New Writer With a Few Questions (That have been answered)

Hello! I am PricelessBlossom. The username comes from the title of a song by one of my favorite bands, For King&Country.

Anyway, I’m a little confused. I’ve seen a lot about votes, and I’ve seen voting buttons at the top of all the stories I’ve read. What exactly are votes? Are they similar to likes, or are we voting for the story to receive a particular award, or is it something else entirely?

Also, how do book clubs on the forums work? Are they like real life book clubs where a leader chooses a story for everyone to read, or are they more like clubs where everyone reads everyone else’s work?

I would be most grateful for any help anyone can provide on these subjects, and I look forward to getting to know people on Wattpad!

5 Likes

First off, welcome to Wattpad! I hope you enjoy your time here! :blush:

They’re similar to likes. We’re not voting them to win anything. It’s just a nice way to show the author your support.

I think “forum clubs” is a very broad term, to be honest. But I do know that people don’t really read each others’ books like a real book club. Those types of book clubs do exist (mostly on the main site), but I don’t think that’s what the forum clubs are meant for. I’m not 100% sure, so anyone else is free to correct me.

2 Likes

Its basically a way to say you like the chapter, and helps the author with ranks and whatnot. You can do it for every chapter of any book.

This. Everyone reads each others work and leaves feedback and talks about it basically. Essentially a book club in the real world, but ya’ll reading each others.

Also, welcome to Wattpad.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help! This was very helpful information!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I think that answers my questions pretty effectively!

1 Like

Part of Wattpad’s algorithm depends on how many votes your book gets. Completed books get more attention, so if your vote count isn’t high while writing, don’t get discouraged.

Votes tend to be 10% of reads, because people get caught up in reading and forget or don’t know about voting. You get one vote per chapter, so a book with more chapters will automatically get more reads (think starting out with five chapters vs finished with 60-80). Some writers make 1/2 dozen fluff chapters about characters and author comments to get more reads, which I find annoying.

3 Likes

I see. That brings up another question I was going to ask, but forgot about when I created this topic. I have a small How To Train Your Dragon fan-fiction as my first project. I have already completed the story, so do you think I would be better off posting all the chapters now, or posting them one at a time according to a predetermined schedule?

Post on a schedule. Wattpad favors the books posted on schedule. It helps have the most potential to gain readers.

2 Likes

That, plus you can get feedback as you go, honing your editing skills. The forums have great resources for making covers, help with blurbs, and getting critiques.

Welcome to Wattpad and the forums :slight_smile:

You can read this article for more info- https://support.wattpad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201330250-Vote-on-a-Story

You can read this guide for more info- https://www.wattpad.com/story/13642756-how-wattpad-works

1 Like

Un favor, alguien sabe como ver el nivel de coonfianza

2 Likes