My therapist wants me to write

writing
question
discussion

Hello. I know the title is strange, but I didn’t know what else to title it. So I told my teacher about a series of novels, I was thinking of writing as a teenager. As the title would suggest, she replied to my rambles with, “You should go back to those ideas and write them out even if they don’t get published, it may help you work through somethings.”

I making this thread to see what do you all think? If I do write them, I probably won’t take them pass posting them here on wattpad.

The stories she wants me to do are stories that have main characters based on my friends, me, and our lives.

If you want to try it, I say go for it. Writing and reflecting like that can help

Writing will definitely help you. As previously mentioned, it’s good to reflect - even if you don’t publish them. There’s no harm in doing it, so I’d say go for it! It’s worth a shot.

If I would publish them, would they classify under nonfiction?

Depends on the setting? If you use real names? If somethings changes to make it fiction? A lot of works fall between genres or bridge them. I’ve always considered nonfiction more like prose, so if it is a novella I’d most likely put it in general fiction, teen fiction, biography etc. depending on what it is about.

But yes write them if you want to.

Thank you. I think I am gonna change a few details since I do plan to post them here.

Has anyone else had a therapist tell them to write at all?

I’m a therapist myself, and I of course have suggested writing as a way to not only let things out, but also as a healthy and pleasurable way to make achievements.

I like this idea!

I say go for it!

Go for it! Writing is a wonderful way to channel emotions and experiences in a positive way, and it’s fun and creative! Good luck with your writing! :sparkles:

My writings are not that good and I need some help.

Writing of any kind, especially if it’s just to get thoughts out, really do help. As someone who has been through various kinds of therapy over the years, sometimes sitting down and just writing what comes to mind helps me an unwind. It doesn’t have to make sense or be fiction or even non-fiction. Just whatever is on your mind.

If you’d like a writing tip, open Google Docs and use the Comic Sans font. It’s a strange but amazing tricks, as the font itself is actually aesthetically pleasing to a working mind, simply how the letters are spaced and shaped. Odd, I know, but give it a shot!

Never feel pressure to post those sorts of things anywhere, but archive them on Docs or even Evernote.

I can speak from experience that writing really does help a lot on working through some issues. My therapist encourages it greatly as well.

I misread ‘write’ as ‘die’

Good luck with the writing. Agree with everyone here. Writing can be very helpful. I’ve always kept a journal and it isn’t anything I’d want anyone to read. It has always been a place to vent. I read somewhere about a writing therapy exercise where the person writes about a painful incident and creates in it what they would have done, or wished had happened, or what they did afterward that was positive. I can see how that might be really beneficial, and actually so many stories/fictions are just that–worlds we wish for, happy endings to dramatic conflict. Wish you all the best…and everyone else, too! (And I’ve made my husband swear that if I die before him, he will destroy my journals without reading them or letting anyone else read them, lol.)

I think it’s a very good idea! Whether you keep them to yourself, post them on here or get them published, it doesn’t matter. Writing is extremely therapeutic!

fiction can be based on real life

Go for it!

Writing is not just a great medium to express yourself but also helps you to vent out from certain situations of your life.
If you don’t want to publish, that is completely your choice. Like every social media handle, there are a bunch of people who criticize and bash unnecessarily neglecting the fact of how much efforts one puts into his one piece of wriitng. But, there are also good people who will motivate you and encourage you to write more. So both the sides of the coin should be analyzed well if you plan to publish.

And if you don’t want to publish, still keep on writing. Keep them with you either in google docs or any other software you prefer.

Good luck with your writing,

This is a great idea! Writing is an excellent way to express yourself. Seeing how I struggle with verbal & emotional expression, writing seems to help me do it better. I can usually explains things really well when I am using it as an outlet. :3