New forum flag

One thing that I often notice while scrolling through new threads is how many are put in the wrong categories. The most common ones I see are threads in #improve-your-writing that would be better suited for #story-services:special-services as they are asking about specific topics, coming close with some #share-your-story:story-requests that are actually just #story-services:critiques-and-feedback because they are for reviews. I will sometimes comment on how it’s better suited for another category, yet it is far easier (and less disruptive) to flag it and have an ambassador handle it than do it myself. Since we don’t really have a flag for such a need, I use the fourth flag.

What if we had an additional flag for threads in the wrong categories? Is it something that might actually help ambassadors who are doing their jobs, or would it be sorta unnecessary? And if it is unnecessary, then what would be the best course of action when one finds a misplaced thread?

Thank you for your time and attention.

I’m not an ambassador, Jess but I think an extra flag is unnecessary. The fourth option "Something Else’ is broad and encompasses everything else that the other three specify and more. Look:

You can read the full post here:

The fourth option of “Something Else” as we can specify in the notes that the thread is misplaced :slight_smile: I use it for misplaced threads, to be honest.

2 Likes

I may be wrong, but I believe flags are a discourse feature, so the types are set. However, if there’s a thread which is in the wrong place, flag it as ‘off-topic’ and a mod will be along to move it as soon as we’re available to :wink:

It’s always best to flag and let a community ambassador deal with it instead, as community ambassadors have had specific training on how to deal with these kinds of situations :blush:

3 Likes