Manly Scents

So I’ve been reading some of my favorite romance books and I just realized I’m sorely lacking scents in my first draft. Especially the scents of my main couple. I want to focus on Hikaru’s scent first but I’m drawing blanks. What are some scents you associate with your sizzling males? :nose:

1 Like

Depends on the time period, magical abilities, etc. Bonus points if your scent really matches his profession, time period, or other contexts of the world (Such as a leather worker smelling like leather and oils)

If it’s available, cologne is the first one to go to.

After that, I have used the smell of cigars and whiskey.

I have also used the smell of sweat.

I also just use “their personal musk.” Everyone has a unique scent (not B.O. :rofl::sweat_smile:) and I often use the word “musk” for that.

4 Likes

Nirav had lots of scents, most of them bark and resign, cedar, sandalwood, berries, sun-heated pine forest, etc.

2 Likes

Ooh, I like sun heated for some reason!

I was thinking cologne but then I started thinking too hard about which one. Maybe I should just keep it simple and just say cologne?

It depends on the time period, but overall smells: sweat, dirt, grass, and pine :grin:

1 Like

I was thinking earth like at first and then I was like “why? He’s a doctor.” :woman_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

That medicinal soap they use to scrub with, then.

2 Likes

In fact, I don’t think doctors wear cologne at with due to patients with allergies, at least none of mine have.

1 Like

His hobby could be hiking or gardening. Then it would make sense :yum:

1 Like

Ah! That’s a good idea. But could be ok with like a date with Aija maybe?

He mostly loves taking care of Bonsai trees. Still thinking of other hobbies.

At one point my MC hugs the love interest and notes that he smells like Earl Grey tea and tangerines.

2 Likes

Ooh, very nice!

1 Like

Um, they possibly smell like… old spice? :joy:

These are the old spice scents (via Wikipedia), but some aren’t that helpful, like “swagger” 😂

1 Like

Gah. I could lecture on about this for hours.

If you go for the usual hunk, scents from the forest; pine, berries, fresh grass, smoky wood and the like.

If you’re making more of a pretty boy like I am, you’ll prefer going for natural smelling sweets. Male protags in my works smell of cinnamon, brown sugar and maple syrup and the other one of wheat, barley and flour.

3 Likes

For me: leather, horse, sweat, smoke, earthly scent, musk, firewood, coal, blood, cigars. But leather and horse will get me lol

3 Likes

https://www.fragrancex.com/customerservice/masculinescents.html

Fresh cut wood or grass if they are do-it-yourself men are my two personal favorites.

1 Like

I’m loving these answers so far! Keep em coming! :raised_hands:t4::fire: