question about getting published in the philippines

So, getting published here in the Philippines is quite different from traditional publishing in the West. For one, there’s only one literary agent in the entire country, so unless you seek them out and they somehow give you the time of day, you probably won’t get a fair deal from the publisher.

One of my schoolmates in college got their Wattpad novel published, and the publisher gave them a one-time payment of 20,000 PHP (that’s about $350). That’s a little more than a month’s salary here in the Philippines, but as you all know, writing a novel is a laborious process that would probably take you months or even years (unless you’re doing NaNo, but let’s forget about that for a moment).

Does anyone know any publishers here in the Philippines who have fair rates or do royalties? Specifically, the ones who seek out and publish Wattpad authors. I don’t want to spend a whole year writing and editing multiple drafts only to be handed out a month’s pay for it. Labor is labor.

1 Like

Publishers give crappy deals everywhere. All publishers. Even in the west, the only way to get a good deal is to negotiate hard, know what you want and what to look for, and be willing to walk away if they won’t cut the bad stuff. (Few people do that.)

Can you self publish there?

1 Like

Here in the Philippines? Yes. I self-publish, and so do a lot of Philippine - based authors I know.

i’m extremely petty over the fact that all the published books i see in bookstores are all “I’m the [bad boy/ceo/jerk]'s [maid/wife]” or “mr. [hot/jerk/both] meets ms. [shy/nerd/weirdo]” or “[vampire/royal/mystery] academy” but this isn’t the thread for complaining about that so i’ll shut up now

Very few authors actually get as much as PhP 20,000 from a publisher for a book. Like, you’re lucky if you get that much for one book. Most publishers will agree to pay you with royalties. Unless your book does super amazing, you’re not likely to make 20k in a year through royalties. Yes that’s barely a month’s pay but no author here will make as much as a regular job with just one book.

There’s a reason why there’s not many book agents in the Philippines : book royalties don’t pay much. Since agents get a percent of what authors get paid, it’s not really worth the work an agent will put in. (And someone who’s been traditionally published for years told me no PH publisher gives advances.)

So if you really want a traditional book deal, just submit your work (publishers I know are Summit, Anvil, PsiCom, and visprint) and then try to get the contact you want, whether it’s royalty-based or a flat fee for the publishing rights for a set period of time. Whatever you do, I strongly advise against selling the copyright of your book or giving the publisher the rights indefinitely (forever) unless they give you, like, a million dollars for it.

(As for me, I’ve heard enough nightmare stories from my trad published author friends to know I’m sticking to indie publishing for the time being.)

2 Likes

I mean, yeah, for sure. I thought agents existed so the writer won’t get a crappy deal, though.

True!

If you’re in the Philippines, you can still try to get yourself an agent. If you write in English, I suggest trying to very an agent that works with New York publishers. There’s no reason why you can’t aim for a U.S. publishing deal. At least they will give you an advance,especially if your agent is good at her job.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

I guess I’ll uh, wallow in despair until I get the motivation to wild out on self-publishing.

No wallowing! You must write! Then write some more! Writing keeps the wallowing away.

Also, nothing motivates you to publish like having a completed book. Or books.

1 Like