Patreon Help?

Hi! I was thinking about running a Patreon with benefits as I get a more established readership. Is there anyone on Wattpad who actively uses Patreon to supplement their writing? Did you wait until you had a well established readership? What sort of benefits do you offer or what would you like to see from an author?

I don’t have patreon but you can see ancientt 's patreon for that

• She already had a huge readership before the patreon
  • She gives advanced updated on the page
  • Exclusive content
  • Discord and stuff…
    https://www.patreon.com/ancientt
1 Like

Thank you! this gives me some really good ideas! I’m still in the (very) early stages of my Wattpad career but I can’t help but do marketing research as early as possible so I can plan.

1 Like

I see nothing wrong with starting one early on and building your audience with it! A lot of serial authors offer things like:

• Bonus content — alternative POVs, short stories
  • Early Access — as chapters are available or a set time before it goes live for free
2 Likes

Maybe try inkitt’s readers royalty program

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I’m hoping to get a really solid list of tier benefits, once I do I’ll launch it. ^^ Probably within the next couple of weeks as I’m going to launch a novel tomorrow and be doing weekly Friday updates for that one.

I’ll look into that! I actually haven’t heard of that website before. :3

1 Like

It offers readers content for free but when they read your story or download app using your link…you get money…

1 Like

Ooh! Okay awesome! I’ll check it out. :3

1 Like

I’d be careful of Inkitt, they’ve been known to have predatory contracts. Definitely do your research first.

1 Like

I will definitely do very thorough research. ^^ Wattpad has been my favorite because of it’s setup and copyright details.

1 Like

I am not part of inkitt but be sure to read the contract…wattpad has some weird contracts too but it is when you take part in wattys or paid program…then there is radish…

1 Like

I have a very small Patreon following. I am extremely grateful for the bucks I receive. Most of my royalties come from articles on the web and some books.

Some of my articles have been earning $40 or $50 per months for 7 or 8 years. So they have been very profitable. You need a knowledge of SEO in order to do that, and I would heartedly advocate that every writer learns SEO.

Radish? My least favorite vegetable? Yeah. I’m really thorough about that kind of thing cause I’m so protective of my babies

1 Like

Every social media you participate in has a form of a contract, which is the Terms of Service. So while programs have additional, optional contracts, we have all agreed to the Terms of Service.

It’s good to look at the terms of service of free websites and understand what rights you’re giving up when you sign up and upload content.

I agree @careforastory, Wattpad has been really great with their copyright language!

2 Likes

I like wattpad tooo… I am pointing out the fact that many writers just skip the legal stuff part in the wattys book…So be careful about every contract.

1 Like

I absolutely agree! It’s always good to know what can happen to your work. It’s why the terms of service is so important to read for any site! Agreed!

1 Like

Yeah like I seriously go through the legal stuff two time…just to be sure and clear…where as I have seen people on forums who never read that part and then say…I DIDN’T KNOW THAT! It is annoying…some lost souls don’t even know that the work has to be wattpad exclusive…mostly the early teens…