Mortician VS Plague Doctor?

I’m attempting to write both a mortician and a plague doctor in my novel, but I’m trying to make sure that they are VERY different as I’m very much about creating vastly unique characters and I’m worried that these two careers might be too similar.

The mortician has the ability to see and communicate with ghosts, and took over the practice from her father.

The plague doctor has been abused and mistreated by his abusive family all of his life, and “experiments” aka studies and rips apart the bodies of plague victims to try and figure out a cure for his vampirism.

In terms of the science aspect of their jobs, how can I really capitalize on their differences?

So a mortician is the same as an undertaker, funeral director. They pick up the bodies from the scene and then embolme them or get them ready for cremation

I grew up in a funeral home so if you have any questions hit me up

It is a doctor specifically for people with the plague. Like they are a normal doctor but they specialize in said plague. Traveling to towns and trying to heal and contain the plague

So with a Mortician, they do the work AFTER they die. While a Plague Doctor USUALLY works with them BEFORE they die.

The Plague Doctor will try to heal the plague but they Mortician just takes care of the body after they die. The Mortician will have very little to do with the body (person) until after they are dead

It’s your story and you should decide how the characters fit into the plot, but I’ll try to help you on your way of thinking towards a solution.

First: what’s the story about? It’s not a job interview. It’s fiction, there has to be a conflict between the two characters, one wants something and the other stands in the way.

The second step is to think about which two characters can make this plot stronger (and that is the answer to your question, as they have to be different to make the story interesting).

Let’s say the doctor is aggressive, ambitious, as his vampirism isn’t something quiet and peaceful and abuse doesn’t contribute either. So the first thought would be that the mortician could be quiet, modest, whispering rather than speaking and never raising her voice, buried in thoughts and shy. Would that make a story?

Let’s imagine that the mortician has access to the cure the doctor is looking for. He tries to force her, charm her, use every trick in the book to get what he wants (aggressive, ambitious) but this has the opposite effect on the mortician, as she closes up and runs away from this horrible man. So the doctor has to change or walk away, a choice that he will make at the start of the story and will change in the end or at the middle (when he has to find a better way to work with the mortician).

This way, the story has a plot-side (the cure) and a character-side (the relationship between two opposite characters should change and improve to solve the problem). That’s a solid foundation for a story, something you can work out.

I hope this helps.