QUESTION ABOUT FANFICTION (THG)..............

Hi…
So. I’ve never written a fan fiction in my entire life (read them and had my entire chrome app filled with fan fiction, yes, but never written my own) and was wondering:

Does anyone still read Hunger Games fan fictions (or in my case, a story set in the same world but not with the triologies main characters)?

Or is this a dead fandom?

During my wonderful insomnia last night I suddenly felt like writing a Hunger Games story, and have the first chapter done, but thought I would stop and ask if this is something people still care about or are interested in?

PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks (and happy valentines day, rip)

EDIT: Slight warning, the story’s protagonist will most likely be an LGBT character… if that in any way impacts peoples level of engagement

EDIT: IF ANYONE KNOWS SOMEONE ABLE TO EDIT/PROVE FEEDBACK PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Hunger games isn’t a dying fandom its just not as popular as it used to be. I know plenty of people who would most certainly read it!

4 Likes

There are only two fandoms I’ve ever been able to get into fanfiction for, those being Warriors Cats and The Hunger Games. And I like thg fanfics better when they are written with OCs in the same world too. I’m not sure a lot of people write them anymore, but there are a whole lot of finished ones on wattpad.

I remember really liking two from the author arrow_to_the_heart. I looked them up and they are called Against All Odds and The Ultimate Sacrifice. I’m not sure how much I would enjoy them now, but I know I really liked the twists that were added in each.

I hope this helps!

4 Likes

Honestly, I’d be down to read some more of it too if you do want to write it! I like reading fanfic that takes the world presented but uses it to tell original stories.

3 Likes

I’m not huge into fan fiction, but sometimes it’s fun to read. I would probably enjoy reading a hunger games fanfic if it was done well. But in all honesty, I don’t think it should matter if the “fandom is dead”. If you enjoy writing it, you should write it. I know a lot of things I’m into don’t have super huge fan bases anymore or never did, but that doesn’t stop me from loving them. If you love it and want to write about it, go for it. Who knows, maybe your writing will rekindle some of that love from the fandom. I don’t think it’s dead anyways. Maybe not as popular as when it first became big, but that’s always how it goes.

7 Likes

I’m decently active in that fandom over on fanfiction.net; there are lots of active readers over there. O.C. stories about Games in other years are super popular.

2 Likes

You just reminded me of how much fun I had reading those when I was younger! My all-time favorite was one from Cato’s perspective on, yes, Wattpad. And I remember there being a really inappropriate parody on here, too… I’d say go for it. If you still love something, doubtless there’s another person out there who loves it, too.

EDIT: This thread got me thinking about Hunger Games AUs for my own work… OP you are a force of good in this community!! I’m very happy to be thinking about the series again. I’d also like to add that I believe another book is coming out about President Snow, so you’ll have a flow of fans right back into the series soon!

2 Likes

I am actively working on a the hunger games fanfiction and i love it. i would check out your story and so would many others. I’m predicting a surge in the popularity when the new book comes out in may :slight_smile:
post it!

1 Like

will definitely take a look at them, thanks! I’ve never actually read a Hunger Games fan fiction so this will be a good starting point I think

1 Like

That’s a good point, though I would be lying if I said I read fics on ff.net (HUGGGGEEE AO3 fan over here)

1 Like

Nawww I’m so good this thread inspired you to write something! That makes me so happy. If you do end up posting it PLEASE link it to me on this thread so I can check it out!

2 Likes

There are fans of every show book and movie out there, I don’t think you should consider not writing it because the lack of fans, you’ll find some. Hell maybe you’ll even be the one to bring major fandom back into it, you do you.

1 Like

I agree with the people above, that there definitely still is interest in The Hunger Games.

Above all, even without caring about THG itself, you might still write a wonderful story that gets people interested.

1 Like

Try to write it open - with enough details so readers who are not as familiar with the fandom can enjoy it too.

1 Like

I say go for it. WIth the new one coming out in May it will definitely rekindle people’s love for The Hunger Games

3 Likes

Username=Iconic
Hotel=Trivago

3 Likes

Thank you :joy:

2 Likes

That’s a good point, thank you!

1 Like

Is there any advice on what tropes to try and avoid when writing a fan fiction? I know the stuff I hate and have tried to steer clear but hearing someone elses viewpoint would be a huge help!

I don’t think I write or read enough fanfiction to be qualified to speak on this topic! Preference ranges from person to person. Some people hate OC’s, some people love them. Some people need characters to be written exactly how they are in canon, and others like new interpretations. Write the story you want to write, and I’m sure you’ll find an audience.

2 Likes