Newbie Romance Writer Club version 5. Chatting about writing and sharing experiences.

I’ve been active a little over a year. So not that long. So are you posting stories on Wattpad or are you more of a reader?

Young witch fleeing inquisitors. Ends up loosing her sister along the way and has to accept help from a highly unlikely alley in the form of a kelpie. Shapeshifting-handsome-man-creature from english mythos. And that’s kindof it for now, but I have a lot of ideas in my head, in terms of what directions I could take this. :>
How about yours?

Currently working on one story, and keeping an eye out for something I could read. So both I suppose? I take it you’re more of a writer?

Well I do write a lot when I don’t have writers block which I’m suffering from right now. But I do read a lot of stories on Wattpad and offline so to speak.

I have a bunch of stories going. One’s about two students at a magic academy who can’t stand each other, who do some investigating on the disappearances of missing students when what authorities say doesn’t add up. Another one is about a group of adventurers who fight a lot of villains kinda like a magic steampunk superhero team. That one is written in the form of a series of letters instead of in novel form.

Aaah I’ve only just recently found the local library since I’ve moved over to where I live now. Really looking forward to exploring it after exams are done :heart:

Sound interesting! :>

Thanks! I have a lot more going too, that’s just two of them. I have like, 11 works in progress posted lol.

I love the library, I hope you’ll enjoy yours as well. What do you study?

First year on landscape architecture. You’re a student too?

Hi all, jumping onto the topic, and sorry if I interrupt ongoing discussions.

I just started writing after discovering Wattpad and I would like to ask a question regarding your experiences as romance writers’ experience :grinning:

It is my first time writing stories - mainly romance with a mix of either fantasy or science-fiction - and I struggle the most with mixing the right amount of world context explanations and romantic scenes.

My question: how do you ladies and gentlemen manage to find the right balance with the description, the action and the romance?

Honestly, I think it just takes a lot of practice. Finding the right balance is really difficult to do.

The answer is easy. I don’t :wink:
Cause I suck.

Jokes aside though, I just kind of go with whatever feels right, without thinking much more about it. Whenever I start thinking too critically about what I write I just loose all my motivation.

Hi there! I’m a new Wattpad user too, and it’s also my first time writing stories! So, I don’t have a lot of advice from my own experience as a writer, but I’ve definitely noticed some patterns as a reader that I think are successful in this area. In my experience, the best stories are those that don’t necessarily consider the description, action and romance as separate things. For example, an action scene has to take place somewhere, and that’s a great opportunity to use description in a way that enhances the action taking place. Maybe a character is encountering a space for the first time, like walking into a building, and is keenly aware of the details of their surroundings, which might make for a scene with more space dedicated to a description. Or maybe two characters are in a fight, and they’re just getting chaotic flashes of the setting, which might result in an action-heavy scene with bursts of description that illustrate the tension of the fight.

Similarly, I think good romance scenes should be relevant to the broader arc of action in a story and to the characters. Does a romance scene contain important information that goes on to shape the story or a character in a significant way? If yes, perhaps more time and attention is warranted. Or, is a character desperate for a form of release after an intense action scene? Then maybe a shorter romance scene is warranted.

I guess it’s always seemed to me like pieces of a puzzle that need their surrounding pieces in order to fit perfectly. You may not be able to intuit how much attention to dedicate to a romance scene until you’ve completed the surrounding contextual scenes, in which case a good dose of revision, with the help of additional readers who aren’t as immersed in the story as you are, is integral.

Yeah, for my fantasy romance, for some chapters I spend so much time editing it, adding details and thinking of the reader’s point of view, etc, that I end up fed up with it and just post the thing haha :sweat_smile:

Thank you for your thought of reply :relaxed:

In my experience, the best stories are those that don’t necessarily consider the description, action and romance as separate things. For example, an action scene has to take place somewhere, and that’s a great opportunity to use description in a way that enhances the action taking place. Maybe a character is encountering a space for the first time, like walking into a building, and is keenly aware of the details of their surroundings, which might make for a scene with more space dedicated to a description. Or maybe two characters are in a fight, and they’re just getting chaotic flashes of the setting, which might result in an action-heavy scene with bursts of description that illustrate the tension of the fight.

Totally agree with you! I’m currently doing that in my story, as you say it is the most natural way to introduce desciption! But even then, descriptions need to be short and concize to not cut the action for too long and not bore the reader :thinking: … Need to work on that!

Similarly, I think good romance scenes should be relevant to the broader arc of action in a story and to the characters. Does a romance scene contain important information that goes on to shape the story or a character in a significant way? If yes, perhaps more time and attention is warranted. Or, is a character desperate for a form of release after an intense action scene? Then maybe a shorter romance scene is warranted.

Oooh, I have never analyzed things that way! That indeed sounds like a good way to proceed! I usually don’t think about the lenght when I write romance parts… I should think more about adjusting scene lenght depending on how it affects the plot from now on!

I guess it’s always seemed to me like pieces of a puzzle that need their surrounding pieces in order to fit perfectly. You may not be able to intuit how much attention to dedicate to a romance scene until you’ve completed the surrounding contextual scenes, in which case a good dose of revision, with the help of additional readers who aren’t as immersed in the story as you are, is integral.

I guess this step may come later, if I ever get enough readership for it to be worth editing :wink:

I think for now I will write using the points you have emphasized to structure the story combined with right dose of going with the flow!

I’m back! I made two cover templates (instead of writing LOL) and I’m proud with how well they turned out! It shows how much my Graphic making skills have improved, which is a LOT!

Hey guys…anyone here?

Oh that is cool. No I’m not a student totally adulting with job, kids and hubby :slight_smile: