Publishing Scam?

I received this message a couple hours ago. I get enough messages like this that I can usually spot the scams, but this one seems a little more legit and I’m not sure what to make of it. Has anyone heard of Jian Lai Global or gotten a similar message?

Hi Elizza! My name is Holly Layman, and I am a talent scout working for Jian Lai Global, an international publishing company based in China. We are searching for potential candidates to collaborate with to promote their work through multiple international platforms on a non-exclusive agreement base. Our company website is Jianlaiglobal.com if you’d like to check it out. We are particularly interested in your story, “The Hollow People.”
The reader platforms we work with operate on a subscription basis (a little like Kindle Unlimited), with the platform and author sharing dividends. At the same time, you are entirely free to publish your work through any other venue. Jian Lai Global will never ask you to shoulder any upfront costs or give up any rights to your work. Books that do especially well may also, in time, be translated into Chinese (only with the author’s consent, of course), which opens up access to a huge overseas market of voracious readers.
If you would like to know more, I would be very happy to refer you to our project manager.
Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you!

Please report the profile – they are breaking Wattpad rules by soliciting writers.

I vaguely recall this came up a while back, and the final conclusion was that it’s not a scam, but the contract and payment terms weren’t writer friendly enough to pursue. I think. It has been a while, and that’s from memory.

5 Likes