Multiple P.O.V Writing Advice needed

I’m working on a book where I want to have multiple points of view, but I have no idea how to structure it. The characters will interact a lot throughout the whole book, but not all the time as their lives are different in many ways. I’m not sure if each character should have their own chapter, or be in one chapter but switch off… :woman_shrugging:t5: :woman_shrugging:t5: :woman_shrugging:t5: Can anyone give me some advice? I’m so lost :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Typically, it is best to give long stretches of time to a single POV (ie. a chapter). When you give a few paragraphs and continually switch, it gets confusing and hard to follow for the reader. Mind you, as with every “writing rule”, there is someone out there who broke it and got very acceptable results. It really depends on your story.

4 Likes

Hmmm…okay that helped. Thank you

If I was reading it, I would find it much easier if each character took up a whole chapter. If it kept changing within a chapter, I’d probably get confused and would be less likely to continue reading.
Do what you feel is best though!

3 Likes

Ok. Thank you for your help

I switch between my two main MC’s every chapter :slight_smile:
It’s easier and more understanable then switching within a chapter I believe.
They start off seperatly and from chapter 5 they come together, I keep switching though. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help

1 Like

You’re very welcome :slight_smile: Just make sure that you stick by it, when deciding :slight_smile:
I used my authors note to explain the switching

1 Like

It really depends!

I absolutely love writing multiple POV stories. Either method works, it’s just how you execute it.

My Watty winning novel changes POV in the same chapter (MC and Love Interest), but it is marked at the beginning of each part to designate that shift. I also have another story where each chapter is dedicated to one POV. I think it’s a matter of finding what suits your story best.

When in doubt, label everything! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you :grin:

I’ve got five at the minute. I don’t necessarily give each a chapter (although I can see why some readers may prefer that) but I do have very clear section breaks between POV switches.

Before each scene I always think about what it is I want to reveal about the plot and what I want to show personality wise in the characters. This is really important. You characters will all see things differently and there will be things that some know that others don’t. Each POV switch should be necessary for plot or character development imho.

The key thing is to make it clear from the first sentence of each POV whose head you’re in. As long as you do that and the voices are distinct it should read fine :+1:

I first did that too, state it at every chapter. And then decided to just add it in the author not and then take the names out. It’s clear for everyone now :slight_smile: and it looks better IMO
but you should do what makes you feel comfortable!

2 Likes

Definitely do what makes you comfortable!

Labeling it with the name in the beginning has become a part of my aesthetic, so I can’t imagine the names not being there XD

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot :grimacing: thank you for your advice.

I counted wrong. It’s actually six. It’s a lot to keep track of :sweat_smile:

Omg six?! Wow…I could never lol

I just stick with two, that’s enough for me haha

1 Like

Creo que el problema es que tienes ganas de escribir, pero no tienes realmente las ideas claras. Lo primero es tener una idea clara de qué se quiere escribir, o sea, tener en mente una historia que contar, y saber porqué la quieres contar. No se escribe solo por escribir; se escribe para narrar algo. Normalmente, en una novela se tiene un hilo conductor, aunque dentro de la narración sucedan historias en apariencia paralelas. Los personajes debes estructurarlos teniendo en cuenta de si vas a narrar en primera persona o en tercera. Si es en primera, está claro que habrá un personaje principal sobre el que construirás la historia, ese personaje será por decirlo de alguna manera el narrador de la/su historia. Si es en tercera persona la narración es distinta, porque el narrador es una especie de voz omnisciente, que no necesariamente participa de la historia sino que se limita a contarla. A partir de tener eso claro debes trabajar la trama, los personajes etcétera. Pero, primero, tener las ideas claras. Y leer mucho, porque es la mejor escuela para escribir bien.

I’m kind of in the same position, I am writing a novel with one POV and and a book with multi POV’s and the multi POV story, I don’t quite know what to write or how to write it

1 Like

Thank you but I do know what I want to write, but aren’t sure how to structure it. I have a basic plot, but no idea on how to structure it.

1 Like