Open Novella Contest and more!

So I’m using SF prompts 6 and 7. Now, I was thinking maybe setting it in the medieval times and have a knight go to a gypsy or a fortune teller. Since I’m not sure of tattoos were a popular thing in europe back then, I was thinking maybe he got it branded with a branding iron as a punishment. I was thinking of using a sword for the tarot branded on him because in tarot reading, most of the sword cards kinda relate with the character and his backstory. Thoughts, please?

OOF I believe in you You can do it.

Ya’ll I’m going to do a second story for this competition

What is your first story titled?

I’ve spent two days on outlining and drafting just one! I can’t imagine trying to do two!

Who is your character and what is his backstory? If you don’t mind me asking!

My first one is called The Secrets of a Missing Beauty Queen

Nice! I’ll admit, I found the prompts a little tougher to negotiate this year; not as much wiggle room. Got my eye on SUSPENSE 1: Winter Sun, though plot twist, it’ll take place in a lowveld.

Awesome, I know sometimes someone might not always want advice when they just released something, rather it be in a draft copy or not. I’ll just comment on the book if that’s okay? Unless you wanted me to point anything out here? (I don’t know how much advice I can give or even how good it is but it’s up to you where you would like it.)

I know the feeling lol Did you think of twisting so that it wouldn’t become… well romancey?

(I know, I"m late come back to the party haha so maybe someone else already answered you or tried to help you or something…)

in the book would be best so I could edit in chapter :slight_smile:

I really liked it.

I would say maybe put a space between “—” and the words surrounding it. What I mean is: "clouds — A ". But I’m not sure what the rule is on that either. My suggestion might actually be wrong on it.

I hope I didn’t offend you.(I’m sorry if I did) I wasn’t trying to when I had googled translated it.

But thank you for replying and verifying what you meant! To me your English is fine.

Of course, so long as it meets the wattpad forum guidelines. Which I think the only thing we can’t do is put the link.

Asking for import, suggestions, if something fits or not, that’s all fine.

I would love to hear about your story!

I’m late coming back to this awesome party so I haven’t quite reached the bottom of the comments yet. So if you said more about it I"ll probably jump in on those to lol

Alright, so I’m going to break this down to try and see what you’re getting at.

Is there a reason the knight is going to the gypsy or fortune teller? A mission? An adventure? Just because they wants to?

This really depends in my opinion. Are you adding fantasy to it? A more fairy tale like plot to it? Or maybe something more basic like histrocal fiction?

General speaking, I believe that the branding would work better (once again that is just my own opinion.)

I think that part sounds like a great idea. I’m not to well informed on tarot reading or how it is done but it sounds like you know the basics for it, which is always a bouns.

Of course! :slight_smile:

He’s a knight and he’s really at a dead end here, so he goes and seeks advice/clarity from this person.

He’s been in many wars and is like 25-32ish and his sister who’s 18 got sick and this is where I’m trying to lace the second prompt in here. (This is why he seeks help from the witch or gypsy).

The reason he got branded is because he killed someone he wasn’t supposed to like a prince or a lord. I’m bit sure if I want to make it so he kills a lord from the enemy side and he gets captured and the imprisoned and tortured???

He’s trying to save his sister, this is where the second prompt would sort of play in.[quote=“StoryWritersNeverLie, post:316, topic:47799”]
This really depends in my opinion. Are you adding fantasy to it? A more fairy tale like plot to it? Or maybe something more basic like histrocal fiction?
[/quote]

Kind of a bit fantasy, but nothing too magical like HP…something more subtle.[quote=“StoryWritersNeverLie, post:316, topic:47799”]
I think that part sounds like a great idea. I’m not to well informed on tarot reading or how it is done but it sounds like you know the basics for it, which is always a bouns.
[/quote]

I honestly didn’t know much about tarots either until I looked them up yesterday.

Okay, so the knight goes to the gypsy or fortune teller and now the second prompt comes into play. Okay, so how does he come across it? Does the gypsy/fortune teller tell him what lays in his fate? (ie: the only way to save the sister is becoming an anti-hero). Or do the cards show him walking down a dark and dangerous path that will make him change how he sees himself?

That’s fine, I don’t think Novellas are really meant for to much magic (or at least as much as HP requires). Something more subtle like the DC? Marvel? Uh, I’m trying to think of other shows that have magic but I can’t come up with many at the moment.

Is it just going to be a faint type of magic? (Maybe like Once Upon A Time, in the human world, outside of Storybook, where no one really believes in it but its still there.)

Well, you’re putting in the research for it, which is great! Sometimes having to research something will turn someone away from it.

Oh, I found my people. Hello! Sounds like everyone is having a ton of fun + stress XD

If you are looking for inspiration on the Tarot aspect, you should check out Jessica Lanyadoo on lovelanyadoo.com and the tarot articles on thehoodwitch.com And also look at Maggie Stiefvater’s raven cycle series! There are subtle magical elements in her work as well as tarot!

Does his sister have a supernatural illness?