offended when people don't want to read LGBT+?

question

Are you kidding? People should definitely not be offended when other people don’t want to read LGBTQ+ books. Why? Because everyone has their own preference. Everyone’s allowed to have their own preference.

It’s like dating. If someone has a preference in dating black guys is that racist to other races? Fuck no. Someone’s preference shouldn’t be an offence as long as that person’s preference isn’t based on bigotry and hate.

So untrue. My erotic male/male books are filled with hypersexual gay males and the readers love it. There certainly is nothing boring about it and in no way is it harmful. Gay males are proud of their sexuality and so tired of women who always have to shame them. Hypersexuality is a real aspect of gay male life, same as it is of straight male life. Those who don’t like it don’t have to read it. There are plenty of gay male books that depict them almost as nonsexual to appeal to those who don’t want to read a lot of sex.

Ignoring reality on a personal basis is fine, but suggesting that writing about realistic sex is ‘fetishizing’ is just not seeing life as it really is. Plenty of people, gay and straight, do all that stuff that those who push the ‘fetishize’ agenda don’t like, and they want to read about it too. To them it’s just reality, and good sex, and they have no need to pretend it’s anything else.

Sigh. You talk about not conflating personal feelings with reality, and yet here you are, talking past the point I was making because it is your own reality.

I am aware that sexuality is a different matter for many men in your community. It is in my posts.

That said, I was talking about cis women (often not even queer) who love to write about the gay experience and, in doing so, fetishize these men they are writing about to a point where it’s harmful to you and your peers.

You can be hypersexual all you want. Celebrate that with your fiction. Just don’t make every gay man out to be the cliché from a story and pressure people into it because it is true to your own experience. Not everyone is involved into the community the way you are, and it’s certainly none of us cis women’s business to stereotype you.

Because stereotyping is harmful, you know.

There are also plenty of men who don’t feel “gay enough” because of these images, so there’s that. Maybe consider other people sometimes.

Just accept the fact that if people want to read it, your work is not for them, but take comfort in the fact that there’s plenty of readers here that will gobble LGBT+ content up!

Fun fact: One of my gay acquaintances claims that the series “Queer as Folk”, while highly criticized for its depiction of gays, is very accurate and that a first date is considered a failure when there is no sex involved. Make of that what you will. :woman_shrugging:

Yeah, within the community. Doesn’t really take away from my point, though. When you’re not involved into the culture, you don’t give a crap about all that.

And honestly, as an asexual person, this kind of pressure sounds absurd, but that’s just me.

Asexual have it rough anyway. It’s so sad that there are still people who claim someone is “broken” when they just aren’t really interested in sex. Doesn’t make anyone less human in my book.

Yes, that. Thanks for acknowledging that issue. <3

But I think in the end it comes down to this: every personal experience is valid, be it hypersexual (which is a logical way of celebrating your sexuality after being suppressed by society for a long time, or you just… like it xD) or more toned down because one is either not involved that much in the community and culture around all that or just… doesn’t care so much about sex in general.

I think it’s just important to be aware that neither experience is the standard. Maybe that’s where all of us can agree on. :slight_smile:

I’d say asexual people have no business criticizing people who are sexual. They don’t feel it, they don’t know it, they have no idea. How can they tell sexual people how to be? It’s the same as heteros telling gays how to behave. It’s all a matter of not accepting others as they are. No one has the authority to say how many of anybody should behave this way or that for it to be right or wrong for them.

Could you stop taking everything personally and actually read what I write? That’d be great.

Like, I specifically said that every expression of sexuality is valid. But you pick out one quote and rip it from its context to dig at me. Stop it.

You also have a fundamentally wrong image of asexual people, by the way. But honestly, since you take everything the wrong way, I won’t discuss this with you any further. It’s tiresome. Thread muted.

oof okay

I have seen this too. I kind of don’t like people who discriminate like this.

Better then this? nothing wrong with having style and topics you like to read LGBT is just a part of life…so are cars
would you get offended if some one didn’t want to read a car magazine…no
youz sensitive

exactly.

