Posting Story Updates--What works best for you?

Hi! I’ve been on Wattpad for quite a few years now. I usually stick to a set posting schedule. In my earlier years I was very inconsistent–I’d go quiet for a long time and my reader engagement dropped significantly. However, now I’ve been posting two chapters a week (Mondays and Wednesdays) for about a year now. My reads are steadily going up, with about 7 new readers a day on average, but I was wondering if there are other posting methods you’ve found effective?

For my YA fantasy story, I’ve started posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the day. (I’m from the US.)

I’d love to hear feedback from both the reader perspective and the writer perspective regarding which posting strategies and schedules are the most effective. And, for those who’ve posted their entire story at once, how did that go?

Thanks!

I post on Wednesdays and Saturdays. So far, it’s not really working for me as my readership is sitting very close to zero.

1 Like

My readers know I update three times a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. I’ve been using this schedule for three years running and it works very well for me. It’s easier to maintain because I usually wait until I have at least 15-20 chapters written before I post any of it, so I have enough buffer chapters while I write.

2 Likes

Usually I update every Sunday, and since I’m a super busy, involved person I generally can’t produce two chapters a week. I definitely continue to grow my audience, but my currant work schedule is hectic so I have been updating whenever I can, and it seems like the amount of readers that would pick up my book didn’t change too much, but I do make sure to update every week. As a reader, I honestly could care less which day an author updates, I’ll always read it, it only affects the time of day that I read it, but unless I am absolutely in love with your story, if your updates aren’t consistent ( every week or two weeks) I often stop reading, or forget the plot-line and struggle to understand what’s going on.

2 Likes

How long are the chapters you usually post? Back when I only wrote on Wattpad, my chapters were on the shorter end (500-2000 words), which seemed to be a popular format on Wattpad.

However, now that I’m writing to eventually pursue traditional publishing, my chapters are longer (3k-8k words). I’ve started posting an early draft of my newest project, but I’ve been splitting the chapters up into thirds so they stick with that shorter word count format. (I label them 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, etc)

1 Like

I never follow what’s recommended, lol. My chapters range from 2.5-3.5k words, which is my own personal word count (and depending on what the chapter needs to tell).

2 Likes

Once a week on weekends. I’m mostly free on the weekends so it works

I update on Friday and Sunday for 2x a week schedule and Wed, Fri, Sun for 3x a week schedule. It does absolutely nothing for me, except it’s convenient. If people read it, they read it whenever, nobody is pulling on my sleeve to update soon, etc.

1 Like

I had a similar experience like you. When I was younger, I never had a schedule and just posted whenever the chapter was done. But this was honestly the worst thing I could’ve done for my stories because I didn’t try to be consistent nor did I care about it. So, my stories were typically posted once a month or once every two months at the latest. There were times when I posted once or twice in the same week, or once every two weeks, but it was usually monthly updates. Though, I am grateful for having dedicated readers who stuck around during the entire time as they were very understanding.

But as time went on, I got frustrated over this and decided to take a step back and get into a better routine. My previous book was an experiment for a new way to go around it. I wrote the entire book offline, revised it multiple times, and then posted it. For nearly two years, I marketed it while writing it, and I told everyone about the writing schedule I was going to use which also helped greatly on getting readers once the first chapter released.

I picked two random days out of the week and stuck to them, making sure everyone knew when I’d post again. It was Mondays and Fridays—Mondays, to start the week off with reading, and Fridays, to start the weekend off with reading. And for me, that helped a lot!

So now, for each new story I’ll write, it’ll contain a similar process.

As for a reader’s perspective? I honestly don’t care when a story updates as long as it’s consistent. And besides, I don’t always have time to read it once it releases, so it may take me a few days (or whatever) before I officially read it. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Consistency is the most important thing, and it seems you’ve got that down. I post every Friday, and I’m reliable, which is why I’ve got a petty loyal readership. I find that I need to post at least 2,000 words a week, or readers won’t feel satisfied. Longer chapters I’ll divide up, and I’ll post those mutiple smaller chapters (at least 1000 words each, no more than 2000) all at the same time. The multiple smaller chapters give readers a sense of momentum and a sense of a fuller experience, which is why I don’t for example post one small chapter twice a week. I’ve been posting 2 to 4 of these smaller chapters weekly on the same day. I know it’s not as good for the algorithm, but it’s better for readers experience, and that’s what I care about more at this point. So I’m nearing 200K total views even before the book is finished, so I like to think I’m getting better at figuring this all out. Good luck!

2 Likes

I post weekly and sometimes twice a week, depending on what I feel is right. I posted too much early on and ended up getting screwed, so I recommend people post around weekly.

2 Likes