Novel or novella

77,000 words

Like the title says: is this a novel or novella?

I recently finished my story. I’ve always called it a ‘novella’ because I feel it’s short and sweet. Maybe I’m too used to fantasy epics with massive word counts, but calling something this short a novel grates.

But according to the great internet, it’s a novel. Short, maybe, but well within limits.

What are your thoughts?

I think novel, barely because most fantasy novels I’ve read are huge with 100k+ words. I wouldn’t call it novella, they are very short. approximately 30 to 35k words

2 Likes

I agree. Its a novel. I mean, 50K is already a YA novel so I think 77K is very much into the novel category.

Here’s the word count according to wikipedia:

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_count

4 Likes

Novel - according to Wikipedia.

Classification Word count
Novel 40,000 words or over
Novella 17,500 to 39,999 words
Novelette 7,500 to 17,499 words
Short story under 7,500 words
3 Likes

Oh, lol. That’s what I get for not reading the full thread before answering :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah. I found that and others like it.

But I don’t think anyone would call a 40k story a ‘novel’, no matter what Wikipedia says.

2 Likes

:joy: it’s alright. Every opinion needs to be seconded to be believed. :grin:

3 Likes

40-50k is pretty standard for contemporary YA Romance :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Definitely novel! Anything over 50k words can’t really be called otherwise, haha… A novella is a short story that is not quite short, somewhere between 15-30k words, I’d say.

2 Likes

Well I guess I’ll have to rebrand as a novel… But I really liked the sound of ‘novella’ lol :joy:

3 Likes

Sorry, pal :joy:

2 Likes

If you split it in two, you could make it a two novella set :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you were in singapore, we have a english dialect called Singlish. And in Singlish, we sometimes add the word ‘la’ to the end of our words or sentences. So, for instance, instead of just “ok” we might say “Ok la” which means Ok, yes i know.

But i suppose that means in Singapore, you could have a 'Novel la"! :grin::joy:

3 Likes

and @AWFrasier I googled on the internet and it seemed novelette was a dying term, so I use the word short story to describe my 11k work. Is that bad? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think it matters much on Wattpad. The terminology here is Short Story or just Story. (I think Short Stories are under 30-35k words here)

2 Likes

I truly think the chart oversimplifies. You can argue that, for example, a 60,000 word adult fantasy story is a novel according to the chart, but the readers would perceive it as a novella.

In YA and contemporary romance, 40K-50K is a novel, but in any other genre that word count is too short.

I definitely think there’s an argument to be made to define according to genre expectations, at least at some level.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Juuuuust gonna shove my bite-sized Fantasy books away here.

1 Like

LOL.

2 Likes

That was another thing the internet told me:

So maybe 80k is ok for some genres, but for fantasy readers expect longer books.

2 Likes