THIS. I would absolutely hate for all LGBTQ+ books to be thrown into one genre, because it would cut us off from the rest of the writing community. As a queer woman, I write a lot of queer characters, and I use tags to let people know (#lgbt #gay #lesbian #queer #bi etc. etc. etc.) It works just fine. If my book is a romance, a murder mystery, a science fiction work, a fantasy novel, whatever the case may be, I want it under that genre, not lumped under LGBTQ+. We want acceptance, right? So why would we resist being mainstreamed?

Pretty much how I feel, too. Sure, it doesn’t feel good when someone hates people that are like you, or when your story is turned down just because of LGBTQ+ characters or “themes,” but at the end of the day, it’s those people’s losses. Easier said than done, I know! But I don’t want homophobes reading my stories, anyway; I’m not writing my queer characters for them. I’m writing my stories for me and the other people who want to read them and see accurate queer representation :slight_smile: Plus, we all know that fighting fire with fire doesn’t work. Better to leave hateful, fearful, angry people like that to their own devices, because honestly, that can’t be a fulfilling or happy life that they’re living with all that hate.

Amen!

THIS. It’s like when people say that queer people or people of color shouldn’t be written into high fantasy novels. Like, what? :expressionless: So you’re okay with magic and dragons and giants and elves and fairies and unicorns, but not queer people or POC? Seems legit :expressionless:

OH MY GOD, THIS. I don’t even have anything to add because you’ve said it all. Just applause :clap: :clap: :clap:

Once again, no words, just applause :clap: :clap: :clap: Amen, sista!

Same. You don’t see a “Straight” genre, do you? And for good reason. We’re just like everyone else, don’t try to cordon us off from the rest of the stories on Wattpad.

Was wondering when people would bring up the fetishization of gay romances (cough “yaoi” “boys love” etc. etc.) by mainly straight women who think it’s “hot” :upside_down_face: As a queer woman myself, I actively avoid all stories that look like they fetishize queer people. Unfortunately, that’s so much of the queer fiction on Wattpad :weary:

Just going to chime in to say that I don’t really consider LGBT+ fic a genre, so much as a theme. Only exception might be a literal coming out story in which coming out and societal backlash is the main overarching focus of the story. Even then, it’d be a subgenre of realistic fic.

I think that most people who specify “no LGBT” are probably homophobic tbh. Someone who was actually concerned for how that makes LGBT people feel would probably say “no romance” or “no stories focused solely around LGBT themes” but that having LGBT characters was fine.

But, I don’t want to interact with whatever those people are doing anyway, tbh. Get them to read my story? And what, have their “criticism” be about how my character shouldn’t be trans? Not useful. Have them make a cover for me, and now something I’m using to identify my book was made by a homophobe? Also not really appealing to me. In a way I don’t really mind when people are upfront about not being cool with LGBT stuff because I know just to avoid them and not worry about it.

I hate when my stories get put into a reading list called yaoi. So many times I’ve wanted to be like can you change the name of the reading list or move my book into a different one. But I’ve always decided against it because it’s their life and not mine.

I personally have only been writing fanfictions or they start out as original books then I change them into that category because it’s less likely to come across homophobic people that way. Although, I do write in other genres every once in a while. But since I’ve been on here (almost five years now) I feel the fanfiction category is a little more friendly to the lgbt+ community (even though a good portion of people reading them are cis females fetishising gay males or trans people).

perhaps iz am

oof bless

I agree with this paragraph, only, there are quite a few cases where no lbgt+ probably isn’t homophobic.
For example,
in my story, the MC is non-binary, so I imagined someone who specified no lgbt+ wouldn’t want to read it.
However, when looking for critiques, I found someone w/ that specification, but I gave them my story anyway just to see how they’d react (probably not the smartest idea but oh well)
and they literally had no problem with it — (i was very confused)
in fact, they gave me a pretty positive review (they were probably just being nice but that’s not the point)
if I assumed no lgbt+ meant no lgbt+ characters or anything, I would’ve missed out on their feedback.

I honestly don’t know the correct way to respond to no lgbt+ comments b/c it could mean almost anything.

As I’ve said before, people need to specify what they mean by no lgbt+ because it can cause a lot of unnecessary hostility and confusion.