Please Let Us Block Users

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but this issue is bothering me and I know that there are others who feel the same… Why can we not block people? The best option is to “mute” someone but as far as I can tell, that just prevents them from being able to PM you. There is a specific user that I want to absolutely hide my profile from. Please, let us do this! And if there is a block feature that I have just completely missed, please tell me where it is :weary:

What’s the user doing?

Nothing related to Wattpad. He is a horrible person that I had the misfortune to know offline and I would very much like for my entire online presence to be hidden from him. He was heavily involved in the brainstorming process of my book and I know that he will be watching for updates as soon as he learns that I am continuing to work on it. I am almost tempted to create a new profile in hopes of hiding from him.

2 Likes

That is a tough one because of plagiarism. If you two were planning on writing it together it may be an issue but If it’s not their writing and its your words going onto paper, I don’t believe you have anything to worry about. I’ve bumped ideas off people before, and they helped me organize a layout for books. That’s writers helping each other. But If they are harassing you in any form or way on Wattpad you can report it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I believe they only have the mute feature instead of blocking because of plagiarism. I had my work on Elfwood before, and caught another user with my book on Wattpad and that’s how I discovered this website

1 Like

I think I might report him and see if that does anything. There’s no issue of plagiarism as it is 100% my work, that’s not what I’m concerned about. He is just a person I do not want involved in my life because of things he has done to me in the past and I do not want for him to see what I am doing online.

Sorry to hear about your run-in with plagiarism, that’s awful.

I just want to point out that blocking his account wouldn’t really stop him from seeing it. All he’d have to do is log off of his account and then search for your profile.

3 Likes

That is a fair point. I suppose a better alternative would be if we could change our usernames.

1 Like

You can change your username though?

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, I didn’t think you could. Thank you for that!

2 Likes

That wouldn’t change the fact that your book is in his library

1 Like

I second a block option. Muting is okay, but there’s a reason why I mute people and they actually don’t need to see my stories any longer.

6 Likes

One year ago, I was victim of minor plagiarism. I would LOVE if there was a way to make our profil invisible for some chosen persons, like for stopping someone having access to our stories. Will be great.

4 Likes

Muting only goes so far, too. It stops them from interacting with you on your profile… But if someone is being an a-hole in the comments on another book both of you are reading, it won’t stop them from replying and notifying you… And people can be really nasty in the comments. Muting is not enough.

4 Likes

I’d also like the option to block people. There are some real trolls on these forums and I’d rather not engage with their idiocy, nor give them the chance to harass and flag every post I make.

Wattpad has stated that the decision to add a blocking feature to the forums belongs to Discourse. Who decided not to add one iirc.

However, that doesn’t excuse Wattpad’s lack of action of adding a block button on the actual website itself.

WHen changing your account username… does it change the the webpage address to the point if someone refreshes on your profile they wouldn’t see it? I have stalker issues as well and I know I did this in the past and the person still found me even after the name change.