Magical Girls!

Have any of you watched any magical girl shows? Or read or written an original story in the magical girl genre? I’m just curious, b/c I’ve been writing mine for the past 2 years now, and it’s been a blast writing it. What magical girl stories have you read (if any)? What magical girl shows have you watched (if any) that have inspired your magical girl story?

2 Likes

I am currently working on one. I don’t know if it is magic yet but she has paranormal powers that she is unaware of.

1 Like

A protagonist who is unaware of her powers? Interesting. I can just imagine all the shenanigans that’ll cause!

1 Like

I have a character like that, though I haven’t written her story yet. She’s a dragonborn sorceress who gained her powers by touching the final page in an enchanted book that she didn’t know was enchanted. She acts like she’s brave but inside she’s a huge coward and tends to hide when things get particularly dangerous, much to the chagrin of her friends

2 Likes

Oh, the shenanigans get very weird, ha… she is completely in the dark the whole time.

That sounds interesting. The character leading a double life is always a good dramatic device.

Interesting characterization! I like amiable cowards. The face that they get scared means that there’s some room for them to grow as characters.

Definitely. Sorine may be a coward, but she definitely won’t be one forever!

I’ve had the idea for Henry Rider: Clown Hunter for more than a year, but I never really wanted to write it until I started watching Star Vs the Forces of Evil on Hulu. It started out being a silly, lighthearted adventure like that show, but eventually I changed it so it was more like Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a more comedic edge.

Sailor Moon was an obsession when I was 8 or so. I even had dolls of Sailor Mars (my favourite) and Mercury. Still have them somewhere, probably in the attic and I intent to keep them.

There were a few other magical girl anime I used to watch, too. I know one of them was called Wedding Peach, I don’t remember what it was exactly about anymore beyond the fact that the girls’ costumes were wedding dresses.

I also really loved Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne and Card Captor Sakura.

I do have a magical girl inspired story idea in the back of my mind, but apart from the fact that the MC will most probably be an alien princess stranded on earth I haven’t really come up with anything else. It’s a very vague idea at this point and I have a bunch of other projects that I want to work on first.

I haven’t watched that show, but I’ve definitely heard of it. Might give it a watch one of these days. And clown-hunting, eh? Reminds me of these YouTube vids of guys going out and beating up creepy clowns in places. Interesting story idea there!

My favorite scouts back then were Sailor Venus and Sailor Jupiter. I had a crush on Makoto back then. And I haven’t heard of Wedding Peach before, but I have heard of Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne. I haven’t watched the latter anime, but I really like the idea of a phantom thief-type magical girl and really wanna watch that show some time. One of the episodes of Cardcaptor Sakura had Sakura Kinomoto act the part of a phantom thief and trying to seal a card without directly touching it. The episode reminded me of a reversed locked-room mystery, and it was friggin’ genius how Sakura finally sealed it! Another phantom thief-type magical girl show is Saint Tail, and hope they re-dub that anime and include all the episodes, so I can watch it.

The magical girl genre can be done in so many ways, it’s almost endless! If that story every comes off the ground, hit me up!

1 Like

Upon googling, the look of the MC seems familiar but I don’t remember if I ever watched it or not. It might’ve not aired for a long time around here as the TV stations used to have a habit of just stopping things mid-show and never picked them up again (happened to Inuyasha for example)

I’m vaguely remembering another anime about three sisters, who were phantom thieves, who stole famous paintings and one of them was actually the girlfriend of the police detective, who was trying to catch their alter egos. Not sure though if any magic was involved.

Interesting. I’m not sure what anime that is, and I’m trying to look it up with the key words, “phantom thieves” and “sisters,” but it’s a no-go.

I didn’t remember the title but this seems to be it

Cat's_Eye

1 Like

Oh, wow, you found it! :astonished:

1 Like

The second season was the best, and after that the plot all but dissapears and is replaced with pointless shipping and probably the stupidest anti-racism agenda I’ve ever seen. Ultimately still worth a watch though.

I summon the Dark Magician Girl!

What is the magical girls genre? I’ve never heard of it before.

It’s not a genre, just anything that has a girl with powers.