Pick a song for your MC!

Hi there! I’m looking for some cool new music, and I thought of a fun game to play with fellow writers to geek out about our MC’s and maybe stumble across some great songs.

Pick a song that represents your MC or helps you get into his or her head space when writing. I’ll start us off! :smiley:

Character Name: Cate
Song: Cake “Short Skirt Long Jacket”
Why does this song remind you of MC?
Cate is the HS valedictorian at her elite academy. She can be a bit of a bitch, but she’s a very competent and wily one. :wink:

Character Name: Talia
Song: “Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson
Why?: Talia has suffered a lot, but only uses it to fuel her desire to help others. She is confident in who she is and don’t need a man if he thinks he’s gonna get in the way of her dreams. We stan an independent woman :clap:

2 Likes

Character Name: Kairo
Song: “Battle Born” by Five Finger Death Punch
Why?: He’s had a rough life and because of that he can come off as pretty cold. Even though he’s apart of a pack he still feels alone sometimes and that it’s just him and his wolf against the world. His past helps shape him into the strong individual that he is though. He’s battle born.

3 Likes

Yeah we do! She sounds like an awesome MC

2 Likes

Character: Luxora Azariah el Kelberos.

Song: The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars.

Why?: Even though she has a lot of responsibilities like ruling the nation and becoming a proper queen. All Luxora wants to do is be lazy and carefree as a princess. She would much rather let her brother or someone else take over as the next ruling monarch. Doesn’t really care all that much about ruling her nation.

2 Likes

Honestly, I feel that right now :joy:

2 Likes

It’s such a mood. LOL!

1 Like

Character Name: Lilith Guillemot
Song: Know Who You Are At Every Age by Cocteau Twins
Why this song fits: Lily’s gone through a lot, even though she’s so young. She’s lost her parents, and gotten dragged into terrible things. She always bounces back, but she tries to shove her emotions down a lot. I think the sound of the song fits her too, since it’s so… “wail-y”. It has a distinct sound that I think fits better with her.

1 Like

Character Name: Cleo Hilard
Song: Passenger Seat by The Summer Set
Why does this song remind you of her? Whenever I hear this song, I always imagine Cleo’s love interest, Scotch, blasting this on the radio for her. I think it perfectly describes how he fell in love with his leading lady. Not literally of course, because he doesn’t own a car or anything, but the energy and intensity is pretty much the same. :blush:

1 Like

Ooh, I love Kelly Clarkson! From your description, I feel like “Stronger” is a perfect fit for Talia. :smiley:

Ooh! Thanks for including the link. I should go back and edit my post to include song link, haha. I’m listening to “Battle Born” right now. Very catchy! I’m getting very alpha wolfish vibes from it. :wink:

1 Like

He can definitely give off those vibes. He’s huge :joy: He’s not the alpha though, he’s not even the beta.

Hahaha! Such a lovely song to chill to on weekends. Luxora sounds like my kind of girl. I would definitely prefer being a blanket burrito on couch to the stress of ruling a nation. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Luxora feels the same way. LOL!

1 Like

Ooh, never heard of the Cocteau Twins! Listening right now, and I’m loving it! Thank you so much for sharing. The song gives me such a sad, wistful feel. Lily sounds like a beautiful tortured soul with a heart of gold. Love your MC’s name, too. I also have a character in my story also named Lily–who has also gone through a lot of childhood trauma–but I turned her into a villain instead, hehe.

Ack, such a sweet, happy, catchy song! The way you described the scene with Cleo and Scrotch is such a perfect visual. If your book ever gets turned into a TV series, I feel like this song would be the perfect background music for their car rides, hehehe. :smiley:

1 Like

Character Name: June (he/him)
Song: Ghost by Ella Henderson
Why does this song remind you of MC?:
“I’m sleeping all these demons away
But your ghost, the ghost of you
It keeps me awake”

because his lover died, he’s currently trying to fight through grief and find self-love on the way. however, there will always be hardships, as it’s difficult to let go (the ghost of her keeps him awake).

1 Like

Character Name: Peeta
Song: Didn’t know my own strength (orig. Whitney Houston, miss her)

1 Like

Here’s the title character from Goddess v2.0

Name: Freyja Mendel
Song: Doll from the Gunslinger Girl OST (English lyrics)
Why this song? The opening line “A doll without a heart is born from warm hands” describes Freyja’s origin. A clone without any worldly knowledge, or sense of self, was created with good intentions; compassion, honor, and to give the lost a second chance. The song’s other lyrics depict the mute doll devoting her strength to finding the right words, and courage, to thank her friends and express her feelings. Freyja begins her life with a vast multi-lingual vocabulary, but no idea of how to use it, and she awakes in the company of two kind strangers sworn to teaching her about language, life, and the world. Sometimes Freyja will be uncertain about how to thank her friends, or if what she’s done is enough.

I also chose this song because it, and the OST, is based around orchestra music. In a future chapter Freyja is given an Amati violin by Krista (one of her above mentioned friends) so she can play for Dov (her other friend) whenever he is tired, sad, or stressed.

1 Like

So since my two main characters are Indians, I’m gonna put Indian songs.

Ashwini: Jeena Jeena (from the Hindi movie Badlapur)
Manish: Humdard (from the movie Ek Villain)

1 Like