Pitch Your Stories!

I’m going to be honest, I kinda suck at pitching…

BUT #PitMad is nearing! And it starts on December 5th from 8AM-8PM. For those of you who don’t know what #PitMad is, it is “a pitch party on Twitter, where writer’s tweet a 280-character pitch for their completed, polished, unpublished manuscripts.” While I’m not going to participate because none of my works are anywhere near ready for that kind of thing lol, I thought it’d be fun to do a small activitiy on here! Whether you know how to pitch, don’t know how to pitch, will be participating in #PitMad or not participating, it doesn’t matter! This is just for fun and practice.

Now here’s what you’ll do…

• Comment under this thread with a pitch of one of your stories

• The next person will respond with a pitch of their own, as well as FEEDBACK on your pitch. Is the person above you’s pitch good? Could something be changed? Etc.

If you don’t know what a pitch is, here’s an example!

Gone Girl: A wife (Amy) goes missing, and her husband is suspected of murder. But the sweet diary-writing Amy of the first half of the book is revealed to be a very different woman in the second half. . .

Twilight: A romance between an ordinary girl and a boy who is actually a vampire.

You guys get the idea, right lol? Please be respectful of each other and remember, this is an idea I thought of just for fun!

I love PitMad!!

I’m not quiiiiiiite ready on my manuscript (Plus, I have a lot of connections that I need to run down first!) but I know it’s an incredibly useful resource.

@Loutka Have you got a pitch, or shall I start?

2 Likes

Awesome! And you can most definitely start. I haven’t even thought of one yet. :joy:

2 Likes

I’ll Give it a shot.

All Hallow’s Evening: “All Hallow’s Evening” follows the exploits of the Tricksters as they flood the streets of Valley Heights below. A sleepy suburban city surrounded by the annual fog. The tricksters are the spirits of the cemetery’s teenage inhabitants. These spirits emerge from the cemetery on the hill for only one evening a year. How will they spend this evening on All Hallow’s Eve?

8 Likes

Hmm…

Fuck. I hate pitching. I’m so bad at it. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Same tho

1 Like

sigh I guess I’ll start working on my pitch for The Black Lotus.

3 Likes

Mine was first so whoever is after this discussion let me know. I’m so not a book pitcher.

1 Like

Same, I can’t pitch if my life depended on it. So, here comes the beauty of this thread… or disaster. Maybe both. :joy:

1 Like

And someone please respond to @RyanChimes when they’re finished. Whoever finishes next.

1 Like

Lots of people compare their books to other books, but I’m so behind on popular novels. I read them like a year late, so I can’t do a comparative pitch.

2 Likes

I think this thread should be moved to “Improve your writing.” I just think that learning to pitch is a skill tied to writing and not necessarily chit chat. Your choice though.

3 Likes

Thanks! I wasn’t sure where to put it.

2 Likes

Question: how long are pitches supposed to be?

1 Like

Garden of Flowers: Garden of Flowers is a poetic tale about the Flower-Catcher and the filled to the brim with vanity Gardener. There was peace in Warden Woods, and the Gardener has disrupted that peace. Now, The Flower-Catcher has to return love and peace to the gardens, facing great trepidation. The Gardener destroys the pleasant scent of the Garden, and doesn’t understand that that the flowers are alive. The season of spring is over soon, and the Flower-Catcher only has the harsh cold winter in mind. He has to live up to the Flower’s ideals. Roses held love. They spoke, full of passion, cherishing their loved ones, wanting safety and prosperity. Tulips held honesty. With conviction, they would tell the truth, causing others to do so as well. Sunflowers had innocence. They never had a rainy day; all they had was the sun shining so sparkly in their face, with nothing else, blind optimism. And he needs to acquire purpose, a purpose to help others around him, regardless of the costs to himself. He did mess with flowers, but this was serious.

Soon, roses would decorate the ground, changing the color of the grass from green to a dark strong red.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m not sure. I’m guessing 280 characters since that’s how they have it set up for #PitMad, but I’m not sure how many words that would come out to.

4 Likes

Hey! Would you mind replying to @RyanChimes above with feedback? Just so I can keep this thing going. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh. I didn’t see that. Sorry.

This is pretty good. It’s short, and it’s sort of suspenseful in the end. 5/5. And you describe what happens in your story pretty well.

1 Like

Hey wow thanks! Such a positive review.