ORIGINAL CHARACTER ARENA (ORCA)
Hello and welcome to ORCA!
As the name suggests this is something known as a Battle Thread where your characters will be pitted against one another in… would I get copyrighted for saying mortal combat? Anywho, the way this works is you, the writer submits an original character with details on how they work and we’ll pit them against another hopefully equally matched opponent. OR you can challenge another player that just so happens to be in the round.
The winner will be decided by a thorough analysis of the two participants after going over them, but also by listening to the debates held by the creators. After all, no one knows the characters more than the one who made them!
You’ll do this by engaging in a debate with whomsoever you’re paired with (or challenge). The pair of you will go over the scenarios yourselves in order to give the best idea as to how you believe the battle will go. HOWEVER, remember that the Host will be the one to decide the outcome. UNLESS the Host is a participant at which point the decision will be left to another.
What that means is that the Host, or the person leading the round and inevitably writing out the contest, will be the one who ultimately decides the victor. Please do try to respect the Host’s decision as they will no doubt try to be as fair as possible when they reveal the result. You may challenge the result of course though keep in mind if the challenge doesn’t result in a change in winners it must be respected.
As for our set up here… It’s a work in progress, Jay your first Host, is still working out the kinks of this thread and the first (and likely only) round will likely not be quite as fluid as it should be.
Purpose of ORCA
The reason I’m starting this thread is really quite simple. I was bored and wanted a chance to flex my writing muscles by giving a shot at writing someone else’s characters. I want this thread to achieve three things:
1) Writers to build a deeper connection to their characters.
2) For others to have the chance to improve their own writing skills.
3) And for people in similar genre’s to make some new friends.
In short, I just want to have fun in a way that hopefully you’ll be able to enjoy. I don’t claim to be the best writer I’m sure my grammar and punctuation has made at least one of you cringe so far. That’s not the point though. I just want something to keep me occupied really. If this works out awesome! If not well I gave it the good old college try.
Suppose I should get on with the rules and mechanics huh?
Well first off you as the writer will need a way to submit your characters. For that I recommend using a Google Doc as it’s just easier for both the Host and your opponent to access. As for what you’ll be putting on that Google Doc I suggest the template that will be provided after the intro that I totally didn’t steal from anyone… If you’ve been in a Battle Thread before I’m sure you know what to do, the template is really only here for beginners. We all have our own ways of doing things after all and I’d rather not tell people that one way is the ONLY way.
With that being said I hope you all enjoy your time here with ORCA. I mean that with the utmost sincerity because in truth I don’t intend for this to be around for very long. As I said I’m doing this out of boredom, however if it catches on we’ll see how it goes…
As for the actual style of the match-ups:
• As stated above the players will all engage in debates over their character’s abilities and plead their case to the Host as to why they believe their character will win.
• When a Winner is decided they will move on to the “Winners bracket” while the “Loser” will go on to a second bracket. From there each bracket will engage in two separate but very much connected activities.
• Type of play style is player selected. We have either a Boss System where the winners and losers of the battle rounds will likely work together to defeat a big bad boss. Or a Tournament round where you’ll all duke it out to decide a “Grand Champion of ORCA.”
• Boss System will see the “losers” help but not be directly involved in the final battle unless good reasons are given. (Pro being there’ll be a story, Con significantly less screen time for all.)
• Tournament will be double elimination, meaning you can only lose once. If you lose twice you’re out of the tournament but not entirely out of the round. (Pro being longer play time, Con being almost no story)
• In the final part of the round all “losers” will indeed have a large contribution to the end regardless of the selected route.
• Lastly in both forms of the round, each player will be awarded ORCA Coins. The coins can be used to bet on results of the battles going on, however, they are completely superficial and have nothing to do with game play. It just offers some incentive to read all the forms and it’s a nice way to interact with people.
Previous ORCA Round (Incompleted due to Scheduling Conflicts): Original Character Arena OR.C.A.
Our Current Round is a Tournament style round. See description here: (No Round Chosen Yet)
Our current roster of players can be found right here: (No Players Yet)
Our unofficial chat thread can be found here: (Not done yet)