Open Novella Contest and more!

Thanks you! :smile:
Can “Dark and scary” be a tone? 'Cause that’s what I usually write, with a touch of humor.

Yup, it can :slight_smile:

Thanks ^-^

@authorhlumelo

What is the tone of your story? Humorous - but also emotional and self discovery.

Why is this the best tone for your story? Funny.

What was your protagonist’s biggest struggle in the opening 2000 words? I’ve four protagonists each with a different outlook and obstacles. The first 2k is mainly about Nash who’s a dyslexic roleplayer that gets a place on a prestigious writing course - by a glitch he suspects. He accepts for a break from the fifteen siblings he has to mind at home but feels guilty about it.

What is your protagonist’s biggest struggle going into the second half of your story?

Nash is falling for Ambassador Muffin who got him into trouble before and could again.

Is there a secondary character who represents your protagonist’s failure state and one who represents the positive outcome of their arc? If so, how? (One sentence for each character?)

Yes. Gareth has a stammer - the expressive equivalent of Nash’s written language disorder. (He also has no family).
Allegra is missing her family and wants to win to make them happy.

Nash breaks rules but trainee cop, Muffin follows them to the extent of sacrificing her own dreams.

Are you having fun? Why? :joy::joy::grinning::grinning: Yes. I love the banter and fun during Opennovella.

WPWR has some emotional themes but there’s also fun and it takes place in an opulent hotel. It’s also coming together quickly -whereas my last one took quite a while.

What is the most enjoyable aspect of your story? There’s quite a lot of unexpected twists and turns. Nothing is as it first appears. I’m not bound by any genre conventions with this one.

What’s been the most challenging aspect up until now?
Worrying that the judges will hate it. Also, I’m always anxious until I get 1k reads.

One passage of dialogue that exemplifies your protagonist. (Max three sentences. No description, just pure dialogue – let it speak for itself.)

*It explains why we got orange tickets.’ Nash grabbed the wine. 'They picked out Wattpad’s daft misfits to make the cheater look good by comparison.’

‘That’s wrong. I’ve over two hundred thousand followers and fifty million reads.’ Allegra took it back.

Nash had a point. Wattpad had astounding talent - but it just wasn’t at #writersretreat.

Other than yours, what’s your favourite ONC story so far? Why? (Three.)
[/quote]

It’s hard to pick three - as I’m reading and following so many but here goes.

The Delfe Treasure by @ZonderZorg

The Scarlet Armadillo by @WriterOnTheIsland

Bunker Bird by @RainerSalt

But I could list numerous more.

@authorhlumelo

• What is the tone of your story?
    Lighthearted formal.

• Why is this the best tone for your story?
    It is set in 1733 in a privileged British society with the two protagonists, Aldrick and Elizabeth, both being of noble birth. But, and this is a big but, they are both free-thinkers and somewhat rebellious.

• What was your protagonist’s biggest struggle in the opening 2000 words?
    To gain freedom from the chaperon and express themselves freely. (Yes, chaperon is the correct spelling for that time, and even today)

• What is your protagonist’s biggest struggle going into the second half of your story?
    The main struggle for them is environmental as they undertake a four-day carriage trip from London to Canterbury. Physically, they get on with no struggle. (Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, as Monty Python would have it)

• Is there a secondary character who represents your protagonist’s failure state and one who represents the positive outcome of their arc? If so, how? (One sentence for each character?)
    The negative is an unseen son of the man who had led a mutiny against Aldrick’s grandfather, and he seeks the treasure for himself, rather than for the families of the crew. The positive is the crew of Aldrick’s ship.

• Are you having fun? Why? (Two, baby. Go.)
    Oh, yes! This is a blast, I love historical fiction research, and after more than half a century of life at sea in all manner of vessel, and with four published nonfiction books on boating, this is my first venture into writing sailing as fiction.

• What is the most enjoyable aspect of your story?
    The relationship shared by Elizabeth and Aldrick and watching each grow.

• What’s been the most challenging aspect up until now?
    Keeping the story to novella length rather than 100K words.

• One passage of dialogue that exemplifies your protagonist. (Max three sentences. No description, just pure dialogue – let it speak for itself.)
    “I love the way these move, but I have thought you might use bindings to steady them beneath your shirt so as not to titillate others.”
    “And the bulge of your manhood down the leg of your breeches does not flop about and entice?”
    “That hangs there naturally.”
    “As do my breasts hang naturally from my chest. Shall we bind your foretail and sack?”

• Other than yours, what’s your favourite ONC story so far? Why? (Three.)
    Mary Fahey’s Wattpad’s Peculiar Writer’s Retreat, because it is so ridiculously funny and true the weird side to Wattpad rankings. baileygaines Dawn of Danger because it is a wonderfully-crafted 1950s-60s PI gumshoe tale. spicygf My Darling Clementine A well-crafted opening that draws the reader in.

HOLY COW! 15 siblings!!?

Oh, so that’s what this question is talking about. This is interesting. My secondary characters reflect the MC’s struggle too, now that I think about it.

Yup. I live in fear of that too. I outlined the plot and then shortened it over and over again because I’m afraid of exceeding the novella length.

She speaks like royalty. Beautiful.

@Ellen_Reese Nash is the eldest in a big blended family - with very indifferent parenting so he’s taken on a lot of responsibility too young.

The second question - I had their family backgrounds reflect what the other wants but doesn’t have. Muffin the fourth lead has a loving family but they expect her to be a cop like everyone else.

Their literary and personality strengths are also the other’s failings.

I think you need to do that or else, although there may be external conflicts ( in mine -who’s going to win the writing competition), you also need internal ones to make the character change over the story.

• What is the tone of your story?
    Dark and Scary with a bit of humor at first.

• Why is this the best tone for your story?
    Because it’s a psychological horror story full of suspense and set in a creepy old house and a creepy small town called Silent Hill.

• What was your protagonist’s biggest struggle in the opening 2000 words?
    There were 3 struggles, actually:

1. Angel, 15, got kicked out of the car by his big brother as punishment for annoying him.
  2. Then he hitchhiked with an old trucker who turned out to be a little insane when he grabbed him by the shirt and didn’t allow him to go to meet his family in an old house warning him about it.
  3. Angel entered the house. << That would be the biggest mistake of his life.
  • What is your protagonist’s biggest struggle going into the second half of your story?
    Oh, ho ho ho. Angel is going through hell… quite literally!
    He encountered manipulative shadows, rabid dogs, man-eating mannequins, and a barbed-face humanoid monster who locked him in a cage and used him as bait to catch new humans like his dad!

• Is there a secondary character who represents your protagonist’s failure state and one who represents the positive outcome of their arc? If so, how? (One sentence for each character?)

1. Angel’s little sister, Averel, 13, is lost in the town too and she’s also looking for her family members.
  2. Angel’s big brother, Axel, 21, is seen being a bit aggressive with Angel who in turns is aggressive when Averel. Typical behavior of abused children.
  • Are you having fun? Why? (Two, baby. Go.)
    OH MY GOODNESS!
    I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN BECAUSE I AM FULFILLING MY CRAVING OF WRITING A VERY GORY AND HORRIFIC (I like to call it gorrific) STORY!
    I also love to write frightened characters and make them go through hell. Yes, I’m a sadistic writer.

• What is the most enjoyable aspect of your story?
    The monsters :3
    I really enjoyed creating them. I am so proud of the shadows and the barbed-face monster. I am looking forward to introducing the wailing child and show how the dogs actually look like ;D

• What’s been the most challenging aspect up until now?
    Writing and planning a whole new story in less than 3 months! I am only 5 chapters through (8k words) and I think I need at least 12 chapters (20K words) to write in a month now.

• One passage of dialogue that exemplifies your protagonist. (Max three sentences. No description, just pure dialogue – let it speak for itself.)
    There aren’t a lot of dialogue going on. My story is very action-driven, but I’ll try:

1. “This is not real. This can’t be real. I’m losing my mind.”

2. “Lord, I’m weary. My energy is sagging, and my motivation is lagging. And I am so in need of you. I need your strength and your fresh touch. Because you are with me, I don’t have to be afraid. You are my light, brightening my path. You are my salvation, rescuing me from every enemy. I don’t have to live as a slave to my fears. When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. Amen.”

3. “NO! You’re not gonna leave me here. I can’t stay here all alone. I can’t—”

• Other than yours, what’s your favourite ONC story so far? Why? (Three.)
  1. Primal Fortune by @LadySapphire2018 - I love her characters so much. They’re cute, feisty, and funny :heart:
  2. Ripple Effect by @SallyMason1 - I only read the first chapter, but I am already invested in the plot. It’s a time-travel story, after all :wink:
  3. GG by @EvelynHail - It’s an Alice in Wonderland retelling. I love the way she made another version of Alice, a one that made much more sense :joy:

Ah, I suppose I’ll answer :blush:

What is the tone of your story?
I . . . don’t really know. Definitely prose heavy. Someone help :joy: I think the best description is a dark story told in a light tone.

Why is this the best tone for your story?
It felt the most natural to me.

What was your protagonist’s biggest struggle in the opening 2000 words?
Essa paints cards that kill and each is supposed to be unique, but there is one she can’t seem to stop painting.

What is your protagonist’s biggest struggle going into the second half of your story?
Oh, lawd . . . where to start. All the struggles. She struggles primarily with morality and the value of life. (Can’t put anymore due to spoilers.)

Is there a secondary character who represents your protagonist’s failure state and one who represents the positive outcome of their arc? If so, how?
Yes! But they haven’t been introduced yet. Every character reflects some aspect of her in some way.
Essa – She herself represents what another character could be if they could compartmentalize the way she does.
Jin – Ahh . . . spoilers. Jin is what Essa would be if she overthought more than she already does.
Alimaya – Ahh . . . more spoilers. Alimaya is what Essa would be if she wasn’t such a lazy money hoarder with questionable morals.
Marrax – Ahh . . . actually can’t say because it’s too big a spoiler. No, really.
??? – This character (not yet introduced) is a death writer who represents what Essa would be if she allowed her personal life and her business (selling cards to people to use to kill others) to mix.

Are you having fun? Why?
Yes. I love the story I’m writing! So. Much. Murder. :heart_eyes:. Also stressed. I’ve said it before, but my procrastination might have more will power than I do.

What is the most enjoyable aspect of your story?
The characters and the world building have been my favorite part thus far! Especially the relationship between Jin (secondary character) and another character who has not yet been introduced.

What’s been the most challenging aspect up until now?
So many things. I’d say my main troubles are my blatant lack of time management, choosing where I want to go with the story and choosing what I need to cut to meet the word limit.

One passage of dialogue that exemplifies your protagonist. This was surprisingly difficult. I don’t think I have proper dialogue that captures Essa yet, but this is close.

After a short silence, she said, “Meet me on the rooftop of the bank two roads down at midnight. Someone is going to die.”
Jin frowned. “How is that—”
“If you want your answers,” she cut him off, “then you need to know how this works. My cards are flawless and I need to know where yours went wrong if I am to fix the problem.” She met his gaze, fire in her eyes. "Problems are troublesome, and as you know, I dislike trouble. So the sooner we solve this, the sooner I can go back to my life.”

Other than yours, what’s your favourite ONC story so far? Why?
I haven’t had the chance to read very many yet because I haven’t had the time, but so far I am enjoying The Turing Test by @its_artemis_actually. I love the main character, which is very rare for me. I also really like the writing itself.

This is so relatable :sob: I don’t have any stories that have reached 1k reads yet, but to be honest, I am an anxious wreck about 95% of the time anyway.

^THIS

:joy::joy::joy: Same! Mine is not gory or horrific (well . . .), but I do enjoy putting my characters through hell, preferably of the psychological sort. It’s nice having someone or something slowly drive them insane, but it’s even better when they do it to themselves. My favorite thing to do is have them take every single thing they loathe about themselves and turn it inward so it eats away at them slowly until they no longer recognize who they’ve become.

Aw, thank you! :purple_heart:

Might as well answer too now haha

1. What is the tone of your story?
Creepy/tense — it has some lighter moments but I’m trying to keep this background of mistrust.

2. Why is this the best tone for your story?
It’s a psychological thriller.

3. What was your protagonist’s biggest struggle in the opening 2000 words?
I think there were two: An obvious physical struggle, in which a mob of angry protesters enclosed Ronnie (the MC) in their depths; and an inner struggle, because Ronnie suffers from a rather large emotional disconnect.

4. What is your protagonist’s biggest struggle going into the second half of your story?
Not knowing who to trust. And/or possibly getting kidnapped.

5. Is there a secondary character who represents your protagonist’s failure state and one who represents the positive outcome of their arc? If so, how? (One sentence for each character?)
Sven – He is controlling, obsessive, and the definition of manipulative; and Ronnie subconsciously fears him.
Davis – He sees this fear and pushes back against it.

6. Are you having fun? Why?
Hell yeah! This is my first attempt at a thriller-esque style, and without the ONC prompt, this idea would never have taken the direction it did!

7. What is the most enjoyable aspect of your story?
Writing what I know — a lot of Ronnie is, unashamedly, me :joy:

8. What’s been the most challenging aspect up until now?
Trying to tap into emotions without naming them. Because Ronnie doesn’t connect well with feelings, they are more of a physical sensation than something boiled down into one word.

9. One passage of dialogue that exemplifies your protagonist. (Max three sentences. No description, just pure dialogue – let it speak for itself.)
“Almost doesn’t count.”

10. Other than yours, what’s your favourite ONC story so far? Why?

• Card Painter by @ereehu — For the vivid imagery; everything comes to life on the pages. The mystery. And those cliffhangers, man….
  • The Delfe Treasure by @ZonderZorg — I have to admit that it’s my first foray into historical fiction on here, but I fell in love with Elizabeth and never looked back :slight_smile:
  • Dangerous Love by elveloy — I’ve only just read the first chapter, but I really like the scifi setting of the romance prompt (and let’s face it I’m a sucker for anything LGBT)

Thank you! :grimacing:

:smirk::smirk::smirk:

1. What is the tone of your story?
It’s complex, so it’s deliberately changing from assertive to confused and concerned
2. Why is this the best tone for your story?
It’s to show how my main character struggles to maintain his public image and what he really feels.
3. What was your protagonist’s biggest struggle in the opening 2000 words?
Subtly noticing that his love interest has changed during the time they didn’t see each others.
4. What is your protagonist’s biggest struggle going into the second half of your story?
Dealing with said changes and trying to hide his own true self.
5. Is there a secondary character who represents your protagonist’s failure state and one who represents the positive outcome of their arc? If so, how? (One sentence for each character?)
Not that I can think of.
6. Are you having fun? Why? (Two, baby. Go.)
YES. This thing was supposed to be a distraction from one of my more serious works which I got fed up, and it succeeded at that.
7. What is the most enjoyable aspect of your story?
It’s a simple love story, and sometimes a simple love story is all that is needed.
8. What’s been the most challenging aspect up until now?
Definitely not making it full length novel
9. One passage of dialogue that exemplifies your protagonist. (Max three sentences. No description, just pure dialogue – let it speak for itself.)
“So, are we good?” he asked then, still a bit worried.
“Yeah, were good,” I assured him, now smiling slightly.
10. Other than yours, what’s your favorite ONC story so far? Why? (Three.)
@DeliaMaguire6 Resolutions
@Olivaughn Candy Gram
@elveloy Dangerous love
And yes, I do love me some lgbt.

OmG. Me too. Haha :laughing:
Psychological stories are hard to accomplish but thry’re so much fun. You go, gurl :+1:

Wow. I know a lot of people who picks the card ptompt. It’s so interesting to see how different plots are based on this prompt.

Lol XD
I like you :3

YAAASSSSS :heart:

I love ending chapters with cliffhangers XD
Oh, God. Now I gotta check out your page.

1 - Tone: Wisecracks hiding a dark underbelly
2 - Why?: Because the ONC needs more lols. The protagonist buries trauma with humour and flippancy.
3 - Biggest struggle in the opening 2K? - Her own boredom
4 - Biggest struggle in 2nd half? - Controlling her anger
5 - 2ndry characters? - No. Seriously, Milo! You’re over-thinking this!
6 - Fun?: - you betcha backside. Writing Anna is as easy as pie, reading the ONC’s has been a mixed bag but a ‘learning experience’.
7 - Enjoyable aspect of your story? - I reference the Beatles a lot
8 - Most challenging? - working in the undercurrents of social, historical and political allegory
9 - Dialogue: “Just because it’s all been jolly japes and wisecracks up until now, that doesn’t mean this isn’t serious to me. Just because I drop names like hot biscuits and tell diverting stories about famous people, doesn’t mean I’m immune. Would you rather I give long speeches about my backstory, my pain, about what Harvington stands for or some crap like that? No, Let’s just get on with it. There’s no shame in trying to have a little fun while you save the world.”
10: @IvorRichards - Beast
@Di_Rossi - Gifts from the Sky Goddess
@LittleBird317 - Floating City

Thanks, sweetie