My vampires don't want to fall in love with humans

Hi there!
I see that a lot of vampire stories here are also romance stories. I have an idea for a vampire story, but there isn’t a romance in sight. I’d rather focus on what it means to be a vampire, how one can become a vampire, what are the unwritten rules of the vampire world, adding my twist to the myths surrounding vampires…
Here’s a question for you guys - would you run away from a story like that? Is romance really such an important part of the vampire genre?

2 Likes

I would love a story like this!! Vampire romance is such a bore and mostly all over done.

1 Like

Oh, I’m so glad to hear that! I thought I was the only one sick of love-struck vampires.

I flipping hate vampire romance. Borderline pedophilia. Pleeeaaase give me romance-free vampires

2 Likes

At your service! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m basically writing something similar to this. My MC is a new vampire discovering the what its like to be a vampire, no romance for him. He’s still in love with his dead fiance and is actively trying to get out of getting married. (his parents dont know he’s a vampire and this takes place in 1212 london) It’s slashed with his family drama and trying to stop more hardcore vampires from slaughtering all the humans in london. I find it very fulfilling to focus on a story that effects the world state. Often times vampire romance is just romance with no real substance so I like stories that dont focus on it.

1 Like

Oh god, can’t wait to read it. Tired of reading a 100 year old vampire falling in love with a human!!
I’d suggest: make it little funny. That would keep people reading. Like, draw analogies. Write it as a book where the vampire is trying to explain to us (reader i.e. humans) about what it’s like to be a vampire. Twist it around.
A bit of romance doesn’t hurt. But it can be like: the human is enamored with him but he’s just not into her. Like, why he would he be?
Happy Writing!

1 Like

Maybe a story like Blade, but with vampires pov
Much more interesting than romance for me, just try adding an antagonist to drive the plot/interest

2 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

I’m afraid you’ve already seen my thoughts on this in that other thread. I’m all for romance-free books, especially werewolf/vamp/fantasy/scifi. I wouldn’t run away from it at all.

1 Like

That sounds pretty interesting. Is the title of that story Fractured? I’ll check it out.

Thanks! I started off quite gloomy, but I actually did think about adding humor elements. I’ll see how that’ll fit in.

1 Like

You gave me the idea for this thread, actually :wink:

1 Like

No, it’s really up to you but I feel like it could also be a comedy depending on you decide to tackle it!

I do like comedy. I like having at least one wacky character in the story.

1 Like

Yes, like a good comic character.

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

Yes it is!

Romance is by far not important in vampires or any supernatural genre in my opinion. I’ve read several action or lore heavy stories and I’ve liked them no less. I have in the passed written some non-romance vampire stories myself. And in anime and movies, I’ve found I often prefer that. Such as Hellsing, Blood+ or Vampire Hunter D. All of which are heavier on action or contain mainly family relationships.
Rather, I write romance into my stories because I enjoy writing it. In most cases I try to stay away from the overdone side of things. The story I was working on for a while was a young half-vampire coming to age and it was focused on all of the unpleasant things no one thinks about with vampires. Like sun headaches or hearing your downstairs neighbors going at it when you’re trying to sleep because…you know enhanced hearing isn’t always to your benefit. But he happens to end up being friends with a girl his age who helps him out and they have a mild romantic relationship. No sex, or possessive stalking or mates or anything. He just happens to be a teenager, and happens to think she’s nice and pretty, being a 18 year old boy. . (though in a need to take a break from that story do to a case of writers fatigue I am contributing to the cringe-tastic vampire romance problem. My NaNoWriMo project is primarily a joke/challenge just to see if its possible to write a decent not totally cliche “sexy” vampire x human romance.)

okay, that got way off track. Anyway, i have nothing against non-romantic vampires, as long as they’re done right. Love the idea of focusing more on the what its like to be a vampire, and what vamp society is like. Kind of like vampire the masquerade or something like that.