My first LGBTQ+ story and scared

I’m super glad that you’re doing this! I would say that there are definitely some things to avoid (bully and his victim trope . . . ugh), and not to make it toxic.
When I first started writing an LGBTQ+ story, I thought I was straight and had absolutely no idea how to write romance. Over the course of several months, I realized that I was not in fact straight (bisexual ftw) and learned a lot of things about myself. It also helped me improve as a writer a lot.

1 Like

THIS. The worst.

I can understand your apprehension. Two years ago I started writing a vampire m/m romance and although I wasn’t raised in a “strict” Christian environment, I definitely had some apprehensions about playing in a sandbox that I am not a formal member of (straight female). So I did a lot of soul searching: Why am I writing this? What is my intention? How am I advocating this community in my story? Am I doing right by these men and women? I think if more authors did that with any genre they write, books would be a lot better.

Take the careful approach and take your time. Try not to be the bull in a China shop just because you’re excited. God, if I had published my stories two years ago when I had first written them… it would have been awful because I have learned sooooo much in that time. Still am! Good luck to you!

3 Likes

meh. a bit dissapointed but wattpad isn’t really a safe space for lgbtq . . .

1 Like

It’s not and is never wrong to be supportive of the LGBTQIAP+ community. It shows that you’re a great person who isn’t affected by your homophobic parents. You’re able to see that a person’s sexuality doesn’t make them bad. It doesn’t change who they are, and in fact, it’s a part of them.

2 Likes

In what way? I’m asking because I’m new here. Why do you feel that way?

1 Like

Thanks for your advice. Yeah I definitely want to be careful in how i represent their relationship and the world they’re in. I generally try to be super accurate with everything I write, but especially on issues like this I want to make sure I am adding to the solution instead of the problem. Which is an additional reason why I’m nervous, I don’t want to hurt others by my story.

I def agree with the taking my time. This story has already been over a year in the making, and it took several months for me to get it to the point it’s at, and will probably take me more to get it right. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the good luck! Same to you :wave:

1 Like

Yeah, I hate bully and victim love stories regardless of who it’s between. I’ve been on the bad end in toxic relationships, and I hate when people try to portray it as a romantic thing, because it’s really not. It’s so destructive and heartbreaking. And people who act like bullies really, really, aren’t romantic at all. When they do put it on, they’re just being manipulative and screwing you even more.

…Sorry passionate on that. Totally agree, I def don’t plan to write it like that. And as you say, I think it will help me learn more, about myself and as a writer.

1 Like

Yes!!! That is something I feel really passionate about. I hate when people suddenly view someone differently when they find out he/she/they is a member of the lgbt+ community (and/or other common discriminations), and automatically assume the person to start acting differently. It’s a very small-minded, fear-filled attitude, and it is very painful to see and experience (I haven’t as an LGBT+ person, but for another reason).

1 Like

you are doing a lovely thing so you deserve to get to ask questions. thankyou for loving our community and know we love and support you always

1 Like

Thank you. I cannot tell you how humbled I am by your loving words. I hope to do well.

1 Like

OMG same!!! I’m writing a GxG one and sometimes Idk if i’m doing it write. I’m overthinking stuff!

Yeah I think there’s def a balance of not overthinking while also being mindful of the experiences of others in the lgbt+ community. One of the things I love about writing is it always gives you a chance to learn more about the world, so stories like yours and mine are a good opportunity to connect with people in the lgbt+ community. Which is very nice :slight_smile:. Best of luck with your story!

1 Like

yeahh, I love the LGBT+ community like they’re the warmest people ever and their positivity just fills up the room :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope so too that I get to really get this right in my story. Thanks! best of luck with your story as well :>

I came from a place similar to yours - though it wasn’t as strictly homophobic as yours sounds, my family’s Christianity meant I was raised to believe being gay was a sin.

Fast-forward to now, and my first and most successful story on here is a lesbian story, and the majority of my stories are gxg. Mind you, my mom knows nothing about my Wattpad, but she doesn’t use the internet and I don’t live with her anymore so there really isn’t any risk of her finding out. Your family isn’t the type to stalk your online activity, are they?

I think it’s very brave of you to write about this topic despite your upbringing and the people you’re surrounded by. As a member of the LGBT+ community, I’m always available for you to ask questions too! <3

2 Likes

Yeah my fam is pretty homophobic and against sex all the way around. Just kissing passionately is a mortal sin :roll_eyes:. But they double down on LGBT+, urgh. :confounded:

And yeah for the most part they don’t track my online doings. A year ago that would have been different, but now the only issue is my sis and I share one wi-fi stick which makes it a little difficult but not impossible.

And thank you for the support and openness for questions! I appreciate it very much.

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’m glad to hear they’re not tracking everything - I’m sure that’ll make your experience on Wattpad easier should you choose to publish your story. I followed you on Wattpad, so if you publish it, I’ll definitely have a read!

1 Like

tysm! I’m working on a draft of it now, but hopefully sometime soon I will begin putting up parts. If it’s a little bit, hopefully it will be worth the wait!

1 Like

Don’t ever come out as gay or as writing gay, or even supporting gay, to a homophobic Catholic family. I’ve never heard of it working out well. Those who do it usually end up living a life of hell worse than the hell they are supposed to go to, or end up leaving the family completely.

My own folks roared and howled at me for weeks after I came out until I could not stand it anymore and left - for good, still only a teen. I was able to make a good life for myself in NYC and now work part-time with homeless LGBT kids who live on the streets. There are 2,000 of them every night on the streets looking for a bed.

A lot of people don’t like rough, tough, or sad coming out stories, but I think they are important. Trad publishers won’t publish realistic ones, just fluff like the Simon book (although the new Love, Victor TV show based on it is a lot more realistic). Wattpad has a lot of well-written coming out stories, and young people need to read them to learn about the possibilities before making a decision.

Of course, your book doesn’t have to be about coming out, but thousands of young LGBTs join Wattpad every year in search of information more realistic than what they see on Riverdale or Teen Wolf, and whatever you write will be appreciated and welcomed.

1 Like

Thank you for these words!

Yeah, most of my family doesn’t know and prob never will, as they are extremely homophobic. Even the ones who aren’t as phobic I’m still prob not going to tell for a long time because they’d just label it as “experimenting” or “glorifying” it and not really read it for the message I’m trying to send. (seeing how homophobic that sounds tells you how bed the rest of my fam is!)

The coming out story I’m writing is somewhere in the range of realistic I hope. It’s def not fluff, but it’s also not gut-wrenching (I think anyways), but there are dark moments in my MCs journies for sure. I hope it will be appreciated and enjoyed by LGBT+ readers on here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.