Over 35? Come sit at the adult's table.

Cool. But I could care less about those sorts of origins. I’d appreciate your sticking to appreciating the culture in India TODAY, and not some mythic past.

Not because it’s not important, but this sort of worldview has been distorted by white supremacists. And while odds are you aren’t one, I don;t want to get into an anthropological or political debate here.

No worries. We don;t card. welcome aboard. That “over 35” is just to keep the kiddies out.

Yeah. It’s just something weird that foes on in the US for some reason. I keep thinking it’s run its course, but it hasn’t.

That said, my sister just finished her PhD, and her husband took her to Ireland for 3 weeks this spring. She loved it. They did Wexford, Kilkenny and Mayo – where my Irish ancestors are from . And then did the James Joyce crawl through Dublin (though they were a week late for Bloomsday, an oversight she’s kicking herself for).

She snapped some awesome photos. Graigy cliffs. Lush boggy loam all emerald green. Jagged fjords. And the roads with sheep on them… amazing. But most of all, she had tales. Old codgers. They rented a place from an old pagan couple that explained a ton about the Druids and the old-ways in some country village or other. And they loved the folks in pubs, who were super friendly. And she loved the “take-away” or “take-out” food that she thought was like 10 times better than American fast food.

She made me jealous. When I retire, I’m going. For sure.

If/when you do that, don’t neglect the north. Going clockwise from the Foyle, you have Derry/Londonderry, the Bushmills distillery, the Giant’s Causeway, the Glens Of Antrim, Belfast, Mountstewart and Armagh.

Yes, we’ve had our troubles. Just avoid the place during July, unless you want to experience Orangefest!

Bushmills, schmushmills. Give me Jameson… :slight_smile:

That said, I plan to go visit where my family;s from first, and then Dublin and Belfast due to history. Then over to the UK, especially Liverpool (for my Beatles fix) and London (for all the history).

Well, unless Brexit makes things to complicated then it’ll be just the South, sad to say.

Then I’d be off to Germany (Hamburg and Munich) to see where my mother’s family came from, and taking Eurail to Paris and then the south of France. I’d like to finish in Rome.

Now, that’s just a dream right now. Odds are, sending our kids through college and then paying for my daughter’s (probable) wedding will leave me in the poorhouse… ::slight_smile:

Don’t try to take the street sign on Penny Lane. So many people did that the council removed it and painted the name on the wall instead. But there is more to Liverpool than the Beatles. I lived there for almost 10 years, and still have friends there.

I love Mayo, especially the far-flung coastal parts such as Achill Island. My mother’s people came from Kerry and Galway, and had to leave during the Hunger and the Civil War. I was there a few years ago and loved it. If I had the chance, I’d go and stay on the Dingle. I’ve a friend, an English painter of seascapes and a musician, who would take me in for a while.

I did not mean to offend you. He is interested in the origin of Slavic peoples whose ancestors were Arias. The fact about the similarity in a language or rather words is rather an interesting topic, especially since Poland and India are really far away from each other. I have read part of the Mahabrata, I have read about the worship of Kali, Vimana, the State of Rama and many other texts. I respect your culture. Temples, especially those made of stone, are something not self-made.

I try to get to where from and how the Ari are. Is what writers and historians, researchers and historians write and say, and whether what the legends say is true or just a fairy tale.

LOL. I’m middle aged, so my days of swiping signs is long past. Like as not, I’ll buy a Penny Lane street sign and tell my neighbors I stole it… :slight_smile:

No offense taken. In fact, I assumed your comment was innocent. I’m just gun-shy of online discussions turing ugly when politics gets involved. I’ve seen it happen often. All it takes is one person and WHAM!

My father’s family came to Canada during the famine too. His grandfather fished cod in Nova Scotia until some treaty or other restricted Canadian access to fisheries off the US coast. So he got laid off and came (illegally) to fish the Great Lakes. Which I guess were a super-productive fishery circa 1900.

Interesting. My mother’s people were Irish and Danish, mostly fishers, cargo haulers, and ferrymen. My father’s people were NZ Mäori who lived on the coasts of South Island. So I come from seafarers on both sides.

I’d rather be sailing than almost anything else. Except maybe surfing. I also do a lot of whitewater boating. But living in Wyoming, in the 'States, where the water’s frozen half the year, I’ve lost my edge.

Yeah, Wyoming isn’t exactly seafaring country.

Irony is that I enjoy fishing, but mostly in rivers. II learned the love of fishing from my father on a boat. I imagine that goes back to his father and grandfather and back to folks fishing Cod in the Irish Sea.

But boats don’t appeal to me. Now I do like 99% of my fishing in waders on rivers. Or surf-casting for surf perch when I lived in CA. I used to own a boat, but used it for water-skiing and taking the family to the beach or to see fireworks etc. I almost never fished off of it.

Who knows why. I got the “fishing gene,” but the “nautical gene” left me behind.

I rebuilt a ratty wood skiff for sailing on nearby lakes and reservoirs.

She looks nice, now, and sails like a witch: fast and tender.

I grew up off Lake Erie, and have since moved to Georgia. I miss the smell of water sometimes.

I miss the smell of the sea, like no other thing. I spent a feral childhood on the shores and cliffs of Whakaraupo (Bay of Reeds) on South Island NZ, with that oceanic tang always filling my breath.

When we moved to Grafton in Auckland, a half-hour’s walk from the Waitemata Harbour, I felt like I was stuck far inland.

Here, in Wyoming, the water doesn’t have much smell. Particularly when it’s frozen.

I understand you. I hope that something like that did not happen soon. Personally, I am counting on getting to know the history from someone “negligee” than just from books

Small world. I grew up half a block from Lake Erie in Cleveland (east side, near Saint Joes and Villa Angela if that means anything to you). Purchased my first home in Euclid, with my rear doors facing Lake Erie after college. And then lived two blocks from Lake Michigan when we lived in Chicago. And we lived about half a mile from Malibu Beach the last three years we lived in LA…

I live in a smaller, land-locked city in the upper Midwest now (no details… I’ve been almost doxxed once and try to keep details about my life sort of hidden). But I live on a large inland reservoir. Yet once again within walking or biking distance to a beach.

So I know what you mean. I love living near water. It smells fresh. I think it’s the ions. When I live landlocked (like I did in Pittsburgh and Columbus), I feel boxed in.

Forgive my ignorance about sailing, but is it a good thing or a bad thing to “sail like a witch?”

Seeing how my username is “BridgesTunnels” my entire life has been spent near water -crossing over or under it was a daily occurrence for many, many years.

Foghorns are a familiar lullaby to me.