishing, and of course–me being an idiot–it turns out I did not bookmark or Like that Tweet. So, I spent 20-30 minutes (part of my above technological frustration), looking for the right keywords to try and find it–and finally I did! https://twitter.com/VictoriaLoder_/status/1101654823546445825
Of course, keep in mind that it’s just one agent’s opinion (and you probably already saw it by now), but there you are!

I was going to respond to a few more posts, but I think I need to step away from the computer for awhile. Seriously, it’s been three days of unadulterated, technological hell!

grin Welcome to Mercury Retrograde.

Thanks for digging around to find the tweet – I think it’s interesting since her basic message changes as she is more cornered into detail. From the “you can’t post anything online you want to sell to a publisher”, it pretty much turned into “you can’t keep anything online for free you want to sell to a publisher” (the latter is rather common sense).

I think ultimately, it will always come down to an agent’s/publisher’s personal choice. Those who flat out reject sites like WP are a little bit of a dinosaur and in my opinion, a dying breed.

Fun experience from my author cruise two years ago:

There was this editor from Sourcebooks who just despised WP. Nothing nice to say about it in a belittling way (as in “how good can an author be who decides to post online for free”). The interesting part was that Sourcebook was still collaborating with WP at this point to find new authors with the hashtag challenge and were about ready to release a popular WP book of one of my friends who this agent absolutely loved. Since the book was rewritten for mainstream readers, it apparently didn’t matter that it was once on WP. I guess this shows that everything is possible if you know how to package it.

Oh really…Then what about the thousands of digital and print books that trad publishers give out for free via NetGalley, begging for a review?
PS: HarperCollins is using NetGalley

I guess they view NetGalley as a promotional tool (and it sure costs enough)

There’s a cheaper way to use Net Galley - join Broad Universe. It’s a SFF org for women and they have a NetGalley account - but anyone in any genre can use it if they become a member. Membership is $30 and putting a book in NetGalley through them
Is $30. I’ve done this and it’s totally been worth it.

I used two Net Galley co-ops before. One worked great, the other didn’t. The problem with co-ops is that they have reader base with certain expectations. With the second co-op, the readers wanted predominately romance which my books didn’t have (and I didn’t know since the co-op advertised “for all genres”).

I found later out the hard way that the reader’s expectations weren’t met which cost me a bunch of one and two star reviews on Goodreads. Since then, I’m cautious who I collaborate with.

@SallyMason1 @TamaraLush
I’d never heard of Net Galley co-ops before…Thanks to you both I’m enlightened.

This is one of the major pitfalls of giving away free books. Many people who don’t read that genre download it and then post bad reviews just because it wasn’t their cup of tea. In my case, giving away excerpts has saved me from bad reviews. I got one bad review but it was posted to the book excerpt page. Of course I also got a bunch of good reviews and they also stayed on the excerpt sales page.