Opinions on Dreame?

i see ── . · ☆

so basically publishing it traditionally will mean i’ll just earn the same amount as if i signed for dreame?

i don’t see why anyone writes then, if i could simply clean the toilets for more than the money and half the time. :worried:

apologies for my lack of knowledge on traditional publishing area, but if traditional publishers also only pay about 100 dollars as said above and also won’t give any money afterwards, then i really feel bad for authors :worried:. i never considered getting big with my writing, etc, so never looked into it, sorry!

In traditional publishing, you’re paid royalties – a percentage of net sales. In a paperback, that may be 8%. Digital is more like 25%.

Note I said NET. So you don’t just get 8% of cover price. You get 8% of what they sold it for MINUS expenses. Did they give the bookstore a 40% discount? Guess what happens to your royalty. Oh, did they have “expenses”? Guess what happens to your royalty. And don’t EVEN mention returns! Traditional publishing accounting is anything but transparent!

Larger imprints pay an advance – literally an “advance on royalties.” They estimate what they think you’re going to earn on royalties, and they pay it up front. These days the average advance is generally $5000-10,000.

What? That sounds like a lot! Yes, sort of, but you don’t get it all at once. It’s generally broken into three payments: on signing the contract, on acceptance of the final manuscript, and on publication. Those phases could be a year apart!!

$5000 / 3 = $1,666

Did you have an agent help you get this deal? Knock 15% off of each of those payments. Now you’re down to $1,416.

You won’t earn more on that book until the accounting I described earlier says you’ve earned more than the advance you were paid. The vast majority of books do not earn out their advance, so the advance is all the writer ever sees on that book.

If you have multiple books, you may have some payments overlapping, but seriously – that’s nowhere near a living wage or minimum wage. Also, traditional publishing doesn’t want writers publishing multiple books a year. Their standard in one book per year, and if you sign a crappy contract, their contract will prevent you from publishing anything else, even in other genres, even through self publishing.

i see, that’s fair. ── . · ☆

but isn’t that a lot better than dreame already? you spend 30 or 45 hours on a book, maybe 50 more revising, editing, sorting this and that out and get a thousand out of it instead of a hundred.

perhaps that could be saying that you can’t self sustain over one book that took 45 hours to write, but i still think it’s higher than minimum wage. however, i am profusely apologetic if i misunderstood; i have never considered writing as a steady career path to pursue and do not know much about the industry or its numbers.

You don’t spend 50 hours on a traditionally published book. By the time it’s written to a professional standard and you’ve gone through all their rounds of edits, you’ll put in HUNDREDS of hours on every book.

Yes, that money is better than Dreame. Pretty much everything pays better than Dreame. But it’s not minimum wage or even close.

i’m not sure ── . · ☆

yes, the amount you get – a thousand or a bit more per year – isn’t a lot in comparison to another job’s annual income, i would agree. but for me i would definitely prefer traditional publishing over it.

the career path i am pursuing requires up to 60 hours of work a week, if not more. where i come from, people tend to be workaholics and every minute costs hundreds. and from what i can decipher from your posts, i can only agree that, yes, one published book is insufficient to sustain one for a year with only that sum, but i feel comparing annual wages isn’t a fair mechanism as most industries require almost 3000 hours a year of work.

so yes, perhaps traditional publishing isn’t a fantastic route either, but definitely a million times more preferable than dreame – but either one would be able to sustain a person’s livelihood and wellness completely.

thanks for explaining this to me, by the way, i learnt a lot about traditional publishing that i never knew about.

Well, it’s not fair but if you’re trying to make a living, it’s realistic.

I have bills to pay. Traditionally publishing isn’t likely to pay those bills. So I work a job that does whether I want to or not.

It pays the bills for VERY few writers, even NYT best sellers and people with long-established, multi-book series. Well, it might, but it depends on the lifestyle you want. Are you a recent college grad? Might cover it. Are you established with a mortgage, a spouse, two kids, and expectations of vacations and future college bills? Not so much.

i agree with that! ── . · ☆

what i meant originally was that dreame would not sustain at all and i would rather work in McDonald’s. but then again, i really didn’t expect writers to earn like, a couple thousand a month or something. the amount of work other industries put in is a lot more in quantity (as i stated, 60 hours a week, almost 3000 a year) whereas it’s only a couple hundred for a book. however i feel this has sidetracked a lot as this only reinforces the idea that dreame, giving a one off sum of 100 dollars, is not a good deal.

in terms of the scope, i never compared dreame to something that can sustain. not because it was so bad that i couldn’t, but because the scope is too small. one under minimum wage earns a few thousand a month for working 8 hours a day or even more.

i don’t expect it to sustain a life under only hundreds of hours of work. i expect it to sustain a life if i spend hundreds of hours of work every month on it. hence i didn’t consider that.

thanks for explaining it to me, by the way. i truly did not know about the transparency of profits and earnings at all.

It does beg the question, if trad publishing with respect to how it accounts for money isn’t transparent, how is one to know they aren’t being fleeced? Sure I know there is a royalty statement that comes around once every whenever but just like that chuck guy was robbed it can happen to anyone if during the accounting process you don’t get a clear breakdown of the process when it concerns you. I’m no expert though.

What assurances do authors have that every number on those statements are gospel? I’m not saying they are not trust worthy but it’s only ethical to for me to know the money flow concerning me.

Could you imagine.

Me: Um why is $100 missing from my account?

Bank: Maintainance fee

Me: Maintainance? Can I have a breakdown of that?

Bank: Im sorry, we’re not permitted to divulge confidential information.

Me: but this is my money

Bank: …

I wouldn’t trust them personally - I’ve heard they’re legitimate but their contracts + fishing off Wattpad seems really fishy pun unintended

A Wattpader (@VioletSun5) did a breakdown of the contract here https://www.wattpad.com/653801623-violet-reviews-things-psa-dreame - it’s quite shocking when you look at it that way D:

thanks for sharing, these folks literally want to keep your work for life with a 5 year auto renewal not to mention a cesspit of bad clauses.

More and more authors here are getting poached. Just this month I tried to help an author poached by dreame but they blew me off and signed the contract because they thought I’m trying to block their success. Now they have multiple books owned by dreame. Good luck with that.

I highly doubt Dreame aka ficfun will ever let go of people’s content.

Bless Violet for posting that. I was considering playing along just so I could see the contract for myself. Now I don’t have to LOL

You get a detailed statement, and legally (?) contractually (?) (can’t remember which) you are entitled to have their books audited.

Reputable agents actually spend a great deal of time auditing royalty statements and making sure everything matches up. Of course, you have to have an agent who isn’t scamming you! (Chuck was scammed by his agent, not his publisher.) First rule of thumb there: Separate checks. Ensure it’s in the contract that the publisher writes a check to each of you, rather than sending the whole thing to your agent to disburse.

Can fraud happen? You bet it can. Is it common? Honestly, I doubt it’s rampant. But it’s not the easiest, most transparent system, and yes, there can be abuse.

Ah I was a little alarmed when you said it wasn’t transparent so I asked the question. This is more along the lines I hoped for and funny enough the bank example is a real thing at least in my neck of the woods.

Avoid Dreame. They are a bit of a scam. I’ve talked to other writers, and the word is they take your work and give you pennies in return. Apparently, they are well-known for ripping writers off. I did have some suggestions from other writers who recommend. Qwerty Thoughts. It sounds kind of like Amazon, but without all the crazy costs. I’m not 100% sure, but at least you keep ALL the rights to your material.

Agreed. They reached out and offered to publish one of my completed stories. I politely declined after reading their ToS.

These platforms are great, but I hope writers actually read the ToS, especially the younger writers out there.

I fear they don’t. And a lot of creators don’t know what they’re worth either. :confused: