Looking for stories with great use of vocabulary.

The genres and themes don’t matter, as long as the ideas are well-done
Feel free to suggest your own stories if you’re confident in your vocabulary.

You can post only the link if you want, with cover and whatever else if you want to attract other readers.

15 Likes

I’m…pretty confident in my vocabulary? :grimacing:

My book is called Reluctant Companions. It’s a fantasy/adventure novel.

1 Like

I’ll check it out right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m pretty confident in my vocabulary, though I admit the first two chapters of my western are simpler than the rest. (I’m trying to not edit until I finish the story)

1 Like

Definitely check this one out!

Hey @Bunnygunny!

I’m very confident in the vocabulary used in my new WIP “Eternal Orchids”. It’s kind of a weird story to describe but it’s a dark young adult romance, almost a bit gothic but not horror, with plenty of twists and turns… it’s different to a lot of stuff out there (hopefully!)

I hope you enjoy it if you choose to take a look :blush:

ETERNAL ORCHIDS by Lucille Dixon
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/179210612-eternal-orchids

Orchids%20latest%20cover

The flowers are always in bloom at Edenhall Park…

When a beautiful but mysterious stranger offers nineteen-year-old Evelyn a fresh start, away from the tough life she’s been living on the streets, she jumps at the chance.

However, after arriving at the seemingly-magical Edenhall Park - an ancient, grand house where the young, beautiful and celebrated seem to live wild and free - Evelyn soon begins to realise things are not quite as they seem.

As Evelyn’s heart starts to fill with love and desire, it soon learns to ignore what her head is telling her and simply allow the beauty of Edenhall Park and all those who live there to consume her every fibre.

Can love really allow people to stay young and beautiful forever? Within the walls of Edenhall Park, it would appear so…

1 Like

Hey!:smiley: I think my story meets your criteria.
Heres a link to my story https://www.wattpad.com/story/172334250-ʀɛ-ɨռ-ʟɨɢɦȶ-editing
Its called Re[in]light. Its a fantasy

I think my vocal is pretty good, not so much in using big words but more so in the way I use words. I have some pretty cool descriptions and unique language, I’d say. Feel free to check it out here. :slight_smile:

I like my use of vocabulary. I use it when it’s necessary so you’ll see a lot of historical or ship jargon type vocab in my pirate themed YA Adventure/Romance!

Title Corvus (Stars and Sails, Book 1)

Summary Aiden Payne is a drifter. His only memory of home is a mysterious tattoo. While working as a gold miner, his path crosses with Amelia Rose Wagner, a sheltered girl in love with navigation and the stars. After a fatal mistake, the two find themselves running from the law. Fleeing may be their only escape, yet finding a way out might prove impossible.

Hundreds of miles away, Jade Harris’ father and crewmates have been murdered at the hands of an escaped pirate. When a bounty hunter after the same pirate offers her a job in exchange for the remains of the ship, Jade accepts. As she repairs her vessel, old enemies and secretive newcomers make her question everything she knew about her father and the attack.

Now, these three strangers must unbury the secrets of their shared pasts, but memory proves to be a very fickle thing.

Book One of the Stars and Sails Series.

Come Sail With Us! https://www.wattpad.com/story/190641540-corvus-stars-and-sails-book-1

Hello my coney compatriot :slight_smile:

The Testament of Lies, especially Cache-22, has a lot of punnery and archaic words in its works. I’ve a half-dozen cached to publish and a lot more hard copies to type up, but it’s definitely the one (of mine) to watch if you’re seeking etymological oddities.

Quaintise will deal with voice and fantasy. Fledgling work that is the only original WIP I’m doing at present. If the current releases engage you I’ll make a concerted effort to throw in some words for you as I progress :stuck_out_tongue:

Asylum Dreams is a psychological supernormal noir. Filth, gloaming and taboo will inveigle their way throughout the vignettes.

Of course I hope they all intrigue you, and any feedback will be appreciated, if you find be time to take a peek :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome to check mine out. I definitely try and keep my vocabulary robust and lively.

All her life, Saidy has only known two things: servitude to her slave master and the weight of a blade. Captured at a young age by a race of demons called oni, Saidy is forced to fight time and again against other slaves of the oni as their masters wager on who will win. Her desires of freedom were long abandoned until she meets a mysterious figure who inspires her to free herself from her master by any means possible. He promises her a new life, but never specifies freedom, and she finds herself trading one master for another. However, this new master holds a dark power that threatens the Northern Realm of Tallenhiem, and Saidy finds herself fetching a rare artifact for him to use in his lust for power.

Too late does she realize the weight her actions carry in the Northern Realm’s future. Which leads her to one burning question-what will she do with this revelation?
Find out in The Dragon’s Valkyrie!

I’m pretty confident in mine I guess :blush: although It’s very recent and I just started, but it’s called Love, Nate if you’d like to check it out.

I’m fairly confident in the expression of my ideas, but it also might not be up your alley - worth the look! It’s based on a small town murder mystery called The Psychopath Next Door.

