Over 35? Come sit at the adult's table.

Hey folks. I’m a 50-year-old writer writing for adults. Needless to say, I often feel old on WattPad. Heck, my college-age kids are older than 60-70% of the writers here.

So I’m just looking for other adults with grown-up responsibilities to hang with. Especially if you’re also writing for adults. Which is a different animal than writing YA fiction.

Basic Rules of Decorum.

• Treat people with respect.
  • No racism, homophobia or other such propaganda, please. Which sort of goes back to the first point.
  • No advertising books.
  • No divisive politics.
  • No evangelizing other readers to your religious position… and New Atheists, that means you too!

Just good, interesting talk about writing and reading.

PS. That “over 35” is pretty fluid. I’m just looking for a cutoff that’ll keep out the kids. And I cannot post for “adult writers.” because that would sound like I’m looking for writers of erotica, which I’m not. Since I write literary, magical realist fiction.

13 Likes
Friends. Are there persons who are at least 30 years of age?????
I don’t think I belong here- LOL
Any older users out there?? Ages 35+ writers and readers...

Hey Leo,

I’m 39 and I know how you feel man.

I got started on this Wattpad thing because a friend of mine suggested it.

I’ve run into the same problem you have. I’m older than everyone here and my writing doesn’t grab the YA crowd. I don’t know if it’s because I’m almost 40 or because all the main characters in my stories are in their 60’s.

3 Likes

Hi there young man! I rolled over 35 way back yonder, and post work here. My stuff is basically SF & Fantasy. I put up novels, novellas and short stories. Run a critique work group elsewhere.

1 Like
New friends old enemies unite and destroy!

Welcome. I’s also here because a friend in my IRL writer’s group suggested it as a place to store your works in progress. She wrote humorous YA vampire stories, sort of a spoof, but she stopped posting. But I’m still here, off and on.

Re: writing. My characters vary in age.

• The big novel I’m working on is not YA, but the MC starts out aged 15 or 16 and is 24 at the end of his story-line.
  • I have another complete urban fantasy novella here w/ a 66-year-old ironworker and union steward as MC.
  • And for NaNoWriMo, I’m working on a short novel where the MC is a 39-year-old musician fallen on hard times due to heroin. It’s also an urban fantasy, but darker than the other since he’s being hunted by a creepy dealer he owes money to… who may or may-not be a demon, and may or may-not be able to create and control Voodo-style zombies (which are way different than the Walking Dead variety).
3 Likes
How do you find and mark books for older adult readers?

Welcome. I write mostly urban fantasy, but it’s more magical realism than straight-up fantasy. And I love SF.

Is your critique groups here, on WattPad?

1 Like

I’m not sure I could write YA if I tried. I’ll just stick with writing short stories, thank you.

3 Likes

I’m going to try writing YA one day. Heck. I read Harry Potter. Watership Down, The Once and Future King, and Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book and Coraline to my kids. So I know my way around YA.

But every time I’ve tried thus far, it comes up “for grownups.” Not sure why.

1 Like

Everybody has a natural ‘voice’ and a natural way of thinking. Some people’s voices are just better suited to certain genres than others.

I think.

I know that in the past I’ve tried to write romance and erotica, but I just end up in fits of giggles. Just because I can read something is no guarantee that I can do more than a bad pastiche.

It probably doesn’t help that I used to read to my daughter from ‘The Cyberiad’.

6 Likes

No elsewhere. Wattpad doesn’t offer the facilities for up/ download required to properly deal with manuscripts, or keep work in progress out of public view.

1 Like

I’m also over 50. Sometimes on some of these threads, I have to remind myself not to call the juveniles “children” though I did call one childish recently, lol.

I’ve written a few different genres and types. I’m currently working on my werewolf series. Stuck on a death scene, where things get complicated. Not easy to write so everything is clear to the reader, especially when it’s too many characters involved.

3 Likes

LOL. I know I can write a loving relationship. Plus lust. Based on life experience.

But I’d be hard-pressed to write a genre romance. Like you; I’d probably get giggles. Though I could maybe write it as a spoof.

I think you may be correct about a natural voice. I can only write for adults. Even when I’m writing light, pulpy stuff it;s more sophisticated than X-Box.

I trace my voice to my formative years, when my favorite writer was Stephen King, a character-centric writer. And Agatha Christie, whose work was more psychological than gorey. Plus I loved John Steinbeck, which I read because my mother had all his books, And I’ve loved James Joyce and William Faulkner since I first read them in high school lit class. So when I started writing with those as role models.

Needless to say, that doesn’t translate to YA or romance. Or epic fantasy or science fiction (though I’ve always read and like fantasy and science fiction).

