Open Novella Contest and more!

This is true :joy: I run on last minute panic and coffee, to be honest.

This is also why I did it. I’m a serial non-finisher. It feels good to have something “complete.”

Right? I have more than ten one-shots, but I can’t ever seem to finish a novel. The problem I’m running into with ONC now is that I just end up writing a ton on the day of the deadline because my procrastination has more willpower than I do :joy:

I mean…that’s kind of impressive all in itself lol

:rofl: I suppose. It’s going to come back and bite me, though . . .

I’ve got some up-front tings (foreward and other random stuff) to add to my novella. Do you all think judges would count that toward the overall word count or do you think they only start with the story?

Guess who just got back into the contest!

Wow, congrats!

Thank you!

If it’s like author notes, map, or glossary, I’d say no. They do take prologues into consideration though. I only know this since they did counted my story’s prologue when the contest first started out.

Good to know. I think these things don’t count. I’ve thrown them up anyway. They’re at least on brand for the book.

They count prologues and anything that is part of the story, but not forewords or author’s notes. It’s stated somewhere in the rules/questions in the ONC book, but I can’t remember where exactly. If I find it, I’ll let you know where that’s stated :relaxed:

It’s in the Frequently Asked Questions chapter:

Q. Do author’s notes count toward the word goals?

No, only literary material will count. This means author’s notes, casts, character bios, playlists, credits, acknowledgements, forewords, prefaces, epigraphs (and other non-literary introductory material and front matter) won’t be part of the word count.

Prologues and epilogues are considered literary (story) material, so will count towards the word goal.

He says this, having written my favourite story so far.

Thanks!

Omg, just completed my entry, making it the first story completed on my profile :blush: Feels freaking good if I may say it out loud :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That’s awesome! :slight_smile:

Fun game for everyone, especially those who have hit the middle of their WIP and are looking to keep the Inner Writer warm while they push through into the business end. Or if you’re done and just bored. All answers are limited to one sentence unless otherwise stated.

1. What is the tone of your story?

2. Why is this the best tone for your story?

3. What was your protagonist’s biggest struggle in the opening 2000 words?

4. What is your protagonist’s biggest struggle going into the second half of your story?

5. Is there a secondary character who represents your protagonist’s failure state and one who represents the positive outcome of their arc? If so, how? (One sentence for each character?)

6. Are you having fun? Why? (Two, baby. Go.)

7. What is the most enjoyable aspect of your story?

8. What’s been the most challenging aspect up until now?

9. One passage of dialogue that exemplifies your protagonist. (Max three sentences. No description, just pure dialogue – let it speak for itself.)

10. Other than yours, what’s your favourite ONC story so far? Why? (Three.)

Awesome questions, Milo :grinning:
But what do you mean by “tone”? Is it the theme?

Tone, in written composition, is an attitude of a writer toward a subject or an audience. Tone is generally conveyed through the choice of words, or the viewpoint of a writer on a particular subject. … The tone can be formal, informal, serious, comic, sarcastic, sad, or cheerful, or it may be any other existing attitude.

Searched from Google :sweat_smile: