#Publishingpaidme

Hey everyone, right now is a very tough climate for every black person in the US and the world right now so for anyone affected I hope yall are safe and please stay strong and sane. <3

Interesting enough, right now if you all are on twitter you would see publishing and the wider industry to do with everything books is in upheaval due to the rampant levels of racism and inequity inherently built into its structures. My purpose for posting this is simply to share with you authors who are revealing their advances very publicly for the first time en masse. I will not, however, debate whether there is racism in publishing. That is not the focus of this thread. If that is your focus there are a myriad of resources for one’s education.

Visit the link Here: https://twitter.com/hashtag/PublishingPaidMe?src=hashtag_click

I actually went through the entire tag last night and the figures are staggering. The contrast between white authors and black authors and what they are paid in advance was just…frustrating.

1 Like

The clear inequity is extremely visible. No longer can we deny it. What i want is for publishers and platorms alike to really start doing the work to correct the inherent bias in their own structures and start being more transparent with authors.

1 Like

i went down this rabbit hole for hours. it was sad seeing other black writers lose hope in selling their books.

fortunately, i found some new books to read

2 Likes

Yes, on both counts. (It was infuriating, wasn’t it?)

2 Likes

Its sobering for a lot and very validating for a lot of black folk who knew there were serious inequities in publishing but didn’t have the concrete evidence to show it. 2020 is the year for accountability though. The industry will be forever marked by this. Yet again black women have to lead the charge to change.

1 Like

I haven’t published anything yet but I always felt that I would be paid less unless my pen name sounded more like a standard white name. It’s sad that these disparities exist and we have to be the ones to shed light on them.

1 Like

Must be nice to earn any kind of real money with your writing. I’m working on my 11th book now. After giving away tens of thousands of ebooks since 2013, I’m still earning less than fifty cents a month in actual sales.