Mature Stories no longer ranking Internally and Externally

I send a lot of my external readers to Wattpad and advertise on my Ebook/paperback to find Incidental Cougar on Wattpad. Welp now it no longer ranks in Google or in the logged-out search on Wattpad homepage.

I had a reader message me that my book is no longer in Wattpad. It’s like a five step process to get to it now.

Is anyone else seeing this? I know WP changed their algorithm because my traffic took a nose dive but I didn’t realize this change was implemented to search engines, etc.

Who would we contact about this? As of right now I can’t send anyone to WP because my book doesn’t show- even when typing in the direct title.

I am so sorry. Maybe try messaging an ambassador? It is still in your account though right?

Yes, still there. I was just on Twitter and it looks like this is wide spread. I’m going to see if I can get a hold of someone in WP engineering.

2 Likes

Interesting. Do you mean tagged Mature or rated mature?

1 Like

Good luck. Has this happened to other writers creating mature stories top?

Good question. I was asking about the latter.

1 Like

Rated mature. This just started with the last update so I’m guessing it’s a new algorithm. I just can’t send anyone to Wattpad anymore because they can’t find the story.

1 Like

Oh I see :slight_smile: My story is both and I was a little worried lol

I guess that explains why my story has taken a critical hit in reads. Ya know, I am not even sure how it is possible to break an algorithm even more than it was before. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Mine has been low for ranking all week :thinking:

1 Like

Yep! I went from 100,000 reads a month to 10k. But now outside peeps can’t find me on Wattpad either- unless I give them a direct link.

1 Like

I used to get about 1000 reads in a month. That has gone down to about 200 or 300. Which it has gotten even lower, being around 5 to 10 a day, versus about 50 to 100.

I tried searching Incidental Cougar. It was the first result, Incidental Cougar 2 was the second. @Sumskees you were the author. I am working on a laptop, maybe that is the difference. If you are working from an android or IOS device I might hypothesis that is to blame since it is happening outside of Wattpad too.

1 Like

Ranking has been busted for a while now, so that is not the concern. One moment you can be high, the next you can be low. It might catch up next week.

1 Like

Were you logged in? When logged out I don’t show up for Incidental Cougar (not the pg13 Version). I used Chrome, Firefox, Safari- private and normal browsing.

1 Like

Incidental Cougar 5 was the first result when I googled “Incidental Cougar Wattpad” and when I searched it after logging out. Second on wattpad was IC 1 Pg-13 version. The rest don’t show at all, even if I scroll all the way down.

Now I am thinking it is a parietal safety thing. When I am logged in it knows my age, I’d guess that is why.

1 Like

I logged out and searched (I’m using the safari browser on my laptop) Incidental Cougar 6 was the first result followed by the PG-13 one.

1 Like

I couldn’t find my own story on here. Because of that, I link directly to my profile and they can find it there. That said, if it’s the algorithm, it’s deeply unfair.

Following up to this, when I logged back in I accidentally used the wrong email, and it specifically asked for permission to view my age. Pretty sure it didn’t do that when I first made my account. So yes, it is almost definitely a new parietal safety feature.

Yes, that’s what I’m assuming too, but there are so many better ways to do this than deindexing mature titles. I can no longer send people to Wattpad because they can’t find my stories. It’s just a bad user experience for new users. :woman_shrugging::unamused: