mira's free book reviews 🤓 || CLOSED ON LONG-TERM DUE TO BUSY SCHEDULE ─ positive in-line comments, honest constructive feedback and more ~

writing
feedback-offered
critiques

yay

────────────────

= important notice =

:warning: I’m not taking any reading requests at the moment, all spots are taken up - in order to catch up with commitments and queue. Please browse another critic’s thread - I recommend Abby’s ‘:skull_and_crossbones: Hell’s Critiques’.

────────────────

= intro =

welcome to my thread!

Hello, it’s Mira! I’ve decided to make a book review thread, thank you for clicking in. Let me first say, that I find myself extremely mediocre as a writer - but I think I’m a relatively good editor - so if you’re looking for someone who’ll harshly critique your plot and actual story, I might not be the critic for you. But of course, I’ll try my best. :heart: Due to my immense love for reading, I frequently like to do reading requests and book reviews. In this thread, you can have your book reviewed, yay :nerd_face: ~

────────────────

= details and special notices =

please be sure to read this entire section. it is of utmost importance.

○ I have preferred genres, and they are the following:
    • young - adult (YA)
    • humour
    • teen fiction (TF)
    • chicklit
note: those with the above genres may be accepted more readily

○ Anyone with an incorrect secret code/password at their first post may be declined thereafter
note: unless they had a technical difficulty, (e.g. accidentally posting unwritten/unfinished comment)

○ There will be two queues. Your name can only appear once in the entire two queues at one time (i.e. only one book in one queue at most)
    • express queue
       - this will be quicker, as it is express.
       - 1 review will be made based on the chapters submitted
       - can only put down a maximum of 3 chapters and optional prologue of under 1000 words
    • full queue
       - all the chapters will be read, and the queue will be cycled until your book is finished.
       - 1 review will be made per chapter
       - i reserve the right to discontinue any books after 10 chapters (as the queue will be slow and i could potentially be reading your book for an entire year if your chapters are really long and you have 200 of them)
note: all reviews will be made in here unless there's anything specific that i want to message you about.

────────────────
= rules =
these rules must be observed, so please read them carefully, they all stand.
  1. Language
    Although I know multiple languages, I can only cater for requests that are English currently.

2. Chapters
    Must contain 1 or more part(s) that isn’t a prologue, author’s note or disclaimer

3. Respect
    Please don’t try to rush me, I will get to your request, just be patient! In addition, I will try my best to give both positive and negative feedback in the form of constructive criticism. If you aren’t okay with both, you might not want a review.

4. × Payment
    I don’t require a payment, as I don’t think payments should be a thing unless I’m doing a lot of work in a professional capacity. As I’m not, in this case,

5. × Promises
    Although I don’t want to decline any requests, if you fail to send in a fully filled form, I may decline. Also, anyone with an incorrect secret code/password at their first post may be declined thereafter, as mentioned in the section of ‘details and special notices’. In addition, I may decline your book due to other personal reasons although I’m willing to clarify, no promises.

note: feel free to chit-chat in the thread - i like the fun irrelevant or relevant chatting too!

image ~

────────────────
= review format =
my review's format is very generalized, and cover a little bit of everything.

plot development and characterisation
    • does your book contain an interesting plot?
    • is the pacing of the book too fast or too slow?
    • are the characters too flat?
creativity, coherence and relevance
    • is the plot really overused/cliche?
    • is the cover relevant to the book?
    • does the chapters relate to each other?
ideas and organisation, vocabulary and ease of understanding
    • are your ideas all over the place?
    • do you speak the language of the reader?
    • is there effective use of vocabulary?
grammar and punctuation
    • is punctuation and spacing used effectively and accurately?
    • are there any heavy grammar mistakes?
    • would i recommend you reach out to an editor?
○ any other noticed concerns
    • does the book follow content guidelines?
    • is there anything i saw that seemed worrying?
    • what are the weaknesses noticed in the book?

────────────────
= form(s) =
please fill in one of these and leave it in a comment in the thread!

Wattpad Username:
Story Title:
Story URL:
Genre:
Synopsis: (NOT A BLURB, I want like an introduction/short first-part summary)
Secret Code/Password:
Express or Full Queue: Express Queue Full Queue
CLICK THE BOX TO CHOOSE EXPRESS OR FULL QUEUE IN YOUR OWN FORM!!
note: (if express, specify which chapters and if you have a prologue.)
(if full queue, please specify how many chapters and parts you have)
Anything you want me to specifically comment on:

image ~
────────────────
= thank you =
thank you for taking your time to read my thread fully! if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

= express queue =

each queue has 5 spots
  1. Blame the goddess by @Laynejodi (#30)
  2. Star Wars: The Fallen Order by @ElizaErson (#79)
  3. Air Born by @juniormint94 (#86)
  4. Death with a side of clam chowder by @NuclearPotatoes (#100)
  5. Olivia & Ricky’s Odyssey to Rock Bottom by @MariaJoWrites (#101)
────────────────

= full queue =
each queue has 5 spots
  1. Everlight by @TAJoseph Completed Progress: Prologue (#17 | #47)
  2. Words in Pink by @originalverbivore Completed Progress: January 17 (#21 | #54)
  3. Zeitgeist by @GhostsInsideOfMyBed Progress: Chapter 1 (#22 | #93)
  4. The Scepter of Tamido by @TheTigerWriter Completed Progress: Ch.1: The Makiista Clan (#23 | #94)
  5. The Girl from Swan Lake by @perdida_princesa19 (#13 | #95)
────────────────

= reviewed stories =
stories that i've finished reviewing

Express Queue

1. Train Ride by @shadowsettle (#8 | #46)
  2. The Alpha’s Flame by @FireAlwaysReturns (#11 | #55)
  3. Bitten By History by @MisterRabbit (#20 | #81)
  4. What the Morning Brings by @infiorescent (#15 | #82)
  5. Haunted Rayne by @AnneMcKae (#27 | #102)
  6. A City of War by @TheGirlWhoRambled (#25 | #114)

reserved

Can I request?

Yeah, go ahead, just fill in the form accordingly. :nerd_face:

One question though: I’m not totally sure how the queues work? If it’s not too much trouble could you please assist in explaining?

Oops, sorry for the bad explaining, I’ll amend it again if necessary.
For express queue, I’ll be reviewing a maximum of 3 chapters and 1 prologue in 1 review. I’ll be doing them down the queue (as in, I’ll read all 3 chapters at once for each and go down the queue accordingly).
But for full queue, I’ll be reading the entire book, but since it’ll take a long time, I’ll only be doing one chapter each time (1 short review per chapter), then moving on to the next person. Once the full queue is finished once, I’ll re-cycle it, reading the next chapter of each book. Any books that are finished in the middle will be removed (and the entire queue behind them will shift up accordingly).

Wattpad Username: @shadowsettle
Story Title: Train Ride
Story URL: https://www.wattpad.com/story/144097477-train-ride-short-story-completed
Genre: Short Story - Romance
Synopsis: Alex just wanted to get to her university from her dirty flat (she was broke), not fall in love at first sight and then have it taken away in a moment. 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒆𝒏 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒕𝒆𝒔.
Secret Code/Password: I wish to make my story better and improve my writing.
Express Queue. There is only one chapter anyway.
Anything you want me to specifically comment on: characters and how well the story flows.

Thank you for your explanation on the queues! That made it much easier to understand.

acceptedthanks

i will be adding you to express queue shortly.

Thank you~ :slight_smile:

Wattpad Username: @FireAlwaysReturns
Story Title: The Alpha’s Flame
Story URL: Google Docs File
Genre: Fantasy
Synopsis:

Short version of the plot

Zanixa was bottled a long time ago, and has been in a mage’s personal collection for some time. After the mage passes away because of a curse, his collection is sold for money - including Zanixa. She’s bought by Oscen, an Alpha werewolf who thinks she’s simply an illusion in a bottle. He notices she’s actually a real being and lets her out, allowing her to join the Sharion pack. The pack is not happy having a fox in their midst, and try their best to frame her and get rid of her. Rogues attack the pack, she saves them, and they finally accept her into the pack, viewing her as a hero.

Secret Code/Password: I just want the opinion of an outsider, to see if it’s sort of okay. I simply like knowing what others think – even if it’s not posted on Wattpad yet
Express or Full Queue: Express, as I only have three chapters of ~1,000 words done. I am now working on the 4th, and it’s 700 words in, but it’s not finished yet
Anything you want me to specifically comment on: Grammar, typos, things you like/dislike.

I hope it’s not an inconvenience that it’s fantasy, or that it’s in Google Docs. Feel free to decline because of that

acceptedthanks

i will be adding you to express queue shortly.

wattpad username:@perdida_princesa19
Story url: https://www.wattpad.com/story/153158425-the-girl-from-swan-lake
genre: teen fiction
Synopsis:Grace Wilson, a quiet and an ambitious girl, returns after a year to her high school and to her best friend Skylar.
All she’d always wanted to do was dance, and she always excelled at what she did.
When auditions begin for The dance show of the year “Swan Lake” , this is her chance to play the role of her dreams.
But dreams are never easy to realize and will be very difficult to meet all expectations.
password: to become a better writer and improve my story and my writing
express or full queue: full queue, the book has so far 22 chapters
anything you want me to specifically comment on: grammar, vocabulary, characters

thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Question - how many chapters is your book? :nerd_face: can you add it to your ‘Full Queue’ section?

Wattpad Username: @infiorescent
Story Title: What the Morning Brings
Story URL: https://www.wattpad.com/story/166826871-what-the-morning-brings-nanowrimo2018
Genre: YA Fantasy
Synopsis: Ori is bored with his mundane life, and he’s desperate to prove himself worthy of his namesake, Orion. So when a circus appears in his backyard and a golden and guileful acrobat invites him to join, how can he refuse? Soon, he is swept up into the circus’ world of wonder and magic, but not all that glitters is gold, and dark secrets lurk beneath the surface.
Secret Code/Password: I hope to improve my writing!
Express or Full Queue: express
Chapters: playlist + 6
Anything you want me to specifically comment on: nope! whatever jumps out at you

Hi, so since I only do up to 3 chapters in Express Queue, would you be okay if I just do the first three chapters right after the ‘playlist’ chapter? :nerd_face::heart:

Wattpad Username: @TAJoseph
Story Title: Everlight
Story URL: https://www.wattpad.com/story/132479281-everlight
Genre: YA Fantasy
Synopsis: After being stolen as a gift for the faerie prince, Eula gets embroiled in a brewing civil war when she befriends the handmaidens who are at the forefront of the rebel army. Convinced that marrying the prince will help their cause and get her home, Eula goes undercover as a spy, never expecting that she’d fall in love with him—foiling their plans.
Secret Code/Password: I would like to improve my story to be more appealing to readers.
Full Queue: There are Eleven chapters and sixteen parts.
Anything you want me to specifically comment on: I’m looking for feedback on how the story flows, whether or not it is consistent.

acceptedthanks

i will be adding you to full queue shortly.
Please note that I can't promise that I'll complete the entire book, but I know I'll complete at least the first 10 chapters. (As I'm not a frequent Fantasy-genre reader.)

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Username: @MisterRabbit
Title: Bitten by History
URL: https://www.wattpad.com/story/168703007-bitten-by-history
Genre: YA supernatural
Synopsis: Emilia Temple is a troubled young woman whose problems only get worse when on a late night out in London she and her younger cousin witness three strange young men with inhuman speed and strength murder a group of people without an ounce of remorse.
Secret code: Just want some honest feedback. I’ve only just gotten back into writing after a very long hiatus and would like some honest reviews on the story I’ve been struggling to finish for the past four years :joy::sob:
Full queue: I have eight chapters written already. The story is ongoing.