I like to think this book uses some pretty good vocabulary :wink:

Come Hell or High Water
Link
Summary - Recovering alcoholic Sam isn’t quite ready to let go of his failing marriage.
Gord gave up his dream to care for his dying father, and now he’s trapped by an inheritance he doesn’t want.
When Sam’s new job sends him to Gord’s remote farm in the heart of the Canadian prairies, it isn’t long before the two find themselves leaning on each other in ways neither expected; but between flood and wildfire and the echoes of the past, love and happiness aren’t always as simple as finding someone who might want to be your second chance.
Status - Complete
Genre - Novella/Slice of Life/Romance/Recent History

1 Like

Hi! So here’s my New adult Romance, Mea again (completed).

Mea again

Mea%20again

Description:
“No matter your problems, face them with a bright smile and a bucket of chocolate ice-cream,” nana once wisely told me. At the time, I was barely twelve and thought that I could summon a unicorn if I just believed in myself. Blame it on cartoon creators who thought it’d be a good idea to make everything all pink and glittery […]

A decade later, despite my massive student loans and almost nonexistent love life, that piece of advice was all I needed to maintain good mental health and earn myself some lovely padded hips. Little did I know that a horrific monster was lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to strike and scare the living daylights out of my naïve and helpless self.

‘There she goes again with the metaphors and literary witchcraft…’

Did you really have to make an entrance right now, conscience? I was about to get to the exciting part. As I was saying, that hideous monster popped out of nowhere and there was no ice-cream bucket big enough to vanquish it. Hence, I only reacted the way an average person such as myself would.

‘You gathered your forces and made it creep back into the shadows? It realized that you were too nice and boring to be messed with? Or did Prince Charming arrive, on his white horse of course, and saved little helpless you?’

Nope, not exactly and definitely not. I ran away and left everything and everyone I ever cared about behind.

‘Remind me again why we’re having an emotional trip down memory lane?’

Because it’s about time I went back and fixed everything.

Read Mea again

Hope you like it.
Love, hugs, and lots of chocolate
Maryse♥

sad sigh in MG vocab

What do you consider great use of vocabulary, though? Large and fancy words?

Hello! I know of a couple you might be interested in.

Bearheart by @MMicheleWilly

Summary: Far in the Frozen North live the Rogalanders, the so-called “bear-people.” Every year, the devout who are coming of age receive a tattoo - a Mark of Endil, which reveals to its bearer the destiny that the gods wrote for them.

The day of Hala Freylisdotter’s Marking, originally supposed to bring with it joy and celebration, is ruined by an unexpected murder. The subsequent arrival of a bloody woman from a rival nation forces Hala to choose between the safety of home and the promise of glory for fulfilling her fate. She and her friends embark on a cross-continental mission, during which they discover a conspiracy and are thrust into the dangerous underbelly of international politics.

In the face of betrayal and death, the young Rogalanders are forced to break old relationships, forge new bonds, and grapple with the answer to one question: how much are you willing to sacrifice to protect your country?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/166762806-bearheart

A Wrath Unseen by @ShaneMDenham

Summary: Lives come unraveled when dead men speak…

and Alice has just heard the voice of the dead.

Her days of looking into the face of death are long behind her, buried in a tortured past. But when she visits her high school principal’s office, and her death-visions return, she finds herself faced with something truly terrible: a body snatching monster that only she can see.

The creature soon comes for her, tracking Alice to her home and hunting her through her own neighborhood.

Alice manages to escape the monster, rescued by a trio of strange siblings with even stranger abilities, but when her brother disappears, kidnapped by the creature, Alice must decide if she is willing to abandon the normal life she’s worked so hard to build and dive deeper into this dark world she’s discovered. With the help of her mysterious new friends, Alice will have to find the strength to rise above her fears and save her brother.

Can she learn the secret of her death-visions before it’s too late? Or will her brother pay the ultimate price?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/194898681-a-wrath-unseen

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure my story meets your criteria. XD
Here is the link
https://www.wattpad.com/story/157351254-athena-wolfborn

I’ve been praised for (and I take quite some pride in) my use of words, so have a look, see if these might interest you :point_down:

in which her heart is thawing
ingrid’s best friend happens to be a bartender she occasionally sleeps with - which says a lot about how and where she likes to spend her time - who once described her as having “a conscience but not a heart.”

that’s something she has to come to terms with, after she learns about the damage she’s inflicted on a former lover who’d been nothing but good to her. because now she’s got new prey in her clutches and she promised to let it go before she breaks it.

tough part is, the wishful-thinking fool would rather be eaten alive…and she has to figure out how to let him down slowly enough for the fall not to kill him.

new adult - not rated mature

Whiskey Latte (completed)
novella

in which she unearths her demons
alcohol and caffeine is what it takes to live the big city life…and ingrid needs it now more than ever.

an important promotion takes her from the relative safety of the home she had built in berlin, back to london where her past lies in wait. she spirals out of control when it all becomes too much, but she powers through, broken, her pieces barely held in place by the same old destructive habits.

one thing keeps her going, though: her long-lost friends, who welcome her back in their midst - and ingrid nearly throws her career under the bus to rescue one of them from a fate that, once upon a time, could have been her own…

(direct sequel to “Whiskey Latte” but it stands well enough on its own; completed, regular weekend updates)

adult - rated mature

Vodka Espresso
vodkaespresso