I just wanted to chime in. I read the first few posts of this thread, but I didn’t expect it to go on as long as it did. I will also not claim to have read the 1558 posts on this thread. So, I don’t know if some of my points have been said already.
I consider myself very accomplished in terms of stats on wattpad. In fact, I could easily say I get in way more than I put in on the site. I’ve probably read like four stories. Yet, in less than 2 months, I had 20,000 reads, 1,000 votes and ~500 followers. (Yes, my profile is currently a little over 2 months old.)
That didn’t happen randomly, and I don’t attribute my success to the algorithm at all. Shoot, I still can’t be on top of the rising list because I’m still stuck as a “new” story.
- I asked Facebook friends and close friends to read my story when it was new
- I brought in readers from relevant threads and subreddits on reddit
- I brought in readers from relevant facebook groups
- I brought in readers from relevant forums (in fact one forum has probably brought me at least 2,000 readers)
- This is the most important one. I sent a PM every hour that I was awake asking people who read trash stories with similar plots to read my story. This is where almost all of my 1,000 votes came from.
Sure, I won a contest. 1st place in general fiction for April’s Book Awards actually. It was a great confidence booster, but I don’t think it brought me any extra reads. Maybe, now that I have a sticker, it’s likely someone’s more willing to look at my cover and read my summary.
Sure, I’ve posted in SYS threads, done read for reads, offered critiques, but there’s nothing that will play the algorithm to your favor like bringing in a reader who is guaranteed to fall in love with your work and vote on all your chapters. I’m still ranking in the top 25 of science fiction, a major category, and I’m currently taking time off of writing because I’m depressed. I haven’t posted a new chapter in like a month, but every couple days a reader I PMd some time ago will check out my story and vote on every chapter.