Not Welcome On WattPad.

Yes! Like, I’ve been oppressed hugely my whole life, and not just for being a woman.

Well, you know how religious and catholic the homeland is. Well, I’m half Jewish with one of my last names being Jewish, so I’ve always been harassed about that.

Since I moved, I’ve been harassed for my culture, my food, my native language, my fsmoky, my country, my traditions, and so much more! I usually consider myself white-passing and the fact that just my name and attitude stems so much hate for other people… I can’t imagine what the non white-passing and non light skin part of our community must be going through right now!

My parents and sister are light skin but not white-passing and when I was little people thought my mother was my Latin nanny. Like, how do people see nothing racist in assuming that? It’s ridiculous!

I know that he didn’t win the majority vote, but I was still so disheartened to see how many people DID vote for him. I thought there were so many less people who supported such horrible acts being done and I’m so sad to be proved so wrong.

I try not to hold it against Americans in themselves though because there’s so many Americans who are still against him and his policies!

So far I have two friends. :slight_smile: Hopefully that will increase…

Yas :smile:

I’m darked skinned and I see you all talking about this, and cannot help but feel that wealth reduces the effect of racism to an extent.

Sure, I’ve had to deal with stupid stuff here and there, but overall my family’s wealth puts me in a positon where I am not in direct contact with it for the most part.

It’s good to talk about it, I think this type of things make you stronger. You have seen a dark side of the population, and fortunately you’ll know how to face it and overcome stereotypes so people can learn to respect and accept our differences.
If anyone wants to talk about things like this, these communities and I will listen. Let’s be supportive!

Wealth has a big part in privilege, of course! But I know a lot of dark skin friends who I would say it’s fair to call rich and even they have experienced a lot of racism and discrimination!

I think wealth affects privilege, but the circles you run in affects your experience with this stuff a bit more.

Like, where I currently live, there’s barely any POC or immigrants, so we’re all facing discrimination all the time no matter our wealth because we are still such a minority in the community.

But that’s where I live. Obviously where you live it’s a different story.

Same here, unfortunately the ones that have less are the ones that suffer more. I really wish I could take away their pain, really.

Yes! Also, from being white-passing and having been widely fetishized for being a “reverse cocunut” - white on the outside and brown or Latina on the inside (in my attitude and such) - or my family’s nickname for me “Blanca Nieves” I also like to point out and fight against the colourist and racism in the Latin community! It’s disgusting to see how much of it still exist costs in the homeland and how will we ever expect the white people to treat us equally and with respect when we don’t even treat all of our brothers and sisters that way?

I live in Alberta, which is supposed to be the center of Canadian racism after Quebec. :joy:

I guess this is a big part of it. I am not very socail in the first place, and I’m very pickey concerning who I associate myself with.

I live in a small city that’s basically 95% white people if not more. I’ve only been to Alberta for sports trips, but how would you say the stats are, in your eyes? Do you usually have a fellow POC in a room with you? In your grade? Your school?

At the university I’m studying at in the moment. I’m usually the only black person at a lecture but maybe one out of 3 black people. I don’t know about Alberta stats in General but I tend to think Calgary (where some of my family stays) is a lot more diverse than Edmonton (where I currently am.)

Preach! You know what too? I have a feeling that people should really read more, MOSTLY people who read are the ones who have a major understanding within these topics and have a high level of tolerance. When I read about things like autobiographies like Malala or a girl that escaped North Korea It gives me a feeling of wanting to help others and I become less judgmental about others.

I want to plaster this post on a billboard!

Reading does make you a better person. :slight_smile:

I’m just saying to spitball, lol, I don’t know my official stats either.

Sadly, my 95-98% white city is the most diverse city in the entire province! If you go into the more rural areas… Damn they’re so racist! They smile though ‘cause they don’t realize how ignorant and racist they’re being :joy:

But that’s why I asked. I was the only POC child in my grade - one of three in a over a thousand child school - for my entire childhood.

There were slightly more POC in my junior high and now, with the Syrian refugees, there are more in the high school.

Sadly, it feels like the last two years I’ve been experiencing MORE horrible experiences instead of less, but again, that’s just my experiences :woman_shrugging:

Here in Mexico it depends mainly on what your social status is, mostly rich people think they are more human than others. There are groups in my school of guys that actually act like they are more human than others just because they have more.

I’m lucky I had such open parents. They grew up with sad backstories that seem like they’re out of a book and they were always so adamant in teaching me that everyone is equal and to respect everyone.

I’m so lucky. I don’t deserve my parents.

You are very lucky, those are the people we should always protect.
Unfortunately, there are others that have to learn the hard way by living their own experiences.

“More human” among the people I talk with every day means someone who’s making an effort to be good to other people. People say that about my wife when she volunteers for church or civic service, or about the local priest when he organizes a soup kitchen to feed the hungry and homeless.

From context I don’t think that’s how you meant it, but you should know that’s how people will interpret the words.