Which begs the question: Do I write the way I do because of my influences, or did I chose my influences because of my natural voice?

2 Likes

I’m 41 with two kids.

I have a bunch of different works in progress.

2 YA - one is a Bildungsroman and the other is set in the 1990s and plays with some tropes

1 is a New Adult Romance - influenced by Samuel Beckett and Shakespeare’s Cymbeline.

1 General Fiction character study piece.

Some poetry.

Offline I have a kids’ illustrated book and an elementary aged series that I’m working on.

Overall I prefer to write contemporary realism. Reading wise I am a bit of a genre binge reader. I’ll go through an intense phase of reading horror, then fantasy, then classics, or historical fiction, etc.

2 Likes

Multijoys said “Not easy to write so everything is clear to the reader, especially when it’s too many characters involved.”

Heck. for me it’s often not easy to write so everything is clear with a single character sitting alone in a room… :blush:

Writing fiction well takes more work than it seems. So many moving parts. I find it the most difficult thing I’ve ever done. And after all the complex projects and quality (I’m a Lean/ Six-Sigma blackbet) and supply-chain initiatives I’ve led or participated in at work, that’s saying something.

1 Like

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a very diverse portfolio. And while I’m no one-trick pony, you seem to run the gamut.

Question: Does that diversity come natural to you? This sort of fits in with our discussion of a writer’s “natural voice.”

1 Like

I’ve done the gambit too. For me, I think it’s because I read so much as a kid. Heck, my elementary school went k-8, and by 8th grade I was going shelf by shelf for stuff I hadn’t read. Found Little Women and Justin Morgan had a Horse that way. Also found a volume set that looked like encyclopedias but was actually short stories. I keep telling myself if I ever make it back that way, I’d see if they’re still there and offer to buy them.

1 Like

My stuff isn’t that diverse in that they are pretty much all contemporary realism (the 90s are still contemporary to me :joy:) and that comes most naturally to me. Writing high fantasy or sci-fi would really be a struggle for me. And historical fiction would require so much research. I fall down the rabbit hole of research enough with just contemporary stories.

So instead I try to stretch my mental muscles in different ways within genres that suit contemporary realism, and by playing with pov and tense.

So one story is 3rd person past tense, while another is first person present tense, and then the next is first person but past tense written in a journalistic style, another shifts between two first person povs…

I do things that keep me interested. So for example with “Romance” I thought of how it’s funny that it’s read when an Happily Ever After (HEA) or a Happy For Now (HFN) is expected at the end. It struck me as slightly absurd that we read even though we know the ending essentially.

So that got me thinking of the master of Absurdist Literature - Samuel Beckett - who was an oddly romantic man and whose poem “Cascando” is so beautiful.

So then I set out to write a story with the idea of the end in mind. And since Beckett wrote in French, naturally I needed to name the male love interest FIN :blush: And he had to be an actor who was starring in a production of Endgame. And of course Beckett always has the most wonderful co-dependent pairs or “companions in the muck.” And what better muck than the entertainment industry?

As you can see, my brain just won’t let me write a “Romance” the way most people imagine it to be.

1 Like

First off, I love Beckett. I dig Malloy, Malone Dies , and The Iceman Coenth. But I’ve gotta say, you are the FIRST person I’ve ever heard refer to his stark, uncompromising, unsentimental fiction as Romantic.

Note I’m using Capital-R romantic, referring to the Romantic movement, not the genre. Which I assume you are as well.

I’ve always seen him as a high-modernist bridging into postmodernism. And with a pitiless, cold outlook on human nature. But I suppose I could be missing something.

2 Likes

“The Iceman Cometh” is Eugene O’Neill

As for Beckett - the man himself was quite a bit of a romantic, which you can see in his personal letters if you’ve ever read them.

And I daresay there is a romanticism in his work as well.

Romantics placed an emphasis on emotion, especially on intense experiences such as apprehension, horror and terror, and on individualism, as well as glorification of the past.

Pieces such as “Not I” and “Krapp’s Last Tape” are so keenly focused on the individual character and all of the intense emotions (much of which are apprehension, and horror) they feel while they muse about the past events of their life. So while it’s not exactly a “glorification of the past” in a grander sense, there is something of the sort that occurs when we reminisce about our own personal history.

1 Like

Also this is Cascando the Beckett poem that was part of my inspiration.

IMG_4100

2 Likes

My bad. I meant Waiting for Godot. Got a mental-wire crossed. Senior moment (though I’m a long way from being a senior proper, those moments are already happening more frequently…)

3 Likes