Need help for a synonym of pack

Hi! I’m Reira and this is my first help thread lol

So my story is focused on werecats and I got to the point where the MC is being told that her training isn’t over and that enough werecats have been found to create a new “pack”, but I feel like pack is a werewolf thing just like coven is for witches. I tried looking up for some synonyms that would fit my werecat universe and the only thing I found was Coterie, but I feel like there might be something better so please feel free to write down what comes up on your mind :weary:

Not sure if this helps but a group of cats is called a clowder!

1 Like

Oh my gosh, thank you so much!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Pride is for lions who are exemption to solitary felines.

1 Like

Feral cats often live in groups called colonies. Notably, the idea that feral cats are mostly solitary is an old misconception, they can have pretty complex social structures.

2 Likes

There are a bunch of different words for groups depending on what kind of animal and how they organize.

Canines are packs because of the way their dominance structure works, the high degree of mutualism (the way the needs of the group are treated as more important than the interests of particular individuals within the group), the way they form teams in hunting, and the minimal gender-dependency of roles within the group - a female is nearly as likely to be the “alpha” as a male, and females and males have basically the same role in hunting.

Cats (Lions in particular) on the other hand are “prides” - which means they tend to hunt solo, share food only with close kin, and share territory with other members of the pride. And that applies mainly to the females. Aside from one or two males that are more or less wholly owned (and shared) by the lionesses of the pride, males are only loosely associated with any particular group and wander around a lot. And if a female wants to boink one of them and spend a year raising a set of cubs with him that have no relation to the pride males, the pride males don’t get a say in that. Prides work very differently than packs.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the info! Do you mind if I ask you if you 're able to link me to some good websites (or whatever video you watched) who talk about cats and prides? :star_struck:

1 Like