New kind of Spam?

help
spam

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I’m a little alarmed. I got a message and it obviously looks like spam, but is he implying he’s going around stealing stories?

Either way, they’re getting a little smarter now, instead of links in profile name and bio, they’re putting it in their header images.

image image

2 Likes
The Weird Ghost Account Hustle I've Just Realised Is Happening Across WP
Unsolicited help offered through messages

Please PM this account to @TheOrangutan At least for now he would like them sent directly to him.

3 Likes

From what I’ve read this does seem to be a pretty recent thing - there’s a post on the Ask the Ambassadors thread here asking users to PM TheOrangutan if they receive a message from one of these accounts. Not sure if this still stands though - perhaps @Prisim (sorry for the tag) would be able to clarify? :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: whoops, just saw post above - sorry!

1 Like

I’ve already reported it to wattpad, not sure what help that may be. Do I pm him on wattpad with image links?

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve closed that one

1 Like

no worries, all taken care of

2 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Great, thank you

2 Likes

I got this exact thing yesterday!

I just dismissed it, based on the fact that I’m not a “sir” and it was an obvious fake

1 Like

If anyone sees this particular type of spam with the stories.gigz.me note included in the profile wallpaper then all they have to do is Private Message me the profile username on Wattpad and I’ll sort those out. Thanks, Gav

6 Likes
Unsolicited help offered through messages

Will they actually “submit”(steal) our content to their site?

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve removed that one.

And no, not to my knowledge. I think it’s more of a kind of “let your inquisitiveness take over for a moment and type in the web address and see where it takes you” type thing.

4 Likes

Ah, good. That one had me a little worried. Thanks! <3

3 Likes

Is this 1980’s thing a theme? witchoria’s spam account had 1981 in their name, while mine had 1982

2 Likes

Oh man… @FireAlwaysReturns @TheOrangutan, I had the same thing a week ago, didn’t realize it was fake… Now I feel stupid :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

“You sir, have flow”… Where have I heard that one before?

Also a year in their name? Huh. It must be a thing of these bots. A random combo of letters and then 19xx

4 Likes

Weird how the messages are all different but still implying theft of content so you want to go to site to make sure they don’t jack your stuff.

I didn’t go to site but I did Google the link to no avail trying to see if anyone had mentioned it before.

5 Likes

t o f n e m o n a c h t // 1981
r a l i d a n w i e // 1982
d i n s l a m a t o // 1970

Weird.

4 Likes

To be honest, I didn’t really understand what the person was saying. I thought they meant they were going to write a review or something. Never realized they were implying they were going to steal my content.

1 Like

Possibly how they number the spam accounts? Like, Bob90, Bob91, Bob92… That’s what I would do if I were trying to make a bunch of usernames I could remember in a short amount of time. But who knows. I can’t tell if these are real people with different messages or a bot

4 Likes