multiple pen names and branding

I’m getting ready for my first kindle release in March (!!!) however, this book is completely different from my core work (I write sci-fy/fantasy novels; this book is a set of poems describing some personal experiences of cancer in my family).

I’m debating the use of a second pen name for this publication because the book is so different. I have been told this can help branding. I’m ok linking the two pen names on my website once its live, but just want to help a generic reader navigate my work effectively.

I’m wondering if anyone here has used multiple pen names to help their branding? If so, any insight?

Alternatively, is there anyone with completely different types of books under the same name?

sorry, I don’t have these experiences. I am new here. but in my opinion, I think there would be someone using multiple pen names (in dramas XD) not sure that will help their branding. hope this will help you :slight_smile:

Heyo!

So I have two different practices. My writing practice and my contemporary art practice. I use different names for those to not confuse people, and to not mix them. I want to keep my contemp. art very far away from my writing practice since they have literally nothing to do with each other.

If you want to have it all under one brand, that’s completely fine. Personally though, I think I’d use another pen-name for something like poems as it’s a completely different ballgame than Fantasy/Sci-fi novels. But I also just generally like to focus my brands on one thing. A. W. Frasier is all about writing and book-related illustrations. And my real name is all about photography and other mediums. And nothing else for both.

So, it’s all up to you :slight_smile:

Thanks for adding the perspective! :slight_smile:

This is really going to come down to personal preference - I think I’m going to go for seperate pen names. I think I like keeping these two directions more separated from each other. Good to bounce the ideas off of others.

No problem! Happy to help :smile:

I think if you are going to have them all link to the same website, or both author websites actively advertise the other, then I don’t think you’ll have any issues with that.

This is a good question… I enjoy writing in multiple genres. Recently, I’ve been wondering if I’d need different names for different genres? I’d prefer not too, but I can understand why some people do it.

I originally used two pen names (for different genres and publishing styles), and variation of my given name for poetry. I’ve since cut that all out and just stuck with one pen name.