Non European Mythological Gods!!

I have nothing against the Norse or Greek gods (and Egyptian gods although granted they’re not European), because they’re pretty cool, but I’ve seen them used in so many ‘married to Ares’ or some such plots and I need to branch out for diversities sake. For the moment I’m trying to avoid using gods that people worship to this day Because I don’t want to cause offence.

If someone could just give me some suggestions that would be great :+1:

2 Likes

The Japanese kami. The Chinese have tons of deities, too. Take your pick.

4 Likes

African, Mesopotamian, Celtic and Slavic (technically European), Native American, Aztec, Mayan, Polynesian.

3 Likes

If you’d like some Igbo (West African Mythology) I could run you a basics on Igbo gods. :smiley:

Scary? Yeah, they’re supposed to be. :joy:

5 Likes

Good thought! None of them are used (currently being worshipped right ^^’)

I looked a bit into Celtic but I didn’t want draw from the same content as the other character but they are pretty cool ^^ I think I’ll look at Mesopotamian and aztec :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2 Likes

That would be awesome! Are they like individuals or like shrine gods. (Amazing masks by the way, it’s 1 am an the teeth are doing terrible things to my imagination ^^’)

1 Like

Haitian Voudou is super cool. And Aztec deities. Hindu deities too. I can definitely recommend looking into all of these.

2 Likes

There were several worshiped in Arabia during the time of Mohamed. The only one still being worshiped is Allah, the moon god and that’s where the quarter moon comes from.

2 Likes

With Japanese and Chinese deities it’s a bit complicated. Japanese Kami are gods made by humans, not the other way around. So you could very easily invent your own on this concept. See Noragami as a reference.
For Chinese deities it’s even more interesting. People used to believe that cultivators who reached immortality had the ability to ascend to heaven and become gods. Also, emperors used to claim they were “Sons of heaven”, if not gods who descended to earth for the time of their reign. That’s why cultivation novels are actually kind of fascinating when you get over the power spiral issue in most of them.

2 Likes

Cool :+1:

Great. Another bad boy story.

1 Like

Just make up your own deities, it’s pretty easy.

I can help ya if you need, I do it all the time.

1 Like

Try Hindu Gods. Idek how many there are…

2 Likes

I don’t think we have a demi-God tradition. They’re shrine spirits (witch interesting priest/priestess) rites.

The Igbo traditional religon is called: “Odinani” if you need to do research and look up more.

Here’s a super short rundown

There’s a belief in a universal higher God: ‘Chukwu’ he’s the God of creation, and his wife (mother of all) ‘Ala’ is the Earth God/God of preserving creation. Fertility, harvest, childbirth—everything that involves preserving life.

" Chukwu. Transcending the multiplicity of gods in Igbo religion is a high god called Chukwu (or Chi Ukwu), whose name may be translated as “The Great Spirit.” The Igbo religionist thinks of Chukwu as an all-powerful, allknowing divinity, the maker of the cosmos as well as all the minor gods that make up the Igbo pantheon. Chukwu is not believed to have human attributes, but is often referred to as “He.” Chukwu is believed to inhabit the sky and is often associated with the Sun, which is believed to be God’s “eye” on the Earth."

Ala. Parallel to the idea of Chukwu as a masculine deity associated with the Sun is the idea that the Moon is feminine and closely associated with the goddess Ala—Earth. While Chukwu is in charge of creation, Ala is in charge of conserving that which is created. While Chukwu is the giver of the moral law, Ala is the enforcer of the law. Ala is also the “womb” that holds and nurtures and renews when necessary. The Igbo , an agrarian people, regard her as the “mother” of all crops.”

• Igbo people believe that Chukwu has given them a bit of his creative spirit and creative soul/mind.(Chi/Eke)

The ‘Chi’ (personal God) always has a shrine in some’s compound.
The Eke is more like a ‘creative spirit’ and is called upon by specific peoples (Neat thing, Igbo people have a fascination with iron, so henace Iron smithing.)

" Chi, the spirit believed to inhabit each individual. Chi is said to be the fractal representation of Chukwu that resides in each person. In fact, Chukwu may be translated as “The Great Chi” as well as “The Great Spirit.” Because every person’s Chi descends directly from the Great God, all humans share in the divine character. This participation in the divine is symbolized in the Ikenga, a statue that every adult may enshrine in his or her compound as a reminder that in everyday thought and action, one’s spirit must constantly be elevated toward God. Some call Chi the “soul” of the person, but it is equally possible that the correct translation is “mind,” because another word, obi, best approximates the English meaning of “soul.”"

Some vocabulary:

• Okike (Creation)
  • Alusi (Supernatural Forces or Deities)
  • Mmuo (Spirit)
  • Uwa (World)

- There are smaller Gods. (Alusi)

Despite an all-encompassing God, Igbo people do believe that God gives us our ‘chis’ and some Chis are not within humans and hence lesser spirits. They manifest as protectors/spirits or something. There’s also a belief that sometimes a person dies, and their ‘chi’ doesn’t return back to Chukwu in the land of the dead (ani mmo) so they remain wandering spirits—we call those Mmo. They might end up inhabiting other people’s bodies and possessing them. They can be nice or mischievous, often depending on how they were when they were full-fledged human beings.

In a way, I think this belief in Mmo is partially the reason Igbo people believe in reincarnation.

Names like: ‘Nnamdi’ (My father lives) and Nnenna ( A father’s mother) reflect that belief that people come back reincarnated as children, probably taking the body before it has been assigned a ‘chi.’ People are considered to reincarnate about 7 times (because you’re given seven chances to enter the land of the dead.) an ‘Ogbanje’ is an evil spirit that keeps reincarnating and plaguing the family. This might happen because the spirit wants revenge and is restless.

• List of popular lesser Gods. Lesser Gods are called Asuli.

There are probably Thousands of lesser spirits. Like I mentioned since they’re manifestations of particular things/objects/geography most of the lesser gods (like river Gods) are geo-specific, but there are some universal lesser Gods.

Amadioha.:
Amadioha (free will of the people) is the Alusi of justice, thunder, lightning and the sky. He is referred to as Amadioha in southern Igboland, Kamalu , Kamanu , Kalu among the Aro and other Cross River Igbo people, Igwe among the Isuama Igbo and in northwestern Igboland, and Ofufe in certain parts of Igboland. His color is red, and his symbol is a white ram. Metaphysically, Amadioha represents the collective will of the people.

Ogbunabali: Literally meaning “one who kills at night” is a death deity. His name has already described his functions. He kills his victims at night. His victims are criminals and those who have commited an unspeakable taboo.

Anyanwu: The sun is one of the most revered things created by Chukwu. The Igbo keep it at a high esteem. The sun in igbo language is translated to “anyanwu”, the ‘anya’ means ‘eyes’ and the ‘anwu’ means ‘light’, The Igbos took the sun as their deity because of its light to the world. (Note: You can talk to Chukwu through Anyanwu since she is the supreme God’s eye.)

Ekwensu: This Alusi was adept at bargains and trade, and praying to Ekwensu was said to guarantee victory in negotiations. As a force of change and chaos, Ekwensu also represented the evils among the Igbo, invoked during times of conflict and banished during peacetime to avoid his influences inciting bloodshed in the community, warriors set up shrines to Ekwensu to help war efforts. Ekwensu was a bringer of violence and possessed people with anger. Ekwensu holds the propensity of bringing misfortune and is regarded as an evil spirit in this sense. Among the Christian, Igbo Ekwensu is representative of satan and is seen as a force which places itself opposite to that of Chukwu.

Agwu.: Also known as Agwusi, Agwu is the Igbo trickster god. It is not known whether any of these deities is male or female. Rather, the trickster is considered capable of being either sex at anytime, even both at once, or neither sex at all. Respected and feared, Agwu is capable of sowing confusion in the mind of even the clearest reasoner. Agwu, however, can also clarify confusion, even when it is caused by human ignorance, the finite capacity of the human mind, or the evil actions of other persons or gods. If it pleases Agwu to protect or “work with” a thinker, unparalleled lucidity may be attained. But if it pleases the god to sow confusion in someone’s mind, there is nothing anyone can do about it—except work with Agwu to lift the curse or devise a technique of information gathering that overcomes the external confusion wrought by Agwu. Agwu is most dreaded by Dibia (These are like Shamans they talk to the Gods and to the dead for a price.), whose success as diviners depends on clarity of mind. Dibia are therefore taught ritual sacrifices that they must make to Agwu at the beginning of every divination session. Agwu is thus the patron deity of diviners.

Ikenga: (literally ‘place of strength’) is an alusi and a cult figure of the right hand and success found among the northern Igbo people. He is an icon of meditation exclusive to men and owners of the sculpture dedicate and refer to it as their ‘right hand’ which is considered instrumental to personal power and success. Ikenga is a source of encoded knowledge unraveled through psychological principles. The image of Ikenga comprises someone’s chi (‘personal god’), his ndichie (ancestors), aka Ikenga (right hand), ike (power) as well as spiritual activation through prayer and sacrifice.

- Mmuo and minor forces (Spirits lesser than Alusis) The female spirits inhabit water and earth, the male spirits inhabit fire and air.

Last thing: There’s a belief that the gods are ultimately in service of man. If a spirit does not serve you well, destroy it or drive them away.

5 Likes

the Aboriginal gods are interesting as are the Cthullu creatures or make up your own gods

1 Like

I’ve actually done a fair bit of research into Hindu religion and the whole idea of Brahman! but since people still use it today, I didn’t want to use it in the story ^^ (Aztec is interesting tho)

1 Like

Cool! I was hopping to do some more research into the Middleastern religions and see what I could find :slight_smile: thanks for letting me know about Allah, i just want to remain respectful so as not to use someone’s religion they believe strongly in in a fictional world with other fictional mythologies.

Oh! I have watched noragami :slight_smile: I had no idea that was actually based on the Japanese religion, thank you! All these answers have been so helpful ^^

Definitely something I want to avoid ^^’

1 Like

I can only recommend reading the Manga here. The end of the first season is a trainwreck…

1 Like