Looking for short stories to read

I’m looking for specifically short stories to read. I have read a few books lately that just tore my heart open and overwhelmed me with all these emotions… So, well, I’m looking to engage myself with some short stories now; that way, I can balance thoughts.

My "YES"s and "NO"s:

1. YES: Fluff and romance.
  2. YES: Light-reading.
  3. NO: Gore and graphic depiction of sex and violence.
  4. NO: Apocalypse, dystopia, futuristic worlds.
  5. NO: Single-part stories. I want, like, around 10-20 chapters, maximum. If each chapter in the story is very small (i.e., around 500 words), then it’s okay to have more than 20 chapters.
  6. NO: Fanfiction. Not that I hate the concept, but I just don’t prefer reading it at the moment. [Edit]

ALSO: Please add why I should read that particular book. It’s all right if you recommend your own or another author’s, but tell me why it is so unique and what I would miss if I didn’t read it. [Edit] I won’t read it, otherwise.

Please add your comment in the thread as below:

Title:
Cover:
Genre:
Why this book?
Do you want to read my story? [Don’t worry, the last bit was just a joke! But, if you really want to, then you’re free to go to my profile and pick a book!]

Edit: Please do link all books that you’re recommending.

3 Likes

Highly recommend @rosemaryandrue 's Sun and Shadow. It’s a novella- a little longer than a ‘short’ story, though still a very quick read.
But it’s super cute LGBTQA Romance fluff, with vivid writing and leaves you feeling really good in the end. Might be just what you are looking for!

If you like high(er) fantasy. I have a little 5K short story at the end of my novel, but it’s a stand alone short with some romance fluff and fantastical settings: Story of Us

3 Likes

Ooh, I’ve seen that around in the Community! Thanks a lot for your recommendation!

1 Like

Thanks for the rec pal!

@nerd_at_home I’ve got a quick, fluffy read of around 26k words total. I hope you enjoy it?

Sun And Shadow

Goofy boys guard sheep and fail catastrophically to communicate in pseudo-ancient Greece: a romcom.

It’s not fun to be the twin brother of the most beautiful woman in the world. Lysandros, junior Prince of Chaldis, could tell you that much. It’s even less fun when when an arrogant warrior comes seeking Phoibe’s hand and decides to cozy up to him to get it.

But when Niketas turns out to be a suspiciously more-than-alright fella who grows on him like mold? That’s probably an appropriate time to stop talking about fun and start shaking his fist at the gods, because what else can you do in the face of fate and glory?

If you like sunny stories, semi-accurate Greek mythology rehashed beyond all hope, or characters desperately trying to comprehend one another, this is the novella for you!

Sun And Shadow is complete! You can find it at https://www.wattpad.com/story/187403995-sun-and-shadow

Genre: LGBT/Romance/Fantasy

EDIT: I saw you’ve seen it already, oops :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Of course ^^

1 Like

I definitely recommend @LanaJoKing’s Story of Us too! It’s a short read, but it’s cute (and it’s like a gateway drug into the world of The UnTitled, which is their fantastic satirical fantasy series!)

2 Likes

Oh okay! Thank you! I’ll definitely check out both the books!

1 Like

Aww thanks Thor :slight_smile: You and I just coming on a hijacking the thread with joy for the other’s writing lol.

Thanks if you do. Hope you enjoy :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

I’m sorry, I can’t find “Story of Us” on the profile. Only “UnTitled”.

I actually can’t find it. There’s only one story listed.

For Story of Us? Oh it’s just little baby short in the back of The UnTitled. The link in the first post links directly to that chapter, if you are still interested in it ^^

1 Like

Lol, I’ve been scouring my brain for older novellas that I’ve read and enjoyed so that we won’t have hijacked it completely :joy:

@nerd_at_home I’ve got three more recs if you want them. They’re a little less fluffy, but still quite funny and I enjoyed them a lot!

@DonnaDarling1412’s Mr. Mortality and the Heart Collector is a fantasy set in early 20th century New York about a young man who becomes the Grim Reaper’s assistant and has to help solve a crime.
EDIT: It occurs to me there might be a bit of gore in this one. I don’t think it was graphic, though

@lemedlock’s The Witch and the Dragon is a fantasy romance which involves unlikely pairings and people traveling a lot on what was supposed to be a pretty short quest.

@IntoTheTempest’s Courting the Night is a wonderfully written series of fantasy ficlets that are kind of hard to explain without spoiling, but are really worth a read! They’re not quite fluffy, but not dark either.

1 Like

Yes! @rosemaryandrue and @LanaJoKing 's works are both amazing…

May I offer you my story?
It’s a Mystery Novella of 22 chapters (two of those are an epilogue and prologue). Chapter leangth on around 1000 words.

In Plain Sight :eyes:
20191116_210918_0000|

Or
Name:Unknown :grey_question:
20191116_205428_0000|

Recomendations

Courting the Night by @IntoTheTempest

1 Like

mr%20christmas%20cover

Usually her favorite time of year, Leann doesn’t feel much like celebrating after getting dumped by her fiancé, and receiving a alarming call from her sister about her dads latest fall. Alone and concerned for her dad’s well-being, Leann travels home to help take care of her family and try to get back in the holiday spirit. Leann will soon realize her short trip home will have a huge impact on her life. It will be a Christmas to remember, filled with memories, love and family.

ONGOING BUT FINAL CHAPTER WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW-SWEET ROMANCE SET DURING CHRISTMASTIME. FUN FACT…THE STORY IS BASED OFF OF A TRUE STORY:grinning::heart:

LINK: https://www.wattpad.com/story/206624945-mr-christmas

1 Like

Do you accept fanfiction?

@DahliasDesk

Thanks for the tag @LuliWrites but I don’t think any of my shorts or stories fit their requirements ^^

Wow, thanks so much!
And, that’s okay; you didn’t cross the line at all! :joy:

Yes, I found it. I’ll read it. Thanks so much!

1 Like