Open Novella Contest III - Which Romance Prompt?

I was curious to see who is writing something new for ONCIII and which prompt inspired you? If you feel comfortable sharing your spin on it, that would be great too.

Personally, I’m using #66 GameSetMatch.

My MC is a high school literature teacher. She joined the app at the prompting of her cousin (who is also a colleague). The ex who she is going to be matched with broke up with her on the day they graduated from college, because he comes from a wealthy family and she doesn’t. I’m going to explore the idea of what makes us equals in a relationship. There will also be a secondary love interest in another teacher at her school. I titled it “All” because I’m playing off the tennis vibe of the app name, and “all” in tennis is when the score is equal.

5 Likes

Mine I think is 67. I wasn’t going to do it because I had four more novellas going on, but I saw the one about a New Years kiss and I was too inspired not to go for it.

It’s about a woman who ends up in the beer garden of the bar they went to for New Year’s Eve to get away from the crowds inside and ends up hanging out with her brother’s best friend, who is also her sister’s ex-fiancé. They end up sharing the midnight kiss and that takes them down a path of passion and betrayal.

5 Likes

Yeah I have works in progress, works in editing phase, etc. but the prompt spoke to me and I’m having fun with it.

2 Likes

I am using 67 as well (and 68).

The inspiration behind my story came from something that happened to me.

I went to a Roaring 20’s themed swing dance in Chicago. There was this girl from Houston there. We kissed each other at midnight. It was magical, but alas, two days later, she went back to Texas and I am stuck here in icy Illinois without her.

3 Likes

Well, I’m stuck in icy northern wisconsin, so I’ve got it worse weather wise. If it helps, when I checked Texas temperature yesterday, it was surprisingly cold, not that helps much with your magical kiss flying back to the other side of the country.

2 Likes

Sounds like it will make a lovely, heart wrenching story.

2 Likes

#65 for me.

2 Likes

Ahhh fair Aphrodite will be playing with your MC’s heart :heart_eyes:

1 Like

In a sense. I’m using the goddess as more of a fugitive figure.

2 Likes

I’m writing a Dark Romance inspired by Prompt #68.

The story is set in Greece where Elleri is holidaying for her best friends Bachelorette party when she meets the mysterious, yet intriguing Emmett, when he steps in to defend her from another’s insistent advances at a night club. Despite the intrigue and attraction that Elleri feels, her eyes are quickly opened to the darkness that lurks (in the form of slavery and sex-trafficking) and the battle that Emmett is fighting to put an end to this darkness. The story brings into question Elleri’s morals, and how far she’s willing to go in this fight for justice.

It’s quite different from stories that I’ve written in the past, but it’s been an exciting challenge so far exploring the concept of unsolved crimes, morally grey characters, and the fight for freedom and justice for those who are exploited, with of course a dash of romance.

4 Likes

I love this idea and focus behind the story! And ‘All’ is a great title too! I’ll for sure have to check this one out :blush: I also just saw that Jane Eyre is your favorite book too! :heart_eyes:

Ooh, it sounds like there is going to be a lot of drama in this one, especially seeing as it’s sparked by a New Year’s kiss :grin:

I love that you’re drawing inspiration from your own experiences to craft your novella. I’m sure it’s going to be a great story!

5 Likes

This sounds interesting! Does your MC stay a long time in Greece? Does it all happen while she’s on holiday?

“Jane Eyre” is my favorite :heart_eyes: And made its way into “All”

3 Likes

She ends up extending her holiday when suspicions begin to arise around Emmett’s behavior/involvement in a recent crime. She’s a bit of a nosey one, and ends up digging a little too deep into his past and ends up confronting him about the information she finds. The story (apart from the ending) takes place over about a month.

That’s so cool. Jane Eyre is my all time favorite story too! I love that it features in All :heart_eyes: I’ll have to keep an eye out for the reference!

3 Likes

Can I say that I loved that first chapter and I’m really looking forward to reading more! :heart:

I’m doing a loose retelling of Hades and Persephone, using prompt #5: “We regret to inform you that you have been engaged. We wish you the best of luck with your new spouse.”

I know the prompt isn’t part of the Romance prompts, but I’m turning it into a contemporary romance, which is something I’ve never written before, so I’m equally scared and excited about it. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

I’m also doing prompt 66! It’s so cool to see that different types is stories can come from the same prompt. Your take on it seems quite interesting and has the potential for a lot of heartfelt moments especially with the introduction of a second love interest.

4 Likes

Aw, thank you so much! I’m so glad people have been enjoying the first chapter! Chapter 2 is finally finished and will hopefully be posted tonight, if editing goes to plan :heart:

I know I keep saying this, but I’m so excited about this one! :heart_eyes: i love that you’re stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something new for you!

3 Likes

I am using #4 - but I am not writing a romance. I am finishing a book that fit into the prompt perfectly, and has given me a push to get it done. Even if I don’t end up going forward, or am not picked, it broke the writer’s block on it and for that I am thankful!

6 Likes

My mind had been musing with a Pride and Prejudice idea for a few months, so when I saw Prompt 70, I knew I had to enter the ONC :heart:

5 Likes

Mine is for #70, the person in a possession of a good fortune is in a want of a person to marry.

3 Likes

Carmen’s Voice uses prompt # 70 (Pride and Prejudice one others have mentioned), Match Made is a sort-of romance but it uses prompt # 5 (we regret to inform you that you have been engaged), and Costly Touch uses prompt #62 (public display of affection is forbidden; one day they slip up and hold hands).

I flip back and forth all the time on which is my favourite, but right now I’m in love with Match Made most of all. I’m enjoying writing their awkward attempts to be married and to work together and I’m looking forward to what will happen next.

2 Likes