Process and Quirks of a Writer

I think screenplays are treated like blueprints more than anything else. Like the design of a movie or a tv show. You don’t have to provide too much on the visuals because that’s the cameraman’s job. You don’t have to describe the set too much because that’s the set designer’s job. You don’t have to delve too deep into the character’s emotion, that’s the actor’s job. Sound is the sound guy’s job.
But considering, as a writer, that you are essentially the cameraman, the set designer, the sound guy and all your actors, you can pretty much go crazy on the detail apartment if you want, so…
Also, I’m pretty sure Celtx is free, last time I checked (I’m stingy). But there’s also Final Draft as well and maybe some other script writing software. You might have to familiarize yourself with the format a bit but once you got it down, I think you’ll be all cool.

I went to film school so…
I typed up scripts using Word and I got berated for it. So, Celtx was kind of a must have.

I can understand that.

One big difference for me, is I actually sometimes write more methodically when I’m depressed. There was a time where I’d look for music that made me as depressed as possible, so that I could write more efficiently.

But that’s because what I write aims for something a little bit different, I want to illuminate a societal issue for society to fix, not necessarily make people laugh. Though if they could laugh and cry that be even better.

Oh and holiday music tends to be the worst about that, which is why certain stories have a different feel from the rest of what I do.

I’ve heard of that as well. I’m glad I don’t hallucinate… I feel like that would be even a worse situation. But with the lucid dreams, it has made me feel like it’s extremely real… :scream:

I typically use the method as a way to push through and force myself to write the words down. When you’re normally writing, you stop yourself at every second just to think. Whether that’s to contemplate on a certain phrase, where the scene might be going, the actions of characters, or more. And when you stop to think of it, you may get stuck along the way. In other words, you get tongue-tied. Sometimes, this can lead to indecisiveness where you go back and forth between these thoughts, but most of the time, it’s what causes you to freeze up and get stuck.

When you get stuck, this delays your thought process and makes you take longer to deal with. And this, in a nutshell, makes you struggle more and make you feel stressed out. With my last chapter, it took me two weeks to get through because of how much I struggled. It was a very complex chapter that needed a lot of attention between research and wording, so I took multiple breaks to relax my brain. I was overthinking too much and I could’ve finished it earlier if I had used the method.

The method allows you to push the words out so you don’t get stuck for a long time. So when you do this, you just write whatever comes to mind without a care. It’s more of a “go with the flow” feeling.

I like to put on an eleven minute timer (to kind of match a ten minute one lol—so I could put the phone down and begin writing before the ten minutes start) and go for it.

This method came to me last year when I was doing the Word Crawl challenge when I had a struggling scene to write.

Tonight, I used the method again and I was able to write over 100 words in those ten minutes. :wink:

• I have to plan out the beats of my chapter in my bullet journal before I start writing it or else I’ll literally have no idea what’s happening, even if I left off my last chapter with a cliffhanger. It’s like I’m swatting at a white wall, I don’t know what’s wrong with me. It wasn’t always like this though, just started in the past half year.

• I feel the need to have a mug of tea with me as I write, but more often than not I’ll forget it’s there for the first few hours.

• I’ll either bust out chapters like nobody’s business or write nothing at all when I’m stressed. During my senior high school finals month I wrote around nine 4000-word chapters or something. Not recommended but at least my grades still ended up being good😅

• I’ll normally have soundtracks playing as I type. It has to be the right music for the particular scene, too.

• Whenever I need to write a fight scene I first binge the fight scenes from films, RvB and RWBY because I’m convinced I can absorb their amazingness through osmosis.

Thank you Alicia ! I’ll definitely try this method… I think it may help me. As everything seems clear in my head but I struggle to put it into paper. I think I overthink too much on the approach/angle I want to take and it end up killing my vibe/ my writing mojo.

Okay, I need to try this haha.

• I absolutely cannot write at night. I get tired and lazy and I need my 8 hours of sleep. Evenings is when I’m most productive with my writing, although if I have the time and can force myself to do some in the morning, I’m absolutely golden for the day.
  • I (almost) always get myself a huge, 900 ml. cup of tea (or a smaller one of coffee, whatever I want to at the time) before I write to have something to sip while I’m writing. 80% of the time I finish the beverage before I even start.
  • I don’t always plan my novels… But if I do, it’s on a physical notebook. I can’t plan on my laptop and I can’t write on a notebook.
  • Can’t write if there’s anyone in the room, even if they’re just silently doing their own business.
  • Internet distracts me so much and I wish I could just turn it off so I could write… Unfortunately, I forget words all the time and have to use a translator to remember them.
  • Can’t write if hungry. Food is a must.

• I hand write most of my books first. Yes, most times I write 70K word novels by hand and type it all out. It helps me to do some sort of minor revision (mostly with sentence structure and wording) as I transfer from paper to a word document on my computer.

• I’m an action reward person. I can write in any situation as long as there’s some sort of established reward. (It could be fulfillment, say winning NaNoWriMo, updating when I said I would update, wanting to see my book it a new read/vote count etc.) So I’ve written on the train, in a movie theater, on the toilet, that one time there was a power outage and I was scribbling in my journal by the window — also, any time of the day is a give in.

• I absolutely cannot write without an outline.