Picking A Platform to Reach A Certain Demograph

I made a post on this on my Instagram a few days ago. I have been wondering about this for a while now since I’m writing a YA series set in the 2000s. My target demograph for this particular series is 15-35, which is both Gen Z and the Millennials (my generation).

I’ve been on Wattpad for almost a decade now, and I’m still not Wattpad famous despite. Yet the main audience here are teenagers. I just recently joined Tapas, and started uploading a new version of my series. The audience seems to be a little bit of teens and adults. I have been seriously considering publishing the final version of my series on Amazon. But based on what I’ve seen on my Instagram feed, there seems to be mainly adults who mainly write adult fiction and romance. They’re around my age group, but my series doesn’t just have romance in it, and it’s both a YA and a New Adult series.

Also, I get everyone is trying to save money. Myself included, but I do believe indie authors should be supported. Of course, I could just go the a traditional route, but I don’t want to lose control over my content. I also suggested to make my own website or platform, but that would mean starting from scratch and attempt to heavily promote it. I don’t have the time and energy to do that.

So what do you all think? I know all three are paid platforms, though I like Tapas the best when it comes to paid content. I want to reach this age group effectively, but I’m not sure.

So…does anyone have anything to say?

Well, I suppose you need to figure out where your readers are. Sounds like you have an idea that it’s not Wattpad. No romance? From my understanding that’s a bit of a tough sell on the story-sharing sites, which are dominated by romance-heavy stories and teen girls.

Where can you find the books you would compare your own to? Trad pub? Indie publishing? One of the story-sharing sites?

And what goal do you have for your writing? To be read? To be read and make money? To be read and make money and be on a bookshelf?

Oh, i meant that it does have romance, but it’s not the only genre in this series. As for traditional publishing, i don’t want to lose control over my content. Plus, I don’t want to stress out over the tiniesy detail.

• I don’t want to lose control over my content. - traditional does take away control of some things: title, cover, pricing, formats…but in MOST cases you get to be the final say on content. There are some publishers who will insist on being the final arbitrator of the story, but I wouldn’t sign a contract like that.

• I don’t want to stress out over the tiniesy detail – well then self-publishing probably isn’t the right choice - when you go the sp route - that’s EXACTLY what you are signing up for.

Oh, yeah, sorry, misread that. So . . . where are the readers for works like yours? What books would you compare your own to? That might be the first step in identifying where your readers are, and where your work will do best published.

Once your series has been up on wattpad and tapas, it’s published as far as traditional are concerned for the most part. Some will still look into the work if they love it and you are already super popular, but there comes the problem of - why buy the amazon version when folk could read the same thing for free on either of those two platforms?

as a note about traditional press- you still have a fair chunk of control if you apply and get an offer from small press. the least amount of control comes when you are going for the big 5. Also, unless you have expertise in marketting and graphics design, you don’t really loose much be relinquishing those controls. Most of us are not marketting experts and publishers pay for folk who do know the market and are able to tell what will and will not sell a book (cover, blurb, etc)