Punctuation error in the Wattys bio

feedback_accounts

Just so you know :slight_smile: Hyphens are only used in three ways: to connect words (metal-clad warrior), to cut dialogue short (this is dialogue her-), and to cut a sentence into two(first part of sentence - second part). Each hyphen has a different position, as shown above.

I doubt it’s meant to be journey-ten, or Wattpad-written. :stuck_out_tongue: Though I guess Wattpad-written can be a thing, when talking about things written by or on Wattpad… Hm.

For the official rules I just googled

And yep. I am fully aware this is over the top when it comes to picking apart grammar, but… This is the bio of the biggest writing awards on the site.

ECPU III

Let it sit in rebellion

6 Likes

I just… Can’t. My inner editor just goes NOPE!

4 Likes

Close your eyes and close the site. Then let it sit in rebellion.

3 Likes

It must be fixed

3 Likes

It can be valid just as it is Sitting there perfectly

2 Likes

It is invalid and I will never be able to accept it

4 Likes

Is this grave enough that Nick can be tagged…? He is the content manager, after all… Hm.

2 Likes

No. You need to be nice and let it breathe :slight_smile:

okay, I’m leaving now. This was nice. I’m don’t have any “good one” anymore. I feel like I may be spaming… rules…

1 Like

I think it’s supposed to be an em dash, but em dashes show up as hyphens in the bio–it has happened to me, from the phrasing it makes the most sense.

15 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had problems with dashes on here too.

6 Likes

HQ should know this, though, shouldn’t they?

2 Likes

I would say they’re got bigger issues to worry about other than a baby typo that’s a result of their own bio formatting.

7 Likes

Like rankings that have been broken since May 2018

6 Likes

Oh snap! :joy:

4 Likes

Lol. Maybe this will score you extra bonus points! Good luck!

1 Like

Plus one more way: en dashes (the middle-length ones between hyphens and em dashes) are used when showing ranges, like 10 – 20 people, or Monday – Thursday.

Dang — somebody beat me to it.

It’s such a small issue, but as somebody who uses a ton of em dashes, it legit hurts not being able to use them in story bios.

3 Likes

…just maybe

2 Likes

probably the fastest way to not win a watty

16 Likes

Good catch! It should be an em dash, but it must have reformatted. :upside_down_face:

11 Likes