printing completed novels

in the last few months i finished one of my novels and i realized i want to get it printed as a paperback i’m not looking to publish yet and i’m not even sure if this is the right category for this but does anyone have any good website’s they’ve used to print a paperback copy of their manuscript that looks professional for a good price?

Blurb.com is really good. I’ve used that several times for all kinds of book projects :smile:

2 Likes

Amazon KDP is probably the cheapest if you want just one copy. But you might have to list the book for sale, or at least allow it to have an ISBN, which will go into a public database. lulu.com is a similar service, but doesn’t require you to allocate an ISBN. They also allow you to mark the book as private, meaning that only you can see it or order copies of it.

3 Likes

@AWFrasier i’ll have to check that one out for sure!

@StevenJPemberton i’m definitely not looking to publish at the moment but i will for sure look into lulu!

1 Like

this has been a really useful thread for me too with its answers, thank you for posting it! :slight_smile:

Lulu is the way I went for my physical copies of 2 of my books. My first one was free because I won NaNoWriMo and a free hardbound was one of the prizes. The next book was about $22. Can’t remember the size and it’s currently packed right now so I can’t measure it, but it was about 400 pages and hardbound so $22 was a fairly reasonable cost IMHO I didn’t have to list either for sale or have an ISBN.

2 Likes

@palestarlightcowboy no problem!

@Prisim sounds like lulu is going to be a good way to go for me then. thanks for the specifics!

I’ll have to agree with Lulu. You don’t have to list it. You have a few different options for the printed version, too.

Publish it on amazon, which is free, then order a copy as you’ll get a discount as the writer. Unless of course, you don’t want to self publish.

No problem. The quality is also really top notch so I can highly recommend them. I actually hated marking them up because I got them to help me with editing. I found it easier to edit while holding it in my hand vs on the computer, but printing it myself actually cost more at the time since I just had an ink jet printer. Took more than one cartridge to print the whole thing and it was like $60 a cartridge! But holding an actual book of mine in my hand gave me all kinds of feels, even if it wasn’t the final copy :laughing:

I assume book printing has nothing to do with vanity publishing? I’d trust a book printer, as long as they’re not claiming to publish the book.

Two separate things. This person just wants a copy to hold with no sales. Vanity publishers publish the book, though badly.

1 Like

@MarinaM56 definitely not trying to publish the book haha. i mentioned that in the first post that i just really want a printed copy

@Prisim i have worked with lulu before like when i was in fifth grade and it was literally an assignment to print a “book” with them. i will definitely try them out, i want to losely edit my novel first, however to just iron out grammar mistakes before i pay for it haha

@SarahWeaver6 yeah, like @MakaylaSophia said, i just want a physical copy of my book

2 Likes

I was considering book printing, for times when I wanted to go conventions are print a limited amount of copies.

http://ka-blam.com/printing/index.php?page=Calculator&op=36 This is an option I’m considering.

An 80 page paperback is around $10. Not sure how that price compares.

Compare $14 at blurb for standard color printing. Uh $14 for just an 80 page trade paperback? I don’t think so.

Did some adjustments, for the print design I want it’s $7.30 for two copies at Kablam.

i looked at blurb when i select the standard black and white economy design with my page count it comes out to $4.22. i will not be making a big decision just yet, though, because i want to explore my options and edit my novel first before i go this route because i don’t want a printed first draft sitting on my bookshelf lol

1 Like

Is this for two or one copy? It does look like another good option.

For one Kablam starts out at $3.65 for this size of paperback. But they require you to buy at least two copies.

Which may seem weird, but consider that they reward in bulk pricing. So from my understanding, the larger the order the cheaper per copy of the book is.

What I’m wanting is a good option for when I sell copies at conventions though.

I believe you can upload your book on Amazon’s KDP and buy an author’s copy at a discount to review before publishing it. And then you don’t ever have to hit the button to publish it.

Check out the shipping costs as well as the purchase cost. For example, Amazon KDP does not print locally in Australia so their shipping cost to Australia is very high. Lulu would be cheaper for an Australian.

I would also suggest Lulu. I printed a copy of my novel for editing purposes. It cost me around 8$ for a 400 page (120K~) book and they did a wonderful job. It was also very easy to create a cover and format the manuscript. I can take some photos of the copy Lulu printed for me if you need an example of their quality.

1 Like

Is there a good point to use a printer instead of printing it at home?

My Gothic Romance tops out at 80 pages (in the first draft), so maybe 96-100 pages at the very end. (26,000 words or so, for those who count that way.)

Both are fine, really. It was just cheaper for me to order a paperback edition than to print at home. Cost of printer, ink, and paper and dealing with it freezing and jamming (this was years ago though) wasn’t worth the trouble again. 400 pages is annoying to sit through. That, and visually seeing it as a paperback really made it easier to see it as a future published work. Also, I liked the practice of formatting and whatnot, as well as seeing what font sizes work and don’t. For example, I printed in size 11 Garamond and now I know that next time I will use size 12 or 13.

1 Like