My goal is to get published.. POLL

I want to become a published author and Debut with the trilogy I’m working on right now. I have about 40% of the novel figured out, but because it’s just a complex dark fantasy world with so many rules and history that I’m trying to figure out so I can come up with the main plot, I’m never getting writing done because I don’t know shite about the story or even the direction it’s going.

I have other story ideas that aren’t so complicated because they don’t revolve around creating a whole world. I’m conflicted on whether to spend the time getting my hearts work done (my trilogy) or moving on to easier projects to get published and work on the world building in my spare time.

• Work on the trilogy no matter how long it takes
  • Work on other projects that will be easier to write so you’re wasting less time

0 voters

I think you should work on whatever has your heart. In my experience, it’s really difficult to focus on or care about a story that isn’t what I really want to write, deep down. Do what makes you happy. There will always be time to write more books.

4 Likes

My personal opinion is write what you are currently passionate about. For me, when I’m writing something that I am bored with (at that moment) or am just not interested in, I don’t want to write at all, which is the most discouraging feeling in the world. If writing your trilogy is something you’re really excited and motivated to write, then do that.

4 Likes

Exactly!

2 Likes

In my opinion, you should work on what you feel like working on, because only you can know what story you feel enthusiastic about. If the triology is difficult to write but you have fun writing it, then I suggest focusing on the triology. If it stresses you out and make you feel exhausted, then move on to other easier stories. Then, when you feel motivated enough, continue the triology.

1 Like

My response is predicated upon the assumption that these would be your first or second novels you’ve ever written. Discard if inaccurate.

There is no bigger strategic blunder then to force yourself into a situation where the first part of your trilogy is quite likely going to be much weaker then the two that follow. I would advise using other projects to get prime-time ready, and then work on a trilogy. I ended up in the same situation where the first part of what was going to be a trilogy just isn’t salvageable, and now I have zero clue what to do with the second book that I consider much, much stronger.

2 Likes

Yes! This! I know and am SO excited about books 2-4 because of where the story gets to go, but because book 1 is mainly about world building and my main character is growing into herself, I can’t jump into the fun stuff quite yet. SO frustrating !

1 Like

Maybe try writing a singular book in the world you want to use, to establish it solely for yourself, get it beta-read to see what works and what doesn’t, and then re-work the functional parts into the trilogy?

1 Like

What a marvelous idea! Thank you :smiley:

Traditionally published or self published?

It’s much easier to query a stand-alone novel.

Agents and publishers will look for a full and complete novel that does not end with a massive cliffhanger (you can dangle the thread of a subplot to hint towards sequel potential).

If you can’t pitch them that, then you probably can’t sell it.

If you self publish, you can do as you like.

2 Likes

Traditionally published. My novel does have a slight plot twist, but with a change of a few words it could hold as a stand alone.

1 Like

Then focus on making that book the best stand alone book you possibly can.

If you get agents, publishers and readers to fall in love with it, then you’re more likely to have your shot at adding the other books later.

1 Like

Do you have any completed novels under your belt? If you do, I would say work on the trilogy while querying agents with the books you’ve already finished. If you don’t have a completed novel, then I would say before trying to tackle a trilogy it might be better to write a self-contained, standalone book.

1 Like

I have no completed books what so ever :confused: This triology has been a passion project and something I’ve been working on for 6 years all through high school. It’s gone through a lot of changes and I am still just as unclear on major parts of the plot. That is why this is starting to make a lot of sense to me, getting my name out there and querying and then focusing on the trilogy.

I just absolutely HATE the idea of wasting time and that is what I feel like I’m doing right now

Writer’s often let their creativity hijack their productivity. It’s one of the biggest mistakes we make! Don’t worry about your trilogy, the idea isn’t going anywhere. I have an idea in my head from 15 years ago that I still haven’t abandoned. I just realized I wasn’t doing anything with it so I worked on other projects. You’ll get the trilogy done, don’t worry about that. You just have to get used to finishing a project instead of just thinking about it.

1 Like

If that’s the trilogy you want to debut with and that’s what your heart is set on, I see no good reason why you shouldn’t prioritize working on it! :heart:

1 Like

If your ultimate goal is to be a published author, you may want to work on something that actually allows you to write and develop other skills in your writing tool box besides world-building. Also, I’d want to test the premise of my trilogy with other writers/editors to ensure there was enough of a hook to pull in readers before devoting three or more years of my life to the concept.
Sorry. I know I should say follow your heart, but I’ve wasted precious time going down the wrong roads.

I think it depends on the publishing route you want to take. The traditional industry is hard to get through when it comes to having a series of sorts. Of course, if it’s well received, it may get a series deal. But for a debut author, publishers aren’t so trusting because if the first book fails when it comes to sales, it’s a lot of money down the drain. This is why they’re very skeptical on buying a series of any kind. They’re more prone to stand-alone stories.

Now, you can write your series where each book can act as a stand-alone, but there’s unanswered questions that allows the story to continue in some sort of way. Then when you pitch it to an agent, you can mention that it has series potential so if they like it and can sell it, it’s something that they’ll look into. Of course, there’s no guarantee, so it’s something that is up for debate.

On the other hand, if you self-publish, you can do the entire trilogy without hesitation. And in some cases, selling a trilogy or a series of any kind through the self-publishing industry may give you better sales than what the traditional industry can give you. But you have to make sure that hard work will go into it. Not just in writing, but in marketing and cover design and editing and the whole nine yards.

Either way you choose, I would say that if you’re ready to write the trilogy, do it. Don’t let anything hold you back. :